Knock on effect of the virus

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, GeoffH said:

There has been articles that the persistence of this particular corona virus outside the body upon surfaces and objects is longer than initially expected.  Instead of hours or a couple of days at most some experts are suggesting it could be as long as a week or two (something to do with the virus coat?  I guess it's more protected).

If a carrier infected objects then those objects could later after a delay infect another person perhaps?

Geoff, do you have a link or something to do with the persistence of the virus? We understood soap would destroy the virus membrane and kill it. We have stocked up on some Clorox & Lysol wipes.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Geoff, do you have a link or something to do with the persistence of the virus? We understood soap would destroy the virus membrane and kill it. We have stocked up on some Clorox & Lysol wipes.

I would suggest reading the Medical News Today article first (that may be enough by itself for many people).

This is the link to the Medical News Today article that I was talking about which attempts to sumarize an article in The Journal of Hospital Infection.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/coronaviruses-how-long-can-they-survive-on-surfaces#How-long-do-coronaviruses-persist?

This is a link to The Journal of Hospital Infection article itself.

https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext

Edited by GeoffH
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Guy F. said:

Sorry but I thought World War Z kinda sucked. A much more well done and scary movie is Contagion.

The only similarity between book and movie was the title.  The movie did suck, but the book by Max Brooks was GREAT. :thumbsup:   Read it twice and will probably read it again.  This is not your typical apocalyptic type novel, trust me.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Here you go... for any doubters here... I just found this online a while ago on MSNNBC:

Also on Sunday, Washington state reported its second death in King County, which is also the second death in the United States.

Subscribe to the Post Most newsletter: Today’s most popular stories on The Washington Post

The coronavirus has probably been spreading undetected for about six weeks in Washington state, where the first U.S. death was reported this weekend, according to new research. A genetic analysis suggests that the cases are linked through community transmission and that the virus is likely to have been spreading undetected for weeks, with hundreds of infections possible in the state. 

Officials in the Seattle area are monitoring a possible outbreak at a long-term nursing home. The elderly are considered especially vulnerable to infection. One patient is a health-care worker in her 40s who was in satisfactory condition, according to state health officials. The other, a resident in her 70s, is in serious condition.

The global death toll has surpassed 3,000 on four continents. The first U.S. death, in Washington state, was a man in his 50s with underlying health conditions, officials said. The patient had no recent travel history or contact with people known to be infected, officials said.

Here are the latest developments:

Four new cases were confirmed in Washington state in King County on Sunday, including a second death, bringing that state’s total number of cases to 13. Rhode Island also announced its first probable case.

The White House has scrambled to gain control of a rudderless response defined by bureaucratic infighting, confusion and misinformation. “It’s complete chaos,” one senior administration official said.

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said Sunday that the administration is watching for possible drug shortages as a result of disruptions to the pharmaceutical supply chain in China.

New cases have been announced in the Middle East as governments there try to control the spread.

The Food and Drug Administration expanded coronavirus testing by allowing some hospitals laboratories to use their own tests, though some worry those changes fall short. The number of confirmed cases is likely to increase given the expansion in testing.

11:35 PM: Florida announces first two likely coronavirus cases as Rhode Island reports its second

Likely cases of the novel coronavirus spread further across the East Coast on Sunday night, as health officials in Florida announced two probable cases of covid-19 and Rhode Island reported a second presumed patient — up from just one earlier in the afternoon.

On Florida’s Gulf Coast, two likely cases of covid-19 prompted the office of Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) to issue a public health emergency. Both adults are in isolation, the Florida Department of Health said in a statement.

One of the patients resides in Hillsborough County, which includes Tampa, and has a history of travel to Italy, which has recorded more than 1,500 infections.

The other person, in neighboring Manatee County, appears to have contracted the virus through community spread. Florida health officials said this patient had not been to any countries where travel has been restricted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, including China, Iran, South Korea and Italy.

In Rhode Island, officials reported a case of a teenager who tested positive for covid-19. An adult in her 30s has also been tested, and both people are at home experiencing mild symptoms, the state’s Department of Health said.

Both individuals had traveled to Europe in mid-February alongside Rhode Island’s first likely case of coronavirus, a man in his 40s who had been chaperoning a Catholic preparatory school’s trip to Italy, France and Spain. The school, Saint Raphael Academy in Pawtucket, will be closed this week.

The adult in her 30s whose tests are still pending works at Achievement First Academy, which has Providence and Cranston campuses, both of which will be closed for three days this week. Nearly 40 people went on the trip to Europe, and all will be under quarantine for two weeks with public health supervision, officials said.

Any presumptive positive cases must be confirmed by the CDC, Rhode Island health officials said earlier Sunday

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

So... as I said before, I am not panicked. but I am concerned...

Today I went shopping and picked up enough canned and dried and fresh food to last for several weeks.

From what all I have read, this virus has likely spread everywhere already since the incubation period seems to be longer than anyone ever imagined. So I am ready to hole up and not be one of the 3+% of old farts that can catch this and die... Or maybe it bites me in the ass anyway? At least I have taken precautions, and so has L...

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jack D said:

Yeah, World Ward Z sucked!

Except for the part where the zombies climb on each other, making a natural ladder to get over the big walls!  :hystery:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

So I am ready to hole up

37 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

The coronavirus has probably been spreading undetected for about six weeks in Washington state,

This is what I fear:  You may be ready to hole up, Tom, but by the time you go in the hole there is a good chance you already have it.  This virus has a long incubation period.  In that period you will not know it is being spread and will not be holed up.

However it is still a wise idea.  That is what my little family are doing right now, in Canada.  We are holed up, no contact, for at least 10 days to see if any of us show any signs.  Yes, I know there are some experts out there saying it could be almost 4 weeks before you can say you are in the clear but life is best to be lived.  We do the best we can to salve our own consciences.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

At least I have taken precautions, and so has L...

I agree with you and the precautions you've taken and I've done something similar.

Yes it might not help but it also might help and it certainly won't hurt, in my opinion we can only do what we can do and play the odds.  If there are things we can do which will tilt the odds somewhat in our favor then why not do them.  It's not like anything I've seen suggested is going to be harmful or particularly expensive.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I saw a report today on the news of empty supermarket shelves in Australia, cleared out of tissue , and other stuff ,but not food ,yet 

The number of infected people is up to 36 in the UK 

I think that it's either luck or lies ,with regard to the numbers in tourist hotspots such as Thailand or the Philippines 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

I saw a report today on the news of empty supermarket shelves in Australia, cleared out of tissue , and other stuff ,but not food ,yet 

The number of infected people is up to 36 in the UK 

I think that it's either luck or lies ,with regard to the numbers in tourist hotspots such as Thailand or the Philippines 

Quite likely it's inaccurate but not necessarily lies - just lack of sophistication in testing etc.  

Also, with the numbers being relatively small in many cases, there perhaps isn't any reason to assume anything - a couple of people can easily infect a significant number of people and inflate the numbers in one place.  

• Like 2