Knock on effect of the virus

stevewool
Posted
Posted

First casualty involving the corona virus concerning my family, my daughters boyfriend has been laid of for 3 months from his work , the only good thing about it he will be on 90% of his weekly wage for this time then it will be reviewed after that time, he will be on call and given so many days notice if they will need him back , but he cannot look for any other work in this time too, so it looks like we will have a lodger for a few months now what can I get him doing I wonder.

He is quite a fit lad , he plays rugby so I may get him training me and Ems ( not for rugby ) and only in the garden too.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

First casualty involving the corona virus

Interesting that you put it that way.  So far, from all the people I know online and around the world, not a single one of them have mentioned being in hospital or having someone they know in hospital as a result of this virus.  Of course most of us have a cough or runny nose from time to time but that's business as usual and probably the normal cough due to cold.  Even if it was Covid, if it cause no effect in us and no knock on effect to anyone we know then its a non issue.

So I tend to err on the side of overcautious and staying home and social distance etc, but who are all these people getting sick and dying?  Anyone know any or them?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

he will be on 90% of his weekly wage for this time

That's a casualty? 90%? That sounds like a vacation to me.

Let me drag my soap box out of the closet for a bit.

In 1917 my Grand Dad was asked to spend a couple of years visiting France.

Between 1942 and 1946 3 of my uncles were asked to roam around the south pacific and one ended up in Tokyo harbor in 1945. One never returned home.  

In 1950 my dad spent a couple of years in Korea.

In the 60s I had cousins visit Vietnam for a year each.

I was asked to spend a year in Iraq in 1991 and 2004.

FFS! All that is being asked in 2020 is to sit at home, watch Netflix, play computer games, fiddle with their girlfriends and drink beer.

Some casualty :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

post scrip. Yes I know that Britain suffered even more between 1914/18 and 1939 through the 1950's.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So I tend to err on the side of overcautious and staying home and social distance etc, but who are all these people getting sick and dying?  Anyone know any or them?

Likewise Dave,

I am erring on the side of caution and staying home as much as possible, in answer to your question about the sick and dying.

Announced today was the death of the youngest person so far in UK an 18 year old!

Most if not all who have died in UK had underlying health issues, not known to me personally,  but may they all rest in peace.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, scott h said:

T

Some casualty :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

post scrip. Yes I know that Britain suffered even more between 1914/18 and 1939 through the 1950's.

If I may say so Scott

Steves choice of the word "casualty" was maybe misleading and I'm sure not intended to offend.

I thank God I have not lived through the experience of War. Respectfully  JB:tiphat:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Steves choice of the word "casualty" was maybe misleading and I'm sure not intended to offend.

No worries Kuya, I was not offended at all, just trying to put this "crisis" into a bit of historical perspective to what our fore fathers faced and overcame  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Our son is working from home now and is most concerned that his PS4 won't be delivered. His girlfriend lives in London, about 60 miles away and last night Phils time he messaged ask if she could move in for a time but later yesterday the government put in a total lockdown with no movement unless dire emergency. So no PS4 or girlfriend to fiddle with.

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

In 1917 my Grand Dad was asked to spend a couple of years visiting France.

And to put this in perspective, more of those men asked to go died from the Spanish Flu than from bullets.

But the band played on and there were parades in Philidelphia because they did not see that result as serious.  Shortly after the parade, more than 12,000 people died in six weeks, with about 47,000 reported cases of Spanish Flu, in that city.

And kids today (including one of my own grown kids) won't learn from history and are looking at this as one big party.

• Love it 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So far, from all the people I know online and around the world, not a single one of them have mentioned being in hospital or having someone they know in hospital as a result of this virus.

Turns out we all do know someone.  Member @davewe was posting on Facebook about his cousin's Covid 19 occurrence.  While I was expecting to hear about one of us "oldies" having the problem, it turns out Dave's cousin is only in his 30's.  Here is a link to Dave's cousin's story.  It is worth reading

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/letter-to-the-editor-brad-weisbord/?fbclid=IwAR2NtaSQRBJfKU-nllGfg5AHgwGHDYN3A5KEyV50-GqnekeM4jzdr3DlX6w#.XnjrzGbY2z4.twitter

RBM
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

And yet, returning to Canada has opened my eyes to the many repats who retired early and tried Philippines, Mexico, Costa Rica etc and came back to Canada at age 65 ish because those countries just do not compare to where we are now.

So perhaps some have explored the Philippines option and it has been weighed, it has been measured, and it has been found wanting.

Yes the no shoe fits comes to mind....each to his own

• Like 1