Retirement visa

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

If they're specifically listing SRRV and 13 (13A?) visas not being able to get into the country then I can't imagine anyone presenting as a balakbyan getting in either.

I was beginning to consider an SRRV as a way of getting back into the Philippines (if I get my house sale money) after the first wave of the Corona Virus passes but I don't think that's an option either now.

Edited by GeoffH

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm here and going nowhere so It's easy for me to say but it makes sense to stop ALL foreigners coming in regardless of Visa status - if the objective is to minimise bringing the virus in then it's hard to argue with it.   

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm here and going nowhere so It's easy for me to say but it makes sense to stop ALL foreigners coming in regardless of Visa status - if the objective is to minimise bringing the virus in then it's hard to argue with it.   

I really can't argue with that... from a scientific perspective it makes total sense.

Just... not a fan of being here when SWMBO is all the way over there and I don't know how long it will be (somehow it's different when I know it's only for 2 or 3 months).

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I really can't argue with that... from a scientific perspective it makes total sense.

Just... not a fan of being here when SWMBO is all the way over there and I don't know how long it will be (somehow it's different when I know it's only for 2 or 3 months).

I absolutely understand, and sympathise, Geoff..that's why I started the post the way I did.  Like all of these directives, they may make sense on a global basis but not on an individual.  I'd like them to have imposed a compulsory quarantine period for certain returnees (visa holders and citizens) rather than the more Draconian approach. 

• Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

I believe those foreigners returning as dependents of Filipino Citizens (Balikbayans) are still ok... as long as with partner, of course.  Usual drill. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, graham59 said:

I believe those foreigners returning as dependents of Filipino Citizens (Balikbayans) are still ok... as long as with partner, of course.  Usual drill. 

Its because the spouse is considered a Filipino. In this new notice dated March 20, it says foreign spouses and children are allowed if with a  Filipino national. 

entry.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Just a reassuring update regarding those with SRRVs. I just received a newsletter from PRA and here is an excerpt to confirm what most of us already know:

Greetings!

As we are all aware of, we’re sadly in these difficult times. There’s no denying that the present COVID-19 pandemic has invariably caused panic, fear, anxiety, grief, or massive helplessness among peoples and nations. For us at the Philippine Retirement Authority, we are greatly concerned about the welfare of our members, especially those who – despite having made the Philippines their retirement home and because of the current lockdown – cannot come to our country. Prudently, as the current crisis has affected not only the Philippines but globally, we cannot but bear the temporary and yet far-reaching inconveniences of our present situation.

At the inception of the pandemic in our country and marching along the cadence of our government’s Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ), we at the Philippine Retirement Authority have thus immediately undertaken initiatives to protect our members and employees. We have decided to close to the public our head office and satellite offices effective March 16, 2020. Also, while the Bureau of Immigration has earlier issued a memorandum temporarily suspending the entry into the country of all SRRV holders, we have assured our members that their SRRVs shall remain valid. Meanwhile, pending the closure of our offices, we have encouraged our members to send their concerns and inquiries via our designated email addresses and mobile numbers. This is our modest way of ensuring our continued services to our members.

• Like 2

brianmurphy49
Posted
Posted

I received my SRRV in February. I still need to get a police clearance from the USA. But I need fingerprinting done here. The NBI is still closed due to Covid-19 and I cannot get my fingerprinting done until they open. Then, I have to send the application and fingerprints to Washington. But, I can go to Cebu to get it "apostilled" or notarized by the consulate there. Any ex-pat who was in the military needs to only deposit $1500 US dollars to get this visa along with all the other perks. My wife is not Filipina, so I am saving alot of pesos by not having to pay for anymore extensions or exit visas if leaving the country for a vacation etc. There is also an approved associate for the PRA here in Dumaguete and he charges a nominal fee to prepare all the paperwork. Pretty well a breeze for me. The online notaries are fairly expensive, but it may be worth it for some. I believe you have 90 days after getting your visa to put that $10,000 into a condo here. Right now the interest rate on that money here is 0%.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, brianmurphy49 said:

Then, I have to send the application and fingerprints to Washington.

May I ask why you need to do that? Is this something special for ex-military? Just curious...

brianmurphy49
Posted
Posted

I do not know where I should put my response to Tommy T.'s question, so I am putting it here.

PRA requires that an original police background check be done from the originating country, not from an Embassy or Consulate. I already did a background check through NBI, but it went to Manila Embassy to see if I had a rap sheet. But after several months of receiving your visa, they need it authenticated and notorized as an original from the country of origin.