Hands up, I made a big mistake

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 2/11/2020 at 1:34 AM, jimeve said:

Before I built this house I stayed with my inlaws for extended vacations (holidays) 2/3 months every year, from 2002 to 20014. No problems at all, in fact I couldn't have asked for better inlaws.

I must be lucky, wife has 7 siblings all are working and not one has asked for money nor have the wife's parents. :thumbsup:

My experience is similar to yours Jim.  My wife's oldest sister works OFW as a nurse. She will insist on paying when going out to dinner and she insisted on paying her own way when she vacationed with us in Hong Kong. The inlaws added a large bedroom to their home for us to stay in when we visit and didn't ask anything from us. We do help from time to time or pitch in with my wife's other siblings to buy something nice for her parents. We have helped several of her siblings, but in all cases it resulted in them gaining long term employment so they can take care of themselves.

Only problem I have is that their home in the mountains is a bit too remote for me and I get bored. No internet, not even a cell phone signal at their house. Plus I can  only watch so much Vice Ganda!

• Like 5

Curly Howard
Posted
Posted

Happy expat rule #3; ALWAYS live at least 2 islands over, or 8 hours travel, from HER family. WTHell were you thinking?

stevewool
Posted
Posted
On 2/12/2020 at 5:20 PM, hk blues said:

I don't know - they seem to have "inherited" a property out of the situation.  

The property can and is still our base for how ever long we would like it to be, and as long as I keep my big mouth shut about not stopping there for more then 1 night each year or when ever then I can see no reason why the family should inherit the house , but I know stranger things do happen at sea.

End of the day Emma will get her share of the lot when it comes up for sale , for the time being she has made a nice place for her dad , plus the most important thing is I know Marikina is not a place I want to call home .

If it all backfires on Ems and her family do the dirty  on her , well I would have been proven right all along in my thoughts on how they are , but if it turns out alright , then I was wrong .

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

The problem is that whilst the father is alive there is only one owner, when he passes there will be multiple owners all jokeying for more than their share. We are having similar problems with some of the land on Negros. There are always the greedy ones in the family.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Curly Howard said:

Happy expat rule #3; ALWAYS live at least 2 islands over, or 8 hours travel, from HER family. WTHell were you thinking?

Nah - then they will stay for an extended time when they do visit

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Nah - then they will stay for an extended time when they do visit

And you will likely be picking up their return fare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

The property can and is still our base for how ever long we would like it to be, and as long as I keep my big mouth shut about not stopping there for more then 1 night each year or when ever then I can see no reason why the family should inherit the house , but I know stranger things do happen at sea.

End of the day Emma will get her share of the lot when it comes up for sale , for the time being she has made a nice place for her dad , plus the most important thing is I know Marikina is not a place I want to call home .

If it all backfires on Ems and her family do the dirty  on her , well I would have been proven right all along in my thoughts on how they are , but if it turns out alright , then I was wrong .

Steve - I put inherited in quotes to show It wasn't to be taken literally. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, stevewool said:

plus the most important thing is I know Marikina is not a place I want to call home .

You should spend some time in Subic Bay Freeport.  It might be the peace and quite you are looking for.  Far enough from family.  Downsides are higher cost and a very wet rainy season.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Steve - I put inherited in quotes to show It wasn't to be taken literally. 

That’s what happens when you dont read the replies proper , sorry

• Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Gary D said:

The problem is that whilst the father is alive there is only one owner, when he passes there will be multiple owners all jokeying for more than their share. We are having similar problems with some of the land on Negros. There are always the greedy ones in the family.

I have tried telling Emma that until I am blue in the face and all I get is ( my family won’t do that) ok they may not but I guarantee the brother in laws will be demanding there wives for the share .

Edited by stevewool
Spelling