Knock on effect of the virus

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Mike J said:

I, for one, do not think Dave is trying to spread fear.  He finds the numbers odd and pointed out a logical explanation. 

Thank you.  It seems we all have our minds made up as to how severe and how logical the virus and the numbers are.  I find them alarming.  Others find reasons why they are not alarming.

I do know that it is mathematically incorrect to only consider resolved cases when calculating death rates due to the virus.  However, I see that the death rate of resolved cases was 7% when I first noticed and posted about it. It has climbed daily to 15% as I write this.  Those numbers are not good no matter what explanation one puts on it.  The death numbers are climbing exponentially compared to the recovered numbers.  I don't like it.  I speak up.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I do know that it is mathematically incorrect to only consider resolved cases when calculating death rates due to the virus.  However, I see that the death rate of resolved cases was 7% when I first noticed and posted about it. It has climbed daily to 15% as I write this.  Those numbers are not good no matter what explanation one puts on it.  The death numbers are climbing exponentially compared to the recovered numbers.  I don't like it.  I speak up.

I see nothing wrong with your numbers, Dave. I, too, believe this virus is scary. That is why we are holed up now - although enforced lockdown is also in effect here in Davao, starting today. I prefer to just settle in, eat a lot and drink some Tanduay and wait it out. I would prefer to do this and get it done and over with rather than see it drag on and on because of lax procedures or regs... 

So, to me, regardless of the death rate or other considerations, we will just relax and wait... nothing else to do... Such is my limited wisdom....

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 3/24/2020 at 3:57 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

but who are all these people getting sick and dying?

My niece in Colorado just reported that she is recovered from the virus.  She was not tested but her doctor said he was fairly certain she had it.  Apparently she did not meet the requirement to get tested.  She can be a bit flaky so I take this all with a grain of salt.

What worries me is that she lives with my 71 year old sister who has Parkinson's and some other health problems.  My niece says she isolated herself but surely there must have been exposure as they live in the same house.  However, my niece lives in the basement and my sister upstairs, so they can stay separate.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

What worries me is that she lives with my 71 year old sister who has Parkinson's and some other health problems.  My niece says she isolated herself but surely there must have been exposure as they live in the same house.  However, my niece lives in the basement and my sister upstairs, so they can stay separate.

Exactly... Living in the same house? That is not easy to isolate. I am glad that your niece is recovered. But how can she be sure that she had this virus and how can she be sure she is clear of it, without testing? Please let us know how this proceeds, OMW? And let's all hope that your sister will not be affected or infected by this insidious virus...

• Like 4

Mick
Posted
Posted

Well we have 3 confirmed cases on our sub division, 2 dead and one recovering in hospital, the dead are 80 and 46 years old, not sure the age of the recovering one, also an ambulance was called to house near me, old guy there who has problems with breathing all the time, they spent 30 Mins in the house then left, saying he did not have the right symptoms for the virus, we are staying put, which we have done for the last 10 days, just the maid goes out for essentials every few days or so, so that should be our only avenue to bringing it home, but what can you do, essentials are essentials, as you can't bulk buy in our hypermart, so one trip every 2 weeks like before is not possible,. But fridge is full of beer, chest freezer full of meat, spirits on stand by..... So all is not lost.... 🍺

• Like 4

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

CORONOVIRUS RAPSODY

hi guys i wish i could cut and paste the link from FB ,but i cant ,to techy for me 

Theres a song doing the rounds on fb  it is a scream, perhaps searching on fb you can find it

The lyrics are very very funny and bring a smile into this worrying time

Its called coronovirus RAPSODY 

Jack D
Posted
Posted

Coronavirus shutdowns have unintended climate benefits: cleaner air, clearer water

"I think there are some big-picture lessons here that could be very useful," one scientist said.

But experts warned that observed reductions are temporary and that as cities, countries and economies bounce back, so, too, will emissions — unless major infrastructure or societal changes are adopted.

Klopp said the pandemic could make companies and governments realize that other threats to humanity, including climate change, could be just as devastating and that it's imperative to develop protective measures.

"As we move to restart these economies, we need to use this moment to think about what we value," she said. "Do we want to go back to the status quo, or do we want to tackle these big structural problems and restructure our economy and reduce emissions and pollution?"

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/coronavirus-shutdowns-have-unintended-climate-benefits-n1161921

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I see the air around Davao City to be much cleaner than before. From our third floor apartment, the view is better than ever.

Plus, the usual black dust that accumulates on surfaces is not building up as quickly as usual.

So, now, wouldn't it be really cool if some of the powers that be (particularly some politicians) would take notice and suddenly get gee whiz moments, "Wow... The world's air is cleaner! Maybe we can figure out how to help reverse some of the scourge we humans have delivered upon our tiny planet!"

Naaahhhh. Just wishful thinking on my part... That would be assuming intelligence from them... Oh well... Time for another shot of Tanduay...

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Just been flashed on bbc

Boris Johnson our prime minister has the virus