Trip Report Part 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

I knew that El Presidente had promised to clean up Manila, but so had many of his predecessors.  The thing I noticed most was although still not great, how much better traffic was flowing even in the more built up areas.  Then I noticed a distinct lack of street vendors and cars parked illegally.  Seems the orders issued are being enforced and followed.  Overall, on the ride from Pasay to Makati at least, everything appeared cleaner.

Thanks for your detailed trip report, Brett. Sorry to hear about the laksa effects - L and I love laksa. If we ever go to Singapore, we will heed your warning - thanks again!

I am particularly impressed by your observations regarding Manila traffic and relative cleanliness compared to before.

I hope El Presidente can influence his daughter to do the same here in Davao. There are some improvements due to increased CTTMO and traffic police, but not a lot. Some of the street vendors have been moved, but they are persistent and seem to spring up anew like weeds from long roots. But there seems to be an effort. It seems good to me to see some improvements being made.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, BrettGC said:

First up, a cautionary:

Eating laksa (Malaysian curry soup for those that don’t know) from TJ Wang’s at Changi T2 in Singapore causes explosive pharmacy profits particularly if you have to board a 5-hour flight in the next 2 hours….

Nothing changed at NAIA with immigration; long lines, supervisor’s office is still in the same place.  As some of you took delight in laughing at on my Facebook profile, I was moved to the senior’s line so it was much quicker than it normally is for foreign passport holders.  I’m still not sure how I feel about that, but it did cut my wait time down from about an hour to 20 mins. 

We grabbed a Grab from the airport to the motel on Rufina in Makati, 206PHP pre-set price.  I’m really liking this Grab thing, no surprises at the end of the journey.

It’s appropriate that I provide full disclosure here; I do not like Manila, I never have, since my first visit there in 1990.  I’d rather be in Madras or Jakarta, both particularly dirty and annoying cities.  So, anything I opine with regards to Manila should be viewed through that lens.    

On the ride from the airport, what really stuck me is how much things had changed in the 2 years since I’d been in Manila.  I knew that El Presidente had promised to clean up Manila, but so had many of his predecessors.  The thing I noticed most was although still not great, how much better traffic was flowing even in the more built up areas.  Then I noticed a distinct lack of street vendors and cars parked illegally.  Seems the orders issued are being enforced and followed.  Overall, on the ride from Pasay to Makati at least, everything appeared cleaner.

As Guijo was booked out, we stayed at the Eton Mini-Suites.  Great location, awesome staff, very clean, actual hot water and reasonable WiFi.  Only downside was the room was tiny.  Good for an over-nighter but if there’s more than one of you for more than one night - we had three - I’d recommend paying more for a bigger room or staying at another venue. 

Did the walk to Greenbelt in about 10 mins on the Skywalk, had a look around the shops and for the first time in a long time I found something actually cheaper there than it is in Australia.  I now have a new pair of UK made 8-up Dr Marten boots to replace the much loved and abused pair I bought about 15 years ago that are finally reaching the end of their life rather than showing character.  Assuming they’re genuine, the price was just over half of what I’d pay in Australia. 

Resto’s are still generally good in the Makati area, expensive by Filipino standards but cheap as a Westerner and if you know where to go pretty tasty too. 

T3 domestic is still the same but the smoking area is gone so it’s gone the way of T3 international.    I don’t smoke, I vape.  Flight out of NAIA actually left only 20 mins late – a first for me.    

I hated driving through the Manila traffic in 2002 from Cavite to Angeles City. No street signs for a little help. We had to stop and ask directions many,many times. I always hire a driver nowadays. :shades:

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks for your detailed trip report, Brett. Sorry to hear about the laksa effects - L and I love laksa. If we ever go to Singapore, we will heed your warning - thanks again!

I am particularly impressed by your observations regarding Manila traffic and relative cleanliness compared to before.

I hope El Presidente can influence his daughter to do the same here in Davao. There are some improvements due to increased CTTMO and traffic police, but not a lot. Some of the street vendors have been moved, but they are persistent and seem to spring up anew like weeds from long roots. But there seems to be an effort. It seems good to me to see some improvements being made.

Fat chance!:smile:

• Like 1

PaulB
Posted
Posted

I bought a pair of Dr Martin shoes when in Manila, Robinson's Place, Malate, last month. Cheaper then UK and Abu Dhabi and pucker! I am reliving my teen years! I am sure they will be the last pair of work shoes I will have to buy. My only issue is I can't think when I will be able to wear them when I retire to the Philippines!

Paul

46DF2C38-BE10-4A24-ADC4-31C7B1CF7172.JPG

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, PaulB said:

I bought a pair of Dr Martin shoes when in Manila, Robinson's Place, Malate, last month. Cheaper then UK and Abu Dhabi and pucker! I am reliving my teen years! I am sure they will be the last pair of work shoes I will have to buy. My only issue is I can't think when I will be able to wear them when I retire to the Philippines!

Paul

46DF2C38-BE10-4A24-ADC4-31C7B1CF7172.JPG

I remember wearing Doc Martin boots in my youth, very comfy.

• Like 3

bob1965
Posted
Posted

I’m interested to see the change in vendors etc. Been watching the clearing on YouTube.  I like to wander around baclaran and that was pretty crazy with vendors. But I think we can thank the mayor, not duterte. 

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, bob1965 said:

I’m interested to see the change in vendors etc. Been watching the clearing on YouTube.  I like to wander around baclaran and that was pretty crazy with vendors. But I think we can thank the mayor, not duterte. 

People tend to say Manila when they are referring to the National Capital Region (NCR) which consists of dozens of different cities with different mayor's. I have noticed that there can be differences in cleanliness and rule enforcement depending on which city in the NCR you are in.

• Like 4

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jake said:

I've been known to wander off beyond the girly bars and just go out on a photo shoot when I first visited Singapore back in the 70's.  Famished from all that walking (and getting lost), I dropped by in this very small Muslim family eatery, specializing in all flavors of curry.

No menu, just point to your selection.  A few minutes later, they placed a large banana leave on the table, plopped down some steamy white rice and then a heaping serving of chicken curry right on top of it.  I remembered it well.....I think I just experience an orgasm of the olfactory organ.

About half way through my gluttony, I started to notice that some of the locals were whispering and staring at me.  I soon realize that I was using my "bathroom" fingers to shovel down my chow.  At the end of the day, I wish to thank my fellow Aussie sailors of pointing me where my ship was berthed.  Not a minute too soon......talk about a major bowel movement of the turd kind.  Yeah, the force was definitely with me....he, he.  

Similar experience in Singapore when my ship visited in the early 70's Went out with my shipmates to drink and have fun. Somehow I got separated and was out by myself. To this day I have no clue how I got back to my ship.:smile:  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1