Retirement visa

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, brianmurphy49 said:

I do not know where I should put my response to Tommy T.'s question, so I am putting it here.

Can you see the Quote button left side of the editor? That will quote him next time. :thumbsup:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, brianmurphy49 said:

I do not know where I should put my response to Tommy T.'s question, so I am putting it here.

PRA requires that an original police background check be done from the originating country, not from an Embassy or Consulate. I already did a background check through NBI, but it went to Manila Embassy to see if I had a rap sheet. But after several months of receiving your visa, they need it authenticated and notorized as an original from the country of origin.

I am a bit puzzled here, Brian. I got an SRRV exactly one year ago. The foreign police check, I was able to actually order and receive online from Washington State Patrol (because that was my last USA residence). Then I had to go to Manila to the US embassy to get it notarized, then the Department of Foreign Affairs to have it "authenticated." As in the Red Ribbon thing. There was no way the SRRV would be issued to me before all those steps were completed. So I am really curious how you said you got yours BEFORE the foreign police check was completed and authenticated? Not doubting your story, but it just does not match up with my experience, it appears...

brianmurphy49
Posted
Posted

I took the Classic srrv. There are four types.May be they changed policy on that. I went through my authorized agent, plus when I got my signed papers with the card there were instructions to do just that and if it was not completed then my visa will be revoked. As I said before, my fingerprints and those of my wife were checked in the US Manila Embassy sent through the local NBI.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Same here.  Everything had to be done and notarised before a visa is issued.  The added perks of being British is the Embassy here won't notarise anything.  It has to go to the UK.  You can use an Appostle service though.

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I am a bit puzzled here, Brian. I got an SRRV exactly one year ago. The foreign police check, I was able to actually order and receive online from Washington State Patrol (because that was my last USA residence). Then I had to go to Manila to the US embassy to get it notarized, then the Department of Foreign Affairs to have it "authenticated." As in the Red Ribbon thing. There was no way the SRRV would be issued to me before all those steps were completed. So I am really curious how you said you got yours BEFORE the foreign police check was completed and authenticated? Not doubting your story, but it just does not match up with my experience, it appears...

I received my SRRV without having completed the police clearance. I did mine through Makati office and was assisted by an agent. The  instruction was that I needed to present the Police clearance within 6 months or a one year ( cant recall which ) of recieving the visa. Was a lot of hassle to get the UK police clearance apostilled, as Phil Embassy in london  gave wrong information TWICE but eventually with help from a relative it was completed.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, Freebie said:

I received my SRRV without having completed the police clearance. I did mine through Makati office and was assisted by an agent. The  instruction was that I needed to present the Police clearance within 6 months or a one year ( cant recall which ) of recieving the visa. Was a lot of hassle to get the UK police clearance apostilled, as Phil Embassy in london  gave wrong information TWICE but eventually with help from a relative it was completed.

Really? That's quite a bit different from my experience here in Davao. They are really nice and helpful here, but the police clearance from the home country was mandatory before my application was accepted and processed. So it seems there is a bit of thoughtfulness and intelligence in the bureaucracy here at times. I am glad yours worked out positively for you!:smile: 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

You can use an Appostle service though.

What is that?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, brianmurphy49 said:

I took the Classic srrv. There are four types.May be they changed policy on that. I went through my authorized agent, plus when I got my signed papers with the card there were instructions to do just that and if it was not completed then my visa will be revoked. As I said before, my fingerprints and those of my wife were checked in the US Manila Embassy sent through the local NBI.

Interesting...  I just had fingerprints taken at the local NBI office here in Davao. I have no idea what they did with them, but I did not need to go to the US embassy for prints. I just needed to go there to have my State Patrol police record certified. In a way, it was a bit of a joke to me - but an expensive one to have to fly to Manila from here, stay in a hotel a few days to deal with that and Department of Foreign affairs. But it's done and over and official. I need to renew the payment as soon as the quarantine is lifted...

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

What is that?

Government Authentication which I don't believe the PI is signed up for, they use what is called "Red Ribbon Authentication"  Similar and done through th DFA :tiphat:

• Thanks 1

brianmurphy49
Posted
Posted

This sounds more and more like a political issue that changes as the wind.

Apostille service is a service that takes your police clearance certificate and notorizes it as an authentic document coming from the US (or other government). The only way that the PRA will accept that certificate if it is notorized as such, which can be done by a US consulate or embassy. Apostille services will do that in the USA before sending it to you. Approximate charge is $75.00 US per certificate, more if rushed.