Maids - renumeration

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Yes saving face, and keeping the money after the fact, and the presents we gave her, for her mother and her child, sure makes me harden up and in future give them SFA apart from their pay.

The lesson I have learned from L is to only pay casual labour at the time of service and not one centavo more unless you are offering a bit of gratuity. Pay as they go. I think for some that a week's pay - or whatever - might be enough for them and they are simply done... Part of the system here, unfortunately. But okay for them if that is what they need...?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I've lost a couple of good maids by not paying them enough.  Other foreigners think nothing of asking "how much are you making" and offering more.  Good maids are hard to get and foreigners have no conscience insofar as stealing a maid.  Could be what happened to your last one but she would never tell you.  So how much to pay?  As much as you think she is worth so if someone steals her off you then you can have a chuckle and know she ain't worth what they are paying her.  Funny thing is they NEVER come to you and say "Joe offered me a thousand more than you are paying so can you give me a raise."  Never.  They are emparrassed to leave you but they do it without a word.

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

The lesson I have learned from L is to only pay casual labour at the time of service and not one centavo more unless you are offering a bit of gratuity. Pay as they go. I think for some that a week's pay - or whatever - might be enough for them and they are simply done... Part of the system here, unfortunately. But okay for them if that is what they need...?

Tommy, are you saying pay them weekly. even if they are live in?

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I've lost a couple of good maids by not paying them enough.  Other foreigners think nothing of asking "how much are you making" and offering more.  Good maids are hard to get and foreigners have no conscience insofar as stealing a maid.  Could be what happened to your last one but she would never tell you.  So how much to pay?  As much as you think she is worth so if someone steals her off you then you can have a chuckle and know she ain't worth what they are paying her.  Funny thing is they NEVER come to you and say "Joe offered me a thousand more than you are paying so can you give me a raise."  Never.  They are emparrassed to leave you but they do it without a word.

Dave you must have listening device installed in our house, because that was exactly what we were just saying, and even more as my partner said "she couldn't even cook", and thick as a brick as I showed her a few times how to do a simple stir fry but she couldn't quite get her head around that one, and of course you have heard of "couldn't boil and egg" well I found one.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Onemore52 said:

Tommy, are you saying pay them weekly. even if they are live in?

I cannot say that is a definitive answer. However, it makes a lot of sense. They do not live like some of us who are accustomed to a monthly salary and how to budget for this.

L had a live-in for a while a few years ago. One day she said she wanted to go back to her home in the province. L paid her wage, gave her some extra for her trip (is this sounding familiar now?) and sent her on her way. Only after the worker was gone did she notice a few things in the house missing. And, of course, never heard from the worker again...

Even if your helper is qualified and reliable, she or he may just need or desire to have some cash on a weekly basis. Your worker may wish to send money back home if it is not near your location. Most islanders of all nations I have visited live from paycheck to paycheck which is usually week to week (and sometimes even day to day).

Sorry for the long answer to a short question...

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Tommy, thanks for the reply and what you said helps me better understand how it works, no we haven't gone looking yet for what is missing, but yes but, I did notice the other day that a multi-charger was missing from the kitchen, a very nice one because it had 2 usb chargers included, oh well I don't have to read any Sherlock Holmes novels to sort this one out.

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Tommy, thanks for the reply and what you said helps me better understand how it works, no we haven't gone looking yet for what is missing, but yes but, I did notice the other day that a multi-charger was missing from the kitchen, a very nice one because it had 2 usb chargers included, oh well I don't have to read any Sherlock Holmes novels to sort this one out.

Be careful about that Onemore... I have had two items in the apartment "go missing," in the last three weeks. One was my favourite coffee cup and another were several pens.

I thought about the working student right away. But he seems so squeaky clean honest...

Then, embarrassingly, last week, I found my coffee cup in the microwave where I placed it for a coffee reheat then forgot about it.... Duh!!! Then I found, also the pens - tucked away, by me, in a part of a drawer which I rarely visit. So try to be very sure before you blame the hired help. In my case, I am the unhired helpless!!!!:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Tommy, the multi plug board was sitting on the kitchen bench with a couple of appliances plugged into, so of a morning I would plug my phone into the USB connector while I boiled the jug.

I cannot blame the maid because too many of my partners cousins, nieces, brother-in- laws and so on visit the house at any time of day, of course without notice, so what more can I say. I do always check when they leave that the TV and washing machine are still there and that the dogs are still there also.

I do get into trouble when people start befriending our dogs when they visit, that to me is something waiting to happen.

Cheers everyone ,

It's beer O'clock thanks for insight and another lesson learned for me, or is it learnt?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Onemore52 said:

another lesson learned for me, or is it learnt?

Beware the Grammar Police Cometh At some point  :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

I do get into trouble when people start befriending our dogs when they visit, that to me is something waiting to happen.

Just be careful that one day you may awaken outside in the sun and see your house, dogs, woman, everything is gone. Then, my friend, you might have a serious issue to deal with? (Just kidding you, Onemore...:laugh:)

Enjoy your beer(s)...!!!