Knock on effect of the virus

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

And down 969 today. Wheeeee!

In previous years I have noted that when the US stock markets start to swing a lot day to day from big highs to big lows, it usually ends up with a number of big lows and drops to correction territory and below and then stays there a while. So I am expecting it to drop a few more times - maybe another few thousand points - and then settle there. Perhaps I am wrong - I hope, really, that I am wrong...

Meanwhile, just this morning, I came across a news article that medical researchers have determined that the virus has already mutated into AT LEAST two strains:

Scientists believe there are at least two different strains of the COVID-19 virus causing illnesses.

A preliminary study conducted at Peking University’s School of Life Sciences and the Institute Pasteur of Shanghai discovered that one strain of coronavirus, type L, accounted for about 70% of the cases in China and is much more aggressive than the other strain, type S, which is milder and is the source of about 30% of the infections.

The coronavirus outbreak began in Wuhan, China, and has since spread to dozens of countries, infecting almost 97,000 and killing at least 3,305. Researchers said type L was more common in the “early stages of the outbreak in Wuhan” but began to decrease “after early January 2020.”

“Human intervention may have placed more severe selective pressure on the L type, which might be more aggressive and spread more quickly. On the other hand, the S type, which is evolutionarily older and less aggressive, might have increased in relative frequency due to relatively weaker selective pressure,” the scientists wrote.

The researchers said the S type is thought to be the ancestral strain and that the findings “strongly support an urgent need for further immediate, comprehensive studies that combine genomic data, epidemiological data, and chart records of the clinical symptoms of patients with coronavirus disease 2019.”

The genomes studied were only sourced from China, so it is unclear what strains are most common in other countries or if there have been further mutations.

Cases of the illness in the United States have shot up in recent days. As of Thursday afternoon, there were 162 confirmed cases and 11 deaths.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/coronavirus-has-mutated-at-least-once-into-two-strains-study-finds/ar-BB10NALk?li=BBnb7Kz

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mike J said:

One of our taxi drivers said he will not stop for people who look like they are Chinese.

:wink:

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
On 3/5/2020 at 10:24 PM, Mike J said:

One of our taxi drivers said he will not stop for people who look like they are Chinese.

:crack-up: What about South Korean's?

Some stores in UK struggling to keep up demand for Toilet rolls and Tissues also over the counter pain relief such as Paracetmol, as fear of shortages starts to grip some of the Nation!

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

Some stores in UK struggling to keep up demand for Toilet rolls and Tissues also over the counter pain relief such as Paracetmol, as fear of shortages starts to grip some of the Nation!

Our son in the UK has a cold and was trying to buy Paracetamol earlier in the week but the supermarket shelves had been stripped bare.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Kuya John said:

And Italians and Kanos and Brits and...and....and... now Filipinos?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

And Italians and Kanos and Brits and...and....and... now Filipinos?

:crack-up:   When I mentioned the South Koreans.............. Never knew they all look Chinese! either that or the Taxi driver should of gone to Spec-savers. :tiphat:

Edited by Kuya John

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Latest news.

0C55DE57-46A3-4379-8E74-9411F92D68BD.jpeg

• Haha 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Latest news

The humour is appreciated but I am more worried about the Pope.  That old codger would be seriously affected if he came down with it.  And think of all the world leaders he may have passed it to.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronavirus-vatican-city-first-covid-19-case-health-clinic-12509840

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The humour is appreciated but I am more worried about the Pope.  That old codger would be seriously affected if he came down with it.  And think of all the world leaders he may have passed it to.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronavirus-vatican-city-first-covid-19-case-health-clinic-12509840

Yes it could knock quite a few old dictators of their perches.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It looks like an 86 yr old American in Ortegas has been confirmed with the virus.  No further information but it would be interesting to find out if he had a carer that passed it on to him.