Putting your foot down

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, stevewool said:

all I hear is you should take them off outside

I have flip flops for inside, flip flops for outside, flip flops for in the bedroom and have been told to remove my flip flops when going into the bathroom. As I finance this operation, the flip flops stay where they are.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

This boils my brisket.

We were very poor when I was a kid. Everything we had, had to last. Nothing was abused, nothing left out in the rain, nothing not put back where it was kept.

I wore metal and leather leg braces (like Forrest Gump) provided by a local charity. They came with ONE PAIR of leather shoes that were resoled and re-heeled when necessary. I polished those shoes every week and never stepped in a puddle that could be avoided. Why? Because they were a gift. 

How is it that everything they touch, they break here? My little niece broke the Samsung tablet we gave her. My father would have taken my head off at about the level of my spleen if I did that. Her mother? Nothing. When she was here, in spite of being told by me time and time again, she put a glass of juice atop our tower PC and knocked it over, spilling juice down the fan hole in the lid and shorting it out. Again, nothing.

I just used a caulking gun from my tool cabinet for the first time. I bought it a while back. Someone else had used it and squeezed it so hard, probably against some caulk that had cured in the tube, that they wore down mechanism. So when the plunger meets the caulk, it misfires. Clickclickclickclick.

And does anyone check the oil level in an engine here?

[rant doused for now]

No reason to regret your rant, JD...

I have talked often with L about these issues and she agrees with me. She just cannot understand why people here do not respect their belongings or their tools, especially... Perhaps it goes back to several previous threads that I cannot remember? But there does not seem to be respect of tools or property here... The view seems to be for today but not for tomorrow or beyond? Maybe we are branching into the territory of a new topic?

Actually, I think not. In my opinion, people should be able to express that some tools, etc. should be cared for and stowed properly (that includes oiling and de-rusting).

And these thoughts reflect back to @stevewooland his issues with family?

With tools and materials, I am strict and nasty as needed... If someone will not respect a tool (or even eating utensils) I will call them on it and L supports me always because she feels the same way...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

No reason to regret your rant, JD...

Well, I stole Steve's subject and made it about me. Regrettable, but at least my emergency valve works. :smile:

I know you have but 9 days, @stevewool but a lot can happen. People have no control here. Perhaps reign it in until you're back in civilization's bosom?

I'm glad you got results though. 

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JDDavao said:

And does anyone check the oil level in an engine here?

SWMBO papa is very strict about checking the oil, checking the tyre pressure, washing the vehicles but he was a taxi driver for a long long time and that is how he supported his family and down time in the taxi meant no income.

Now he treats the cars in the family the same way (and he is, unlike most younger taxi drivers I come across very cautious).

I can't say that it's exactly a common attitude in my experience...

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, stevewool said:

A little late in coming but it sure feels good .

Over the last few days I have been voicing my opinions loud so everyone can hear them when I speak and is it making a difference to them, not really but to me it feels good.

The bil well he gets both barrels every time he does something wrong as everybody else just says nothing , like when he washes dishes so quickly he breaks one, no sorry nothing so I tell him and it feels good, it was his birthday the other day he’s now 43 and I know he’s been asking Ems for money and I do know Emma has very little cash so I told her to tell him Steve has all the cash, did I hear a word from him , nothing but I could hear him wanting drinks for a party and even a few people came knocking at the door for this drinks party , well they was told nicely there is no drinks and no party either.

The family came for a visit the other day with just a few of there kids and it was not long before the foghorns was getting louder and then there was the climbing on the furniture and everyone was having fun until Steve said get your feet of the furniture it’s for your backside not a climbing frame, then it was the adults saying to the kids ‘ talk English to uncle Steve ‘ but only one or two would yet they all go to college and they all can speak perfect English , so I just said I am happy that they will not speak English to me that way I don’t have to say anything or buy anything for them if I cannot understand them .

I did threaten to leave the other day as they just don’t seem to respect anything or have pride in what they have, they was moving lots of tin roofing sheets and I could see them just swinging them about and hitting the walls, so I just said if you mark these walls that it’s I am leaving , you could hear a pin drop or was that a click of a gun being cocked , anyway  they did slow down and put up a wooded sheet to protect the paintwork, I am sure they cannot wait for me to leave and let the household and people who come and go here get back to there normal self.

There is another thing that I just keep doing too, and it annoys everyone even Emma , I just have one pair of flip flops plus trainers , but if I am in the house I just wear flip flops , then I go out side and do some painting or just walk around and then I come back in the house wearing the same dusty dirty flip flops and just walk around down stairs and all I hear is you should take them off outside , funny they can talk English when they want too,I do make sure I take them off before I go upstairs to our place though , childless maybe , feel good factor fantastic 

At least now they know who the boss is. <sarc> Emma.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Dear Steve

I think you will find life in UK very boring once you arrive back in the UK !

Remember that programme " One foot in the Grave" :tiphat:

One Foot In The Grave - YouTube

Edited by Kuya John

stevewool
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Dear Steve

I think you will find life in UK very boring once you arrive back in the UK !

Remember that programme " One foot in the Grave" :tiphat:

One Foot In The Grave - YouTube

I Don’t Believe It :hystery: 

• Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Every day something new happens ever Emma is now thinking why have we bothered , the house looks fantastic from the front and side ,but around the back it seems to resemble back in the province they are building what looks  like another house from the work shed we had built for his tools , F’in amazing I shall get a picture later.

• Haha 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, JDDavao said:

I have flip flops for inside, flip flops for outside, flip flops for in the bedroom and have been told to remove my flip flops when going into the bathroom. As I finance this operation, the flip flops stay where they are.

Wow. Until now I though I was suffering with inside and outside slippers.

• Like 1