Tipping and giving

Mick
Posted
Posted

I always tip nicely if I get good service, in restaurants or if I have work done, then you can count on them later. Poor service..... Nadda

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, stevewool said:

...anyway she said 1000 each and 500 for the labourer, well I was going to give 5000  plus 3 for the labourer , in the end I ended up paying 3000 plus 2000.

In my eyes they earned it plus if we ever needed them again they may think I looked after them so they would come , or maybe not, anyway I asked if they would travel if we had more work in another area and they would.

I know I've been here too long when my eyes started to water at the amount you proposed! 5,000php would be more than a weeks wages - I'd side with your good lady on this one.

I reckon that being generous will PROBABLY result in a better outcome so i prefer to pay the 'tip' upfront if you like - I have had 2 contractors doing work since November also - I asked them their usual daily rate and added a bit on and agreed that there was no end of project bonus.  They seemed very happy with my plan - I paid 750php for the skilled worker and 600php for the labourer - about 20% above the normal rate.  

I know I probably ended up paying more than your 5,000php, Steve, but I think I got a good outcome using my way.  

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I know I've been here too long when my eyes started to water at the amount you proposed!

I know I've been here too long when I understand the language enough to know the difference between them saying hunghang foreigner and mapagbigay foreigner.  I have learned that our culture looks at generosity as a benevolent quality while this culture looks at generosity akin to "a fool and his money are soon parted".  The end result of Steve's strategy, in my own experience, is the next time the workers will charge more as they see you as foolish enough to pay whatever they want.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I know I've been here too long when I understand the language enough to know the difference between them saying hunghang foreigner and mapagbigay foreigner.  I have learned that our culture looks at generosity as a benevolent quality while this culture looks at generosity akin to "a fool and his money are soon parted".  The end result of Steve's strategy, in my own experience, is the next time the workers will charge more as they see you as foolish enough to pay whatever they want.

I'll soon find out how my strategy works -

Yesterday the guys finished  a project - a pergola made of steel.  At the outset we agreed the price based on 6 days work for 2 men.  I raised my eyebrows at the timescale but let it go.  They started on Monday and were finished last night - 4 days and Wednesday was a 1/2 day so totally 3.5 days.  I told them yesterday morning I would not pay the full amount - the 'leader' said we agreed on the price - I said we agreed on the timescale also - the 2 are directly related.  I knocked off 15% and explained it should have been nearer 40%. I need some tiling done soon so we'll see how it goes - I am not convinced my previous generosity will pay dividends and reckon yesterday's episode is the one they will remember.   

Moral of the story...you can work it out for yourselves! 

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, stevewool said:

As I have mentioned in another thread about our workers leaving, I was sorting out there tips as I said I would pay that and Emma came in and said that’s too much , so what would you give I asked her, remember they have been with us since late November and the only complaint I can say is there finishing off like painting and cleaning up afterwards , anyway she said 1000 each and 500 for the labourer, well I was going to give 5000  plus 3 for the labourer , in the end I ended up paying 3000 plus 2000.

In my eyes they earned it plus if we ever needed them again they may think I looked after them so they would come , or maybe not, anyway I asked if they would travel if we had more work in another area and they would.

Giving , since being here I have seen that there are different classes of people here and are treated also by there class, you get the beggars walking around the shops but where the house is you get some folk ridding there bikes looking for what call rubbish, plastic bottles , cardboard things like that, and I would give it all away , I also have lots of lengths of rebar cutting and I am going to give that away too, but the family says it’s money we can sell it, but I say it’s rubbish and how long have you kept it stacked in that corner collecting dust, anyway it’s my rebar I brought it so it’s going to the young person on his bike next time he comes .

I can't even screw in a light bulb without making some kind of mistake. Seriously. Minor work that I need is done by the trike drivers at the corner of our house. 500P and a good lunch each for a days work. And they do a great job. They clean the mess up when they are done.:56da64af91f92_23_11_602: 

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I can't even screw in a light bulb without making some kind of mistake. Seriously. Minor work that I need is done by the trike drivers at the corner of our house. 500P and a good lunch each for a days work. And they do a great job. They clean the mess up when they are done.:56da64af91f92_23_11_602: 

I'll do your light bulbs for 400php plus lunch and an afternoon beer or two.  Oh, and my trike fair home.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Im the same as you Steve well i was the same as you, when we first arrived here in 2011 and building our home i would think nothing of giving the workers overtime and a monthly bonus,but i was soon told not to as the wife says " we are paying them more than the normal daily rate and feeding them ! " im a soft guy who would give money to beggars until the wife showed me a home where one of the beggers lived ! As for our rubbish cardbord boxes,6 litre water containers, plastic bottles, glass bottles etc we sell the lot ! We employ guys to cut our trees, and odd jobs on a regular basis, and we employ a guy as our driver who we pay on average 500 pesos a day from 8am until 3-5pm and he eats with us.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I deleted a post.

Obviously some never read the rules.

Do not copy and paste a heap of links to other forums, blogs etc.

If you dont know how to break the links than just dont post. 

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

OOps. Sorry JGF. I didn't realize you had to delete that. Started writing long ago when it was still posted and had  a breakfast break before finishing and posting.  ONLY THEN, did I see you deleted the forbidden.

• Like 3