Knock on effect of the virus

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

I not saying this is divine retribution, but it's starting to look a little like divine retribution.

My gf has been saying that its divine retribution since the start of all this 

Some of the people I talk to have made comments along the lines of ,its overdue, the world has too many people and needs to be thinned down a bit 

The young and the strong do not appear to be too concerned as they point out that it's the older people and those who have health problems that are succumbing to this illness

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, stevewool said:

Well would you believe it, we have been back in England now a few days and all is well.

My daughter works for a large company and today she came home early and said ‘ you won’t believe whats happened today’ , I said someone has contracted the corona virus , no better then that she says.

Apparently there is a corporate message going around the works starting that if any members have been in contact from people who have been on holiday to the Areas that may have this virus must go home for 2 weeks , so she said that I have been to the Philippines and past through Hong Kong so she has been set home on full pay for 2 weeks .

My house mate is due to fly back from luzon via Hong Kong at the end of the month , I wonder if the NHS ( my employers) will instruct me to self isolate , I think that they should 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

My house mate is due to fly back from luzon via Hong Kong at the end of the month , I wonder if the NHS ( my employers) will instruct me to self isolate , I think that they should 

You might consider doing that anyway? Load up on supplies and then hunker down. Buy a lot of tea and biscuits too!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

To me, what's so creepy about this virus is that nobody seems to have a handle on it.

Nobody is sure about transmission methods.

Nobody is certain how long the incubation period lasts.

Nobody knows why some people remain unsymptomatic and some get it worse than others.

And it can come back and bite you in the ass more than once?

Nobody knows if it is mutating.

Nobody yet has come up with a sure-fire preventative vaccine.

And worst of all, nobody knows how to kill it!

• Like 2

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

And yet, and yet.... 

What I can discern here is there is a huge panic yes, and all those things Tommy is worried about are something to consider.....but where are all the deaths?  If 80K people died in the US during the 2017/2018 flu season, then how does Corona stack up to that?  Maybe its too early days.  But in my mind, the mass panic itself is starting to look fishy.  

Here is a great quote from a reader responding to a post on Breitbart:

I'm 74. In my lifetime I have been told more times than I can count how the world was going to end. Bad polio vaccines. Nuclear holocaust. Race wars. June bugs. Tanzania laughter (look that one up). Running out of oil. Global cooling. AI. Global warming. New world order. Daycare sex abuse. Collapse of the dollar. WW3. Y2K. SARS. Mayan calendars. Asteroid impacts. Ebola. Infrared grills. Satellites falling on my house. And a whole host of other crap.

Given my age and circumstances (I live in the USVI), I'm more likely to die from drowning or a clogged artery.

In those 74 years, I've noticed one thing: none of them happened, either because they were total BS or level heads prevailed.

Should people take precautions? Absolutely. But the people pushing this panic aren't doing so for altruistic reasons. 
1. They want to get Turmp out of office.
2. They want to tighten the surveillance state.
3. Drive down the stock market to buy up the equities cheap.
4. Television ratings.

All of those are occurring as we speak. I've seen this re-run before.

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

To me, what's so creepy about this virus is that nobody seems to have a handle on it.

Nobody is sure about transmission methods.

Nobody is certain how long the incubation period lasts.

Nobody knows why some people remain unsymptomatic and some get it worse than others.

And it can come back and bite you in the ass more than once?

Nobody knows if it is mutating.

Nobody yet has come up with a sure-fire preventative vaccine.

And worst of all, nobody knows how to kill it!

It's not just the virus that worries me , I'm more concerned about the knock on effects and the possibility of a global economic meltdown,  I'm not worried about myself , I've got an ultra secure job , all be it high risk in the face of this impending virus 

I'm worried about my kids , I hope that they do not have to experience a recession like the one I experienced in the 90,s , I almost lost the shirt off my back , hehe the inland revenue screwed up and sent me a 8000.00 GB pounds tax rebate by mistake , I used it to pay off my mortgage arrears, that's the bit of luck I had to survive that recession 

I worry about my two eldest kids ,both have mortgages in the region of 350k 

We do have an escape plan in place for my granddaughter, if this virus hits London,  shes off to stay with her grandmother in rural Norfolk 

I'm also going to do a larger than normal shop today,  load up with  tinned foodstuffs and dry foods 

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Google typhoid Mary,  that will cheer you up ( not )

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Marvin Boggs said:

What I can discern here is there is a huge panic yes, and all those things Tommy is worried about are something to consider.....but where are all the deaths?  If 80K people died in the US during the 2017/2018 flu season, then how does Corona stack up to that?  Maybe its too early days.  But in my mind, the mass panic itself is starting to look fishy.  

I guess I did not make my thoughts totally clear. I am NOT panicked, but I AM concerned. So I am, like Bastonjock, taking precautions. I do the same thing when flu season picks up and people start getting sick around here. It costs me nothing to prepare a bit but pays me a lot in letting me relax that I have a plan. I got my flu shot a while back and also a pneumonia shot. Cheap insurance that maybe will help, maybe not. Since I will only live once on this earth, I would prefer to manage that and lengthen my remaining days.

Checking a few moments ago, the statistics were 84,400 diagnosed, 2,919 deaths = ~3.5% death rate. Not super high...that we know about. As I said before, this virus is different from so many we have seen before and that's what bothers me most really.

I agree that there is some fearmongering going on too - sells papers and internet space. Also, like I have mentioned on a previous post - Try reading Michael Crighton's book "State of Fear." That describes in lurid detail about manipulations by press, business and state...

Edited by Tommy T.
updated to latest numbers
  • Like 2

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Me too Tommy.  I was the one urging you guys to stock up on Chinese made supplies a few weeks ago, haha.  At least here in PH we can obtain most of what we need locally. 

Those with prescription meds and so on, better order more....

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Another knock on effect, my daughters boyfriend stays over a few nights per week as he lives up  In Wetherby Yorkshire  a good few hours driving away and his works up there too, anyway as he is here and we have come from Asia, his mum has told him he can’t come back home for 2 weeks as his sister has just had a baby and she is afraid of him catching something from us and giving to them tup north , poor bugger doesn’t know what to do, he can’t drive to work and back here everyday , or can he .

• Sad 2