USPS Form 1583 - IDs

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm finally going to open a Travelling Mailbox account.  Checking on USPS Form 1583 beforehand, it needs 2 IDs.  I have my passport but I don't think I have any other U.S. ID.  Will USPS accept foreign IDs like my PH driver's license?

I'm trying to chat with TM but it is not working.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm finally going to open a Travelling Mailbox account.  Checking on USPS Form 1583 beforehand, it needs 2 IDs.  I have my passport but I don't think I have any other U.S. ID.  Will USPS accept foreign IDs like my PH driver's license?

I'm trying to chat with TM but it is not working.

They finally chatted.  Foreign ID is allowed.

Joey G
Posted
Posted

I never knew this existed. I went to the USPS site and I am still not 100% sure what this does... but it seems it will forward your mail to you (???).  That's cool... my bigger concern would be if it actually makes it to me once it leaves the hands of USPS. I asked the SIL if they get mail delivered since I never see "the mailman" going around. She said rarely, almost all their business is done on the internet ?!?!?!?!?!  which kinda shocked me... but I guess it shouldn't have.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Joey G said:

I never knew this existed. I went to the USPS site and I am still not 100% sure what this does... but it seems it will forward your mail to you (???).  That's cool... my bigger concern would be if it actually makes it to me once it leaves the hands of USPS. I asked the SIL if they get mail delivered since I never see "the mailman" going around. She said rarely, almost all their business is done on the internet ?!?!?!?!?!  which kinda shocked me... but I guess it shouldn't have.

The form is not used to forward mail to the Philippines directly.  It is used to authorize a licensed mailing address, like Traveling Mailbox, to receive your mail.  Then Traveling Mailbox can scan the mail or forward it if you wish.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Joey G said:

We do not get much mail here in Moalboal.  When mail does arrive, the post office sends us a text message and we go pick it up.  Not sure how common this is for Moalboal or the Philippines in general.  Our mail always has the complete address and that address is only about 1 km from the post office. :89:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Joey G said:

That's cool... my bigger concern would be if it actually makes it to me once it leaves the hands of USPS. I asked the SIL if they get mail delivered since I never see "the mailman" going around. She said rarely, almost all their business is done on the internet ?!?!?!?!?!  which kinda shocked me... but I guess it shouldn't have.

Mail is definitely delivered in the Philippines...of course. I have had my mail delivered to my house ever since I moved here and, to the best of my knowledge, only 1 letter has gone astray in 5 years. That said, I only received our Christmas cards 10 days ago and all arrived together! It is pretty consistently 8 weeks delivery time from UK to here. 

We even had 1 letter that had been on a kinda world tour as we live in a subdivision named Savannah and for some bizzare reason it made its way to Savannah in Georgia, USA. Still arrived here after 5 or 6 months!

Whilst it's true much is done online now, there are still certain things that are needed to be done by hard copy.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Someone might want to start another topic on Philippines mail service if you want to discuss that.  It has been discussed many times.  That is not what I started the topic for.  I was just hoping for a quick answer to a question.  I would delete the topic but that can't be done.

• Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Someone might want to start another topic on Philippines mail service if you want to discuss that.  It has been discussed many times.  That is not what I started the topic for.  I was just hoping for a quick answer to a question.  I would delete the topic but that can't be done.

If anyone in your family is a US Veteran, I can tell you how to get your mail delivered and received via the US Embassy in Manila. :Happy: 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

If anyone in your family is a US Veteran, I can tell you how to get your mail delivered and received via the US Embassy in Manila. :Happy: 

Wish I could.  I know vets who get their mail at Subic RAO, but I am not qualified.  The guy who runs Subic RAO rents the house that I rented when I first moved to Subic.

• Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Wish I could.  I know vets who get their mail at Subic RAO, but I am not qualified.  The guy who runs Subic RAO rents the house that I rented when I first moved to Subic.

If you know some vets who get their mail that way. Ask one of them to send it for you? Maybe? I would do it for you. Just use their name. When they get it they will know it's for you.:wave: