Kielbasa and Sauerkraut

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Basic and delicious... and add a nice loaf of rye bread to go along with it. We used to get sauerkraut with the caraway seeds in it.

I'm sure if you added ketchup they would love it. :dance:

• Like 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I bought a package of Swiss Deli Kielbasa and another of smoked pork a few months back, thinking I would make a version of Alsatian Pork and Sauerkraut (French). When that didn't pan out, I threw the Kielbasa in some split pea soup and had the smoked pork for breakfast.

I am literally salivating over your recipe, Tommy. Thanks for it! We're going to SD tomorrow and I'll buy some Kielbasa for this! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

It doesn't look like you made enough for all of us.   :bash: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, JDDavao said:

I am literally salivating over your recipe, Tommy. Thanks for it! We're going to SD tomorrow and I'll buy some Kielbasa for this! :thumbsup:

They don't always have it there so the hungarian sausage works okay too. They also carry the sauerkraut - it's in plastic pouches in the window but is "canned" quality. It is very good and not as salty as some I've tried before out of proper cans. But again, there have been times where they carry one and not the other and sometimes neither.

Their rye bread is really tasty and a bit heavy, like real German bread. I should have bought some to go along with the dish... next time...

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Great timing Tom. :tiphat:

I bought a jar of Mrs. Bubbies sauerkraut recently. I know what's for dinner Sunday. 

• Like 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
On 2/13/2020 at 7:33 PM, Tommy T. said:

Easy to prepare but maybe not suitable for Filipino taste. L will eat it but not enjoy so much... It takes less than 1/2 hour to prepare and cook...

Oh, my! How did I ever eat Vlasic kraut when I was a kid? I just made this with the SD kielbasa and it was so sour that I picked the meat out and ate it separately. I even drained the kraut first.

The kraut might have been a little old but it was unopened and in the fridge.

I already told M that when we go back to SD, I'm going to get that wine-fermented sauerkraut. No more Vlasic for me! :hungover_40_anim_gif:

• Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, JDDavao said:

Oh, my! How did I ever eat Vlasic kraut when I was a kid? I just made this with the SD kielbasa and it was so sour that I picked the meat out and ate it separately. I even drained the kraut first.

The kraut might have been a little old but it was unopened and in the fridge.

I already told M that when we go back to SD, I'm going to get that wine-fermented sauerkraut. No more Vlasic for me! :hungover_40_anim_gif:

Sorry for your bad experience, JD.

I didn't need to do this with the wine sauerkraut I bought at SD (brand name Paulsens and it's in plastic pouches) because it is fairly mild and not nearly as sour... But what I used to do with regular canned kraut was open the can, drain off the brine, then hold the lid in place and run water into the can and drain it several times. That softened the taste a lot, but it was still a bit strong.

That's also why I add some potatoes, because they absorb the sourness a lot, as does the onion, to some extent.

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 2/13/2020 at 8:39 PM, Joey G said:

Basic and delicious... and add a nice loaf of rye bread to go along with it.

Have to have bread with it. Twice as good!!

• Like 1