Bus accident

RBM
Posted
Posted

I somehow doubt it will make any difference, hope I am wrong. Somehow the can't happen to me syndrome seems to kick in.

Rarely drive at night for reasons described above pedi cabs without lights, pedestrians crossing street without looking, especially bad if wearing black...Safer grab a grab.....

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, RBM said:

Safer grab a grab.....

Not necessarily so... L and I were headed to the NAIA last year way early in the morning - I think 2 or 3 am?

We had the hotel request a Grab. The guy picked us up promptly and proceeded to take us from Makati to the airport. The car was nice and he seemed okay, but he was not okay. He started to drift a bit across lanes on the expressway and his head was nodding - no alcohol smell, so maybe fatigue or drugs? Anyway, he slowed down in the right lane gradually until almost stopped. We spoke loudly to him to wake him up a few times. He finally did and we safely made it to the airport. No tip for that boy and we hope he made it safely wherever he was going...

However, after having said that, I do agree with you and try to drive only when really necessary at night. It is much more dangerous for a foreigner - especially if anything bad happens.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I dislike driving after dark but struggle to impress this on the wife. With the heavy tints vision is seriously degraded plus with all of the idiots out there driving in the dark is a lottery. Drive in the day is full of fun at the best of times.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Gary D said:

full of fun at the best of times.

And full of terror at the worst!!!

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Not necessarily so... L and I were headed to the NAIA last year way early in the morning - I think 2 or 3 am?

We had the hotel request a Grab. The guy picked us up promptly and proceeded to take us from Makati to the airport. The car was nice and he seemed okay, but he was not okay. He started to drift a bit across lanes on the expressway and his head was nodding - no alcohol smell, so maybe fatigue or drugs? Anyway, he slowed down in the right lane gradually until almost stopped. We spoke loudly to him to wake him up a few times. He finally did and we safely made it to the airport. No tip for that boy and we hope he made it safely wherever he was going...

However, after having said that, I do agree with you and try to drive only when really necessary at night. It is much more dangerous for a foreigner - especially if anything bad happens.

Not sure if this applies to Grab as well, but most of my MNL cab drivers (4 per year, to and fro airport runs/hotel) that I talk with about their job, report very long shifts. If I recall correctly (probable, but not 100% certain at the moment), I was told their 24 hr. cab rental ('boundary') was P1500.  Many have a partner who split it up with 12/12, but some do not... and grab some shut-eye in the back seat at either a slow demand period  or when they're near their limit. My last driver told me that he goes home to family by a 4 or 6 hr bus trip only on weekends and that his back really bothers him from sleeping in the back seat.... maybe at the cab garage or something.  He only starts making a wage after the costs of the boundary and fuel are surpassed .

I usually tip P50 to P100+ on my P190-230 meter trips and always promise them a P50 bonus right at the start. Sets a good mood up for some friendly discourse.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

Not sure if this applies to Grab as well, but most of my MNL cab drivers (4 per year, to and fro airport runs/hotel) that I talk with about their job, report very long shifts. If I recall correctly (probable, but not 100% certain at the moment), I was told their 24 hr. cab rental ('boundary') was P1500.  Many have a partner who split it up with 12/12, but some do not... and grab some shut-eye in the back seat at either a slow demand period  or when they're near their limit. My last driver told me that he goes home to family by a 4 or 6 hr bus trip only on weekends and that his back really bothers him from sleeping in the back seat.... maybe at the cab garage or something.  He only starts making a wage after the costs of the boundary and fuel are surpassed .

I usually tip P50 to P100+ on my P190-230 meter trips and always promise them a P50 bonus right at the start. Sets a good mood up for some friendly discourse.

Yeah... I hear you. I drove a taxi for about half a year. One of the worst jobs I ever had. My days sounded a lot easier than what these guys endure - only 12 hour shift for me 3 pm - 3 am, six days a week. No rent, just drove the company car and didn't have to pay for gas. So I drove the hell out of the Plymouth 440 ex-police car turned taxi. Few tips in Bremerton Washington from poor sailors or marines, but then they made smaller wages than me. Mine ended up averaging about minimum wage - good nights/bad nights all added up to average... Great job for a 4-year college grad!

I always tip service people - especially taxi drivers - unless their service is poor...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Yeah... I hear you. I drove a taxi for about half a year. One of the worst jobs I ever had. My days sounded a lot easier than what these guys endure - only 12 hour shift for me 3 pm - 3 am, six days a week. No rent, just drove the company car and didn't have to pay for gas. So I drove the hell out of the Plymouth 440 ex-police car turned taxi. Few tips in Bremerton Washington from poor sailors or marines, but then they made smaller wages than me. Mine ended up averaging about minimum wage - good nights/bad nights all added up to average...

I always tip service people - especially taxi drivers - unless their service is poor...

I was a taxi driver for 12 months. Bought a Minivan (blackcab) so I did my own hours to suit. Had plenty of dickheads who did a runner and drunks who forgot where their Hotel was and name of hotel and pukers I could go on and on. Ended up with 6 penalty points for speeding another 3 and I would face a ban, but that was my fault, 3 am and on a country road and speed camera hid away from view. sold the taxi and went back to Decorating houses. Less stressful.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I was a taxi driver for 12 months. Bought a Minivan (blackcab) so I did my own hours to suit. Had plenty of dickheads who did a runner and drunks who forgot where their Hotel was and name of hotel and pukers I could go on and on. Ended up with 6 penalty points for speeding another 3 and I would face a ban, but that was my fault, 3 am and on a country road and speed camera hid away from view. sold the taxi and went back to Decorating houses. Less stressful.

You will love this... I had a guy one time who was a bit drunk and asked me, "What will you do if I don't pay?" (He was a real jerk.) I said I would take him to the police station. He then reached for the door handle to get out, but it was a former police car without window cranks or door handles in the back. I headed for the police station and then he said, "Okay, okay, here! and paid me the meter fare." I laughed for half an hour after he got out!:hystery:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I was riding the bus one time and smelled cigarette smoke.  I wondered who in the hell is smoking on the bus???  I looked forward and the bus driver is smoking and also using his cell phone.  :Mad:

• Haha 4
  • Hmm thinking 1