Philippines officially terminates VFA with US

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

This could get ugly.  Two hard headed presidents trying to see who can pee the highest on the post.  I hope there is no negative impact that will flow down to American expats.

https://globalnation.inquirer.net/185186/fwd-breaking-philippines-officially-terminates-vfa-with-us

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines has officially sent the notice to terminate the Visiting Forces Agreement to the United States.

Malacañang on Tuesday confirmed that the notice has been signed by Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro “Teddy Boy” Locsin, Jr. and sent to the US government on the same day.

“The President directed Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea to tell Secretary Teddy Boy Locsin of the Foreign Affairs to send the notice of termination to the US government last night. And the Executive Secretary sent the message to Secretary Teddy Boy Locsin, and the latter signed the notice of termination and then sent it to the US government today,” Presidential spokesman Panelo told a press briefing.

According to Panelo, the termination will take effect after 180 days from now.

Locsin in a tweet said the Deputy Chief of Mission of the US Embassy has received the notice of termination.

“As a diplomatic courtesy there will be no further factual announcements following this self-explanatory development,” the country’s top diplomat said

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Mike J said:

This could get ugly.

Ugly for who :hystery:

I did a quick google (went 4 pages) and no US news outlet has even run a story about this. This so far below the US radar that it doesn't even make news in the defense times lol.

IMHO with modern force projection methods Pres D really overestimates the stratigik value of the Phil in todays modern battlefield.  

This will end up hurting the Phil much more than the USA.

Pres D wants to signal that he is no longer dependent on the US...."be careful what you wish for" springs to mind :wait_80_anim_gif:

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yup, just plain stupid for the Philippines.  No more training exercises.  I read an article on FB yesterday.  Search MaxDefense on FB.

"With VFA about to be scrapped, would the Philippine Air Force really want to be trained by the People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) who can't even beat the Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF) during air combat training exercises?

Guess who trains the flyboys of the RTAF? No other than the US Air Force, the same guys currently training the Philippine Air Force, and is expected to stop deploying to the Philippines once VFA is out as there's no provision to protect their stay in the Philippines anymore.

Ang tatalino talaga ng so-called best and brightest sa gobyerno ng Pilipinas!

https://www.ainonline.com/…/plaaf-senior-pilot-reveals-poor…"

I wonder if it means the U.S. ships will no longer be able to dock here in Subic.  Millions in lost revenues for local business.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

No more training exercises

not just training....this goes way, way deeper.

The Phil AF is getting kobra gunships, from Jordan (who got them from the US) But just guess where the spare parts come from :571c66d400c8c_1(103):. Remember the F14s Iran had???? In two years all were grounded.

Kiss good by the US Navy landing troops to set up tents after a typhoon. Or helos flying inland to evacuate villages. The US will still send relief supplies, but just drop them off on the Dock.

the Specials forces in Palawan will be pulled out, not a big presence just training and advisory. But they are the conduit for all intel about the Abus and ISIS operating in Mindanao  

• Like 4

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted (edited)

As I understand it however, this would not affect EDCA.  That is the agreement where the US parks supplies and equipment at 6 strategic bases within PH that have been agreed to, and can lease those areas on an as-needed basis.  

Strategically, PH is in a tricky spot.  President Tr*mp may be a hard liner on China, but what about the next guy.  Du30 seems to want to keep the major powers in a kind of balance of influence, rather than letting one dominate us.  I just wish we had a serious air force, and some attack submarines.  

Edited by Marvin Boggs
  • Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Seriously we can't say the word Tr*mp on this forum?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Seriously we can't say the word Tr*mp on this forum?

Just keep politics out of it. Keep comments factual and limited to the topic at hand. For example:

There is a pending call between President and D which has not taken place yet. But I doubt that President will give into what Pres D considers to be a winning hand. The Phil is just not as important strategically as he thinks it is on todays battlefield 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I hope there is no negative impact that will flow down to American expats.

Hoping and wishing are not as good as a bug out plan.  See ya back in North America.  I expect to be in Canada next month and I am very happy with my timing.  What's that phrase about "Hell in a Handbasket"?  

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Hoping and wishing are not as good as a bug out plan.  See ya back in North America.  I expect to be in Canada next month and I am very happy with my timing.  What's that phrase about "Hell in a Handbasket"?  

Or, storm in a tea-cup

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I can go back, but this is home now and where I would like to finish out my remaining years.   So I guess you could say I have a plan and hope I never need to bug out. 

• Like 1