Retirement visa

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Happy to be wrong on this.

Mick not sure of your circumstances but if you're married to a Filipina 13a visa is an option.

If I would have known how much it was going to cost me to leave the country each time I travel on the 13a, I would have taken a longer look at the PRA options.  If you can do a PRA for $1500 that is a great deal, especially if they waive some of these travel costs.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

If I would have known how much it was going to cost me to leave the country each time I travel on the 13a, I would have taken a longer look at the PRA options.  If you can do a PRA for $1500 that is a great deal, especially if they waive some of these travel costs.

Given my impending marriage this week I'm still tossing up between the two.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Given my impending marriage this week I'm still tossing up between the two.

13A usually takes a lot longer too, if you are living here.  One year probation before you get the final 13A.  If you apply for the 13a in your home country, I think you can get around the probation period.

Viking
Posted
Posted

You can find most of the info in PRA:s website.

https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/

I think the fees are pretty high, 1400 $ one time fee for application  and then an aditional 360 $ every year. Depending on your age and income, you also need to keep anything from 1500$ up to 50 000$ in a specified bank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I think you can do the U.S. Notary online now.

The Red Ribbon can be done at other DFAs too.

I have not done either but I think this is true.  Planning to try an online U.S. Notary soon.

That would be wonderful if notaries could be done online. I heard a rumour of that but not yet heard from anyone who has done it.

One year ago I needed to go to Manila since that is the only embassy. Since I was already there I continued with the visits to DFA for the Red Ribbon. I was told that Cebu DFA could also do that.

What we have not yet heard is how does it go for Australians, Brits and Kiwis?

By the way, when I checking the PRA online website last year, there was an error - I think just not up to date. It said at that time (one year ago) that a person must get the notary for the criminal record notarizing done in the person's home country at a Philippine embassy. Of course, that is no longer the case - at least with Americans.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Gary D said:

I think you have to lodge the deposit  before you  buy the condo, after is too late.

There is a whole set of rules regarding using a condo or apartment or other investment as the long-term deposit. I skimmed it and - at first blush - it appeared that I cannot use our new home for this, so I skipped it for now and just ponied up the cash. I will review it further to see if I really might be able to do that. It would be good to free up the cash.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

What we have not yet heard is how does it go for Australians, Brits and Kiwis?

Speaking to staff at the Australian embassy in Manila a few weeks ago, there are plans for an online service "in the not-to-distant future".  I read this as taking up to two years.  18 months is my planned permanent move here so my feeling is that whichever way I go, 13A or SRRV, I'll be visiting Manila at least once during either process.  Again, as Don stated, that depends on whether I begin the process for either in Australia or PI.  Either that or I'll be making a trip to Canberra to visit the PI Embassy at some point as PI recently closed their Brisbane (my closest) consulate so Manila upon arrival is actually more convenient for me - I'm in Cairns, look it up, it's long flight to Canberra. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 2/12/2020 at 7:30 AM, Tommy T. said:

it appeared that I cannot use our new home for this

I would say no as you dont own the land but different with a condo.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 2/12/2020 at 7:25 AM, Tommy T. said:

One year ago I needed to go to Manila since that is the only embassy.

For those not aware there is a USA embassy office in Cebu with limited hours and functions.  I plan on going there later this year for passport renewal.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/citizenship-services/consular-agency-cebu/

The Consular Agency in Cebu is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:00am to 10:30am.  No appointment is needed; services are offered on a walk-in basis.  During opening hours, the U.S. Consular Agency in Cebu provides notarial services and special consular services for Americans citizens including assistance regarding deaths, arrests, and the welfare and whereabouts of American citizens in the Philippines.  Americans planning to marry in the Philippines may execute an “Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage.”  The Consular Agency also accepts applications for passport renewal.  Applications are then sent to the U.S. Embassy in Manila for adjudication.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and Adult Derivative Citizenship applications are executed at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.  First-time passport applicants, who have not been previously documented as U.S. citizens, should view the requirements listed here. First time passport applicants, who have been documented as U.S. citizens, should review the requirements listed here.

The Consular Agency is located on the Ground Floor of the Waterfront Hotel, Lahug.  Their contact number is (032) 231-1261.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I plan on going there later this year for passport renewal.

FYI Mike... I renewed my passport a year and a half ago. I did it totally by courier - no visits necessary to any embassy. I just followed instructions on the US embassy website, including using a courier service that they recommend. The courier supplied one day service and was very inexpensive - something like P300 round trip? I don't remember now. And they offered home pick up and delivery service. I opted to deliver and pick up myself because there is not always someone here. The courier company is only .5 km away which helped too.

It took just a few weeks all told. The most difficult part was going to a mall photo studio, wait in line to pay, wait again for photo shots, return an hour later for finished pics, wait while they cut them to size...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1