And to quote corporal Fraser 

Were doomed were all doomed :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

If 11 % perish then that's roughly estimated at 265million people 

The 11% figure is based on "older males with comorbidities" (that's pretty much us lot, ex-smokers who are older and have high BP or asthma or COPD or emphasema or Diabetes) but younger and healthier people will have a lower mortality rate (much lower).

There is a lot of debate around what that rate will end up being and I don't think it's entirely clear yet but if you're an older ex-smoker who gets a bit short of breath sometimes then you really don't want to catch this one I reckon.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I'm not too afraid. They say that the virus can be killed by heat and alcohol. I'm going to the beach!

Screenshot (18).png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

The 11% figure is based on "older males with comorbidities" (that's pretty much us lot, ex-smokers who are older and have high BP or asthma or COPD or emphasema or Diabetes) but younger and healthier people will have a lower mortality rate (much lower).

There is a lot of debate around what that rate will end up being and I don't think it's entirely clear yet but if you're an older ex-smoker who gets a bit short of breath sometimes then you really don't want to catch this one I reckon.

Unfortunately I still smoke, so I guess I'm stuffed if I get this virus and I'm no longer a teenager 

It's a bummer really , I cant do the alcohol bashing on the beach either, been teetotal for 25 years 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mike J said:

Of the 99 patients with 2019-nCoV pneumonia, 49 (49%) had a history of exposure to the Huanan seafood market.

So it is credible that the virus is not as easily spread from human to human as people are saying in this thread.  Lets see what WHO has to say:

The World Health Organization said in a weekend report that "the main driver of transmission ... is symptomatic cases." The organization said it's "aware of possible transmission" from asymptomatic individuals in a few instances but said that this may be rare and not a major player in the spread of the virus.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/05/health/wuhan-coronavirus-flawed-report/index.html

That is the source of the quote and further reading states that "The disease has spread internationally, infecting 170 people in more than 20 countries."

Thus it is a serious issue but a large percentage of the information being spread is flawed.  I suggest we take it serious but lets not go nuts.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm working on the principle that you get the odd country that will have a knee jerk reaction but I'm sure most countries have experts whose neck is on the line if they recommend something that can screw a countries economy.  There's a few semi sensible countries with a lot at stake refusing entry to the Chinese so I think I'll sit it out before travelling out of the Philippines. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Venture Forth
Posted
Posted

Sooo, I represent  many people from a non-profit new to the Philippines - we are staying in Liloan - what hospitals would anyone recommend (well equipped, competent) for the corona virus? Which ones to stay away from? Thanks!

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Venture Forth said:

Sooo, I represent  many people from a non-profit new to the Philippines - we are staying in Liloan - what hospitals would anyone recommend (well equipped, competent) for the corona virus? Which ones to stay away from? Thanks!

I am not very familiar with Liloan, but a quick search on google doesn't show any large hospitals close.  In Cebu City there are several well equipped hospitals to include: Chong Hua Hospital, Cebu Doctors Hospital,  Perpetual Succour, and several others.  Most folks seem to agree that Chong Hua is the most modern and best equipped of the hospitals in Cebu City.  It is, however, probably the most expensive but their fees are still considerably lower than what you would find in the USA.  Keep in mind that you almost always have to have money in hand or a credit card to get treatment here in the Philippines.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

They say of the local government hospitals that you just go there to die.

• Like 1

Venture Forth
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I am not very familiar with Liloan, but a quick search on google doesn't show any large hospitals close.  In Cebu City there are several well equipped hospitals to include: Chong Hua Hospital, Cebu Doctors Hospital,  Perpetual Succour, and several others.  Most folks seem to agree that Chong Hua is the most modern and best equipped of the hospitals in Cebu City.  It is, however, probably the most expensive but their fees are still considerably lower than what you would find in the USA.  Keep in mind that you almost always have to have money in hand or a credit card to get treatment here in the Philippines.

Thank you!