Barong

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Any ideas at the price for a Barong is, I am looking for a basic cheapest but without looking like a hessian sack on my back, it will be worn just the once , so could renting one be cheaper do you think plus is it custom to wear a white teeshirt under this shirt .

• Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

Yes you need to wear a white tee shirt as barongs are semi translucent and you will be showing off your man boobs. Probably start at about 3k up to 20k. SM is a good place to look.

Never been a fan of seeing foreigners wearing Barongs. If you know the history of the Barong you might understand why. Why people feel the need to waste money for special occasions is, in my opinion a waste of hard earned money. :smile:

• Like 5

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Yes you need to wear a white tee shirt as barongs are semi translucent

Good job it's not a thong then, hey Steve!

Barongs tend to be made in nylon, well the ones I've used are and you will sweat something awful in one.

So yes Gary's right, wear a cotton T-shirt under it :thumbsup:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Never been a fan of seeing foreigners wearing Barongs. If you know the history of the Barong you might understand why. Why people feel the need to waste money for special occasions is, in my opinion a waste of hard earned money. :smile:

Well it’s Ems favourite Aunt’s birthday plus she likes me too and I have never ever paid for her to say that, but then again she is loaded , no idea about the history of the shirt but it’s a request that all men attending should wear one .

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes you need to wear a white tee shirt as barongs are semi translucent and you will be showing off your man boobs. Probably start at about 3k up to 20k. SM is a good place to look.

680 peso from the upstairs in the wet market, ok it smells a little fishy and I am sure it will fall apart if I sneeze , but wearing it just the once it will do, white teeshirt 110 peso but will do for Mopping up anything dropped on the floor later.

I shall have to get Ems to take a picture of me wearing it later for you lot to have a laugh plus Arizona kid to have a moan about it.:thumbsup:

Edited by stevewool
Added
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Good job it's not a thong then, hey Steve!

Barongs tend to be made in nylon, well the ones I've used are and you will sweat something awful in one.

So yes Gary's right, wear a cotton T-shirt under it :thumbsup:

Decent Barongs are usually made from natural fabrics.  I think pineapple cloth is common.  My wedding barong was around 4k at SM and it is not really hot.

• Like 5

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Decent Barongs are usually made from natural fabrics.  I think pineapple cloth is common.  My wedding barong was around 4k at SM and it is not really hot.

Yes they start at nylon then silk followed by pina, pineapple fibre. 680p sounds like the work a day version. They come in all sorts of colours now, some look ok some not. Mine which I got married in is pina but I don't think I'd spend what they can cost now.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gary D said:

Yes they start at nylon then silk followed by pina, pineapple fibre. 680p sounds like the work a day version. They come in all sorts of colours now, some look ok some not. Mine which I got married in is pina but I don't think I'd spend what they can cost now.

Yes there was loads of colours some like from a 70s disco , well if it last a day I shall be happy.

strap
Posted
Posted

When we make our move later this year I'll leave my suit and tie (and all the fixings) back here in the states with my son. That way I won't have to haul it back and forth with me if/when I have to come back for a funeral, etc. When we get to the Philippines, I'll just buy a barong.

I'll avoid dress-up occasions as best I can, but I'm sure I'll eventually get tagged for one. When that happens, I'd much rather face it in a barong than an amerikana suit and tie. They look a hell of a lot more cooler and comfortable.