staying many years on a Temporary Visitor's Visa?

The Carabao Whisperer
Posted
Posted

I am 24´s and life  in palawan on a Temporary Visitor's Visa that I extend every 2 months i have around 10k$ in a bank account and 5k$ cash but no income, I spend around 10-15php a month. And could earn that online.

I am too young for a retiree visa and don't want to get married at my age.

The reason i live here is that of the low cost and nature. (I study/read all day).

If they ask for my funds how much do I need in my bank account and can I just show them my online bank account.

• Hmm thinking 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The current rules do say 3 years, but they are questioning some people about long stays. Depends on the office.  I have never heard them ask about income for a tourist. As Mike said, keep smiling and be polite :tiphat:

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Never been asked about income over the past 30 years. 

Wish I'd come here when I was 24 !  :biggrin:

• Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, The Carabao Whisperer said:

If they ask for my funds how much do I need in my bank account and can I just show them my online bank account.

I have been asked a few times upon re-entry at Mactan Cebu what my job here was.  In each case the official stated I had been coming here a long time so it looks like I may be working in the Philippines.  I told them I retired early and I choose to spend a lot of time in the Philippines as it is cold in Canada.  End of questions.

First, your experience will differ.  Everyone who enters a lot will have different experiences.  Second, if you stay many years as a tourist at your age they may ask you frequently what your source of income is.  I know one guy in his 30s who literally said "I drink to much and my family are rich so they give me money to go on long vacactions so I don't bother them.  It was true.  He died in his 40s of alcohol related illness.

But I digress.  Come up with a believable story as to the source of your income if you plan to live long term on a temporary visa.  They are getting tougher on that.

• Like 5

Joey G
Posted
Posted

OK... You have my curiosity... so you "spend around 10-15php"...  do you mean 10-15 thousand Philippine peso's a month?  And you have 10k$ in the bank and 5K$ in cash... do mean US dollars or ___________?   

I wouldn't show anyone my online bank account.  Think about it... it's meaningless... you could deposit/withdraw funds within minutes.  Unless you sat down and looked at your entire account history in detail, no one would really know what your finances, in that particular account, really are. 

Whatever you do... always have enough for a ticket out.

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Joey G said:

OK... You have my curiosity... so you "spend around 10-15php"...  do you mean 10-15 thousand Philippine peso's a month?  And you have 10k$ in the bank and 5K$ in cash... do mean US dollars or ___________?   

I wouldn't show anyone my online bank account.  Think about it... it's meaningless... you could deposit/withdraw funds within minutes.  Unless you sat down and looked at your entire account history in detail, no one would really know what your finances, in that particular account, really are. 

Whatever you do... always have enough for a ticket out.

To some extent your point about an online account, or indeed any account, is valid BUT they may ask to see the history and will see the pattern of deposits and withdrawals.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

To some extent your point about an online account, or indeed any account, is valid BUT they may ask to see the history and will see the pattern of deposits and withdrawals.  

I would suggest that a bank or investment account statement(s) is much better than simple access to view an account online. This has worked for me in various countries I have visited in the past to show viability of finances...

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

I would suggest that a bank or investment account statement(s) is much better than simple access to view an account online. This has worked for me in various countries I have visited in the past to show viability of finances...

Isn't that what I said? :89:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sort of... but maybe not as explicitly? Sorry HK... didn't mean to step on your toes...

Edited by Tommy T.