Blood Bank tale

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

This story comes to me first hand.  I won't name names or locations, just a public service message for those who may need blood.  

A friend took her mother for an operation at a good Philippine hospital.  Not a risky operation, but one which may require extra blood, depending on how things proceeded.  Doctor filled out a paper for the mother to receive two bags of blood from a certain well known international blood bank.  The operation was already scheduled for the next day, so the need to run out and track down two bags of blood was unexpected.  But that is just the start. 

Upon presenting their paper from the doctor to the well known international blood bank, they were told "sorry mum, we don't have that blood available."  What do you mean unavailable, they asked.  You are a blood bank.  "Sorry mum, you can fill out this request paper, and we can order some blood in three days."  A little bit unnerving if they were telling the truth.  What if she was injured in an accident and bleeding on the table?  "If you know someone with the same blood type, they can donate the blood.  But it takes three days to process and verify."  WTF.  

Friend decided this didn't really sound right, so she discussed with her sister.  Sister has some friends in City Hall.  She was told to bring her mother to City Hall for some other kind of endorsement.  So, friend takes mom to City Hall, they explain the situation to someone who knows someone.  So now we are at the level of pulling strings.  She leaves city hall with a new paper of some kind, to take to the well known international blood bank.  She hoped it would at least expedite the process.  

Upon presenting the new paper to the well known international blood bank, she was told "OK mum, we found some blood for you."  But I thought you didn't have any blood of my type.  "But its available now mum, you can take it with you."   

WELL I'LL BE DARNED

After the operation was over, it turns out they didn't need the extra blood at all.  But they still had to pay for it, and the well known international blood bank would not take it back.  I guess at least she can keep it for the future?  This story makes me glad I've never needed an operation, and a little apprehensive about getting older in PH.  

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

This story

Its not just a story.  I have been through it with my wife just recently.  Same same.  The only difference to our story was that my wife's family regularly give to the blood bank during what they call "blood letting" and that is supposed to give you special privileges to get blood when needed.  Nope.  Strings needed to be pulled.

My own experience needing blood was in Silliman University Hospital in Dumaguete.  They wanted to give me 2 bags of blood but only 1 bag in stock.  Fortunately that was enough because you not only have to find someone with the right blood type but the doctor has to decide if that person is too old, or too young, or the right race and weight, and not on any kind of medication before the doctor will allow the individual to donate to you.  What a farce.  If I need blood to survive I do not care if it is from another 65 year old man who also has type 2 diabetes.  Fercrissake that is ME.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If I need blood to survive I do not care if it is from another 65 year old man who also has type 2 diabetes.  Fercrissake that is ME.

I used to donate blood in Australia until they told me that my heart condition and medicine made me ineligable.

But as you say it'd have to be better than not having blood available at all...

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 2/17/2020 at 7:52 AM, Marvin Boggs said:

This story makes me glad I've never needed an operation, and a little apprehensive about getting older in PH.  

Yes nice be it shocking read and its a worry for many of us here.