The older gentleman and the younger lady

davewe
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

He didn't say anything about reporting it.

However he ensures the girl does not return is still asking for trouble.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
Just now, davewe said:

However he ensures the girl does not return is still asking for trouble.

Why is it.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, stevewool said:

You tell me if a crime is being committed 

I don't think he is in violation of Philippine law.  I know it may be shocking but the age of consent is 12 year old here.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mike J said:

I don't think he is in violation of Philippine law.  I know it may be shocking but the age of consent is 12 year old here.

Yes shocking , but again I have not said anything about a crime being committed, I have not said anything about reporting it to authorities, I have not said this gent cannot come again to the house, all I have said is this girl cannot come to the house to met up, I live here for the time being I have been told it’s my home and if I am feeling uncomfortable about a situation I will try to sort it out the best I can .

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Yes shocking , but again I have not said anything about a crime being committed, I have not said anything about reporting it to authorities, I have not said this gent cannot come again to the house, all I have said is this girl cannot come to the house to met up, I live here for the time being I have been told it’s my home and if I am feeling uncomfortable about a situation I will try to sort it out the best I can .

I was not being critical of you Steve.  I was only providing an answer to your question.   Yes, you have certain rights as a home owner.  That being said there is a right way to handle certain issues in the Philippines to avoid confrontations, especially where it may involve a Filipino to lose "face" or feel he has been insulted.  I do not know how the incident was handled so I am not making any judgements or being critical.  It may have been handled with finesse by either your wife or father-in-law and everything is fine.  

Ready for homework?  Take some time to search google and read about the following, it will help you get a handle on how Philippine people think, their emotions, and how they handle and/or avoid confrontation and awkward situations.

"SIR concept Philippines" - stands for Smooth Interpersonal Relations

"Philippines hiya"

Again, not being critical.  Trying my best to be helpful my friend. :thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I was not being critical of you Steve.  I was only providing an answer to your question.   Yes, you have certain rights as a home owner.  That being said there is a right way to handle certain issues in the Philippines to avoid confrontations, especially where it may involve a Filipino to lose "face" or feel he has been insulted.  I do not know how the incident was handled so I am not making any judgements or being critical.  It may have been handled with finesse by either your wife or father-in-law and everything is fine.  

Ready for homework?  Take some time to search google and read about the following, it will help you get a handle on how Philippine people think, their emotions, and how they handle and/or avoid confrontation and awkward situations.

"SIR concept Philippines" - stands for Smooth Interpersonal Relations

"Philippines hiya"

Again, not being critical.  Trying my best to be helpful my friend. :thumbsup:

It did not even cross my mind thinking you may have been critical, your advice is always welcome

• Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

From 'Republic Act 7610' :

ARTICLE VIOther Acts of Abuse

Sec. 10. Other Acts of Neglect, Abuse, Cruelty or Exploitation and Other Conditions Prejudicial to the Child's Development. -
(a) Any person who shall commit any other acts of child abuse, cruelty or exploitation or to be responsible for other conditions prejudicial to the child's development including those covered by Article 59 of Presidential Decree No. 603, as amended, but not covered by the Revised Penal Code, as amended, shall suffer the penalty of prision mayor in its minimum period.

(b) Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, twelve (12) years or under or who in ten (10) years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places shall suffer the penalty of prision mayor in its maximum period and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000.00): Provided, That this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition or acts in the performance of a social, moral or legal duty.

(c) Any person who shall induce, deliver or offer a minor to any one prohibited by this Act to keep or have in his company a minor as provided in the preceding paragraph shall suffer the penalty of 

prision mayor in its medium period and a fine of not less than Forty thousand pesos (P40,000.00); Provided, however, That should the perpetrator be an ascendant, stepparent or guardian of the minor, the penalty to be imposed shall be prision mayor in its maximum period, a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000.00), and the loss of parental authority over the minor.

(d) Any person, owner, manager or one entrusted with the operation of any public or private place of accommodation, whether for occupancy, food, drink or otherwise, including residential places, who allows any person to take along with him to such place or places any minor herein described shall be imposed a penalty of prision mayor in its medium period and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000.00), and the loss of the license to operate such a place or establishment.

This law applies to locals as well as foreigners of course, but as with so many laws in the Phils, largely ignored, UNLESS you are a foreigner...ripe for the wallet-draining, or pursued rightly or wrongly, by zealous foreign NGOs...who HAVE used this law in recent times, against both tourists and expats.

Best not to put oneself in that position.  

Edited by graham59
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, graham59 said:

This law applies to locals as well as foreigners of course, but as with so many laws in the Phils, largely ignored, UNLESS you are a foreigner...ripe for the wallet-draining, or pursued rightly or wrongly, by zealous foreign NGOs...who HAVE used this law in recent times, against both tourists and expats.

Best not to put oneself in that position.  

Agree about the dual standards for enforcement.   I am fairly certain that the 12 years old provision only, but not the 10 year age difference, is going to apply for a Philippine citizen who is involved in a consensual relationship with a minor age 12 and over.  Definitely not the case for a foreigner.  I just assumed that the members here knew about the law as it has come up multiple times.   Good that you posted it just to make sure for those not familiar.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I see it all the time over here.  Older guys in every country like young women - that is genetics at work.  Personally I would not have said anything about it, but your house, your rules. 

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Maybe he's a Muslim and she's getting on a bit. :whistling:

• Like 1