Knock on effect of the virus

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

Our son is working from home now and is most concerned that his PS4 won't be delivered. His girlfriend lives in London, about 60 miles away and last night Phils time he messaged ask if she could move in for a time but later yesterday the government put in a total lockdown with no movement unless dire emergency. So no PS4 or girlfriend to fiddle with.

No Grandchildren for Christmas.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gary D said:

Our son is working from home now and is most concerned that his PS4 won't be delivered.

My daughter has been distancing herself (not visiting older relatives like me) which is good but today she rang and asked if she could come and get her PS4 from here. 

I told her yes but that I would wear a mask and keep a couple of meters away.

I think the PS4 servers are going to fall over under the increased load :hystery:

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Viking said:

Is not balikbayans with spouses still allowed to enter, or did I miss something? :89:

They are...at the moment.  My only point was that in the light of this pandemic, the government here MAY start looking again at visas.  Numerous members here on a Tourist Visa have noted a harder line when entering - and that was before any pandemic.  

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Interesting that you put it that way.  So far, from all the people I know online and around the world, not a single one of them have mentioned being in hospital or having someone they know in hospital as a result of this virus.  Of course most of us have a cough or runny nose from time to time but that's business as usual and probably the normal cough due to cold.  Even if it was Covid, if it cause no effect in us and no knock on effect to anyone we know then its a non issue.

So I tend to err on the side of overcautious and staying home and social distance etc, but who are all these people getting sick and dying?  Anyone know any or them?

If we believe in the 6 degrees of separation theory, we all know all of them! 

Seriously though, I'm not sure what you're asking - given the relatively small numbers on a global scale, the probability of knowing anyone directly affected is very small.  

Viking
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

And yet, returning to Canada has opened my eyes to the many repats who retired early and tried Philippines, Mexico, Costa Rica etc and came back to Canada at age 65 ish because those countries just do not compare to where we are now.

So perhaps some have explored the Philippines option and it has been weighed, it has been measured, and it has been found wanting.

This is why I wanna go to PH before I get too old. I think most of us actually will have a better life in our home countries when we need care, support and medical assistance. Our plan is to stay as long as we enjoy and when the time comes for the things I mentioned above, we will go back. Initially we planned to go aug/sep this year, but we will probably need to prospone that date. Luckily we did not sell our apartment yet. 

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, scott h said:

That's a casualty? 90%? That sounds like a vacation to me.

Let me drag my soap box out of the closet for a bit.

In 1917 my Grand Dad was asked to spend a couple of years visiting France.

Between 1942 and 1946 3 of my uncles were asked to roam around the south pacific and one ended up in Tokyo harbor in 1945. One never returned home.  

In 1950 my dad spent a couple of years in Korea.

In the 60s I had cousins visit Vietnam for a year each.

I was asked to spend a year in Iraq in 1991 and 2004.

FFS! All that is being asked in 2020 is to sit at home, watch Netflix, play computer games, fiddle with their girlfriends and drink beer.

Some casualty :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

post scrip. Yes I know that Britain suffered even more between 1914/18 and 1939 through the 1950's.

Thank you for telling us part of your family history.

I have never been to Iraq.

My brothers was in the armed forces and was stationed.

My father was in the forces over in Germany .

My Mums father was killed in France .

My grandad was in France 

And before that I am sure we had Butchers, Game keepers, Ships Captain and lots of labourers in our family tree.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

If we try to put this Pandemic into perspective,

Let's say that many of us, myself included, who have not experienced "Troubles" on a Global scale before, such as this moment in time.

People who have not experienced warfare first hand, will no doubt be concerned at the amount of deaths from an unseen enemy .

I was born just after the Second World War and my only recollection as a young child was food shortages.

Everyone was in the same circumstances and shared what they had with their neighbours.

You could leave your doors unlocked and knew your home would be safe.

Let's hope that these tragic events unfolding will bring out the best in people, one world, one people.

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'd give it a few more weeks then re-assess if the Philippines has the health care needed for a lot of seniors.  My friend who is a nurse in Oriental Mindoro recieved two emails explaining that Makati Medical and 3 of the St Lukes hospitals will no longer be accepting any more cases of coronavirus due to the current workload, lack of PPE and medical staff now quarantined.  Another friend from Cebu whose parents are elderly retired doctors have just been summoned to help out in a provisional hospital due to shortages and this is only the beginning of proper tests being carried out. I can seriosly see things getting messy and that is why the President has been given his special powers so easily.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here we have on the streets of Alenton this morning , I did not take the picture so I cannot say if they was there to enforce the gathering of no more then 2 people or they was parked outside Greggs ordering sausage rolls, but hang about they don’t look like there is 2 meters between them.

BE3E25C1-DB55-4681-A0F6-49B962131815.jpeg

Edited by stevewool
Added more

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, stevewool said:

but hang about they don’t look like there is 2 meters between them.

Didn't your father ever tell you:   Don't do as I do, do as I say!

Well now your government is saying that :9436: