Asking a question to the misses

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I know I have problems trying to pronounce places here in the Philippines and when I ask Ems where so and so is and I have tried to say it as it is written  well it goes like this, Where is Pandacan Ems, ‘ where is where’ Pandacan , ‘ you mean PANDACAN ‘  yes that is what I said , ‘  it’s in Manila ‘ , yes I know that but where , ‘ it’s in MANILA’ then the lips show me some sort of direction, is everywhere over here pronounce by having to raise the voice to say it .

Yes it would have been easier to look on google myself.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, stevewool said:

I know I have problems trying to pronounce places here in the Philippines and when I ask Ems where so and so is and I have tried to say it as it is written  well it goes like this, Where is Pandacan Ems, ‘ where is where’ Pandacan , ‘ you mean PANDACAN ‘  yes that is what I said , ‘  it’s in Manila ‘ , yes I know that but where , ‘ it’s in MANILA’ then the lips show me some sort of direction, is everywhere over here pronounce by having to raise the voice to say it .

Yes it would have been easier to look on google myself.

You think you have problems, my gf has to deal with my glaswegian accent 

Calling her Jimmy does not have the same effect over here :hystery:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

What I don't get is they seem to put the accents in different places.

• Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, bastonjock said:

You think you have problems, my gf has to deal with my glaswegian accent 

Calling her Jimmy does not have the same effect over here :hystery:

Have you tried calling her Jenny !:smile:

• Haha 2

Mick
Posted
Posted

Same here, there is a village close to here called Karangalan..... But you have to shout the middle bit.... KaRANgalan or she does not understand... Same with the taxi drivers.... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

My wife and I have a little thing we do where I pronounce bangus as "bang-us" and she corrects me to "ban~goos!" Then it's "Bang-us from Batang-us!" And she shakes her head.

She has excellent English skills and even understands Western comedy and sarcasm but since we've lived here, and she's spoken native almost exclusively, she's become harder to understand. She pronounces some English words like they were Filipino. It wreaks hell with the deaf guy who is used to her American English.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2