Knock on effect of the virus

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Guy F. said:

I wonder how good a silk scarf wrapped around ones's face would be as a substitute for a surgical mask.

I don't normally pay attention to Indian gurus, but this dude makes a lot of sense with his take on the coronavirus:

(Facebook link removed)

Depends on how tight the weave is.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

As a happenstance, I was looking into the idea of making masks when I had an office in China three years ago.  Wish I still had all the samples we had ordered!  What I learned was that NIOSH n95 rating is really only nominally OK.  We were going to skip n95 completely and go to n99.  The logic being, if any serious outbreak were to occur, that n95 may not be up to the job.  

With that in mind, when we started noticing the mask shortages a few weeks ago, I went online shopping for n99.  They were already almost out of stock everywhere.  I moved the search to replaceable filter elements, which are designed for re-usable masks, and was able to secure a 24-pack of those at a very inflated price.  Plus two washable outer masks like the bicyclists wear, which were also difficult to find.  The online vendors could not deliver to the Philippines (address doesn't seem to work in online configurators), so I had it shipped to my brother who forwarded it here DHL.  We just got the box yesterday.  So it took me 3 weeks time from realizing I needed them, to having them in my hand.  

Global supply chains are something to take seriously, friends. 

Separately, I have a manufacturing partner in Taiwan.  A couple of weeks ago he and I were mulling this idea of going into mask production, assuming that more and more epidemics may be coming in the future.  So I asked about the mask suppliers there.  They had already been taken over by the government, and all stocks seized just two days before!  The next logical step is to start looking at US suppliers like 3m, and whether they have moved any production facilities back to the US.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Guy F. said:

I wonder how good a silk scarf wrapped around ones's face would be as a substitute for a surgical mask.

I don't normally pay attention to Indian gurus, but this dude makes a lot of sense with his take on the coronavirus:

Moderators note:  Members can search Facebook for sadhguru videos, specificly number 1565716210246174, but we do not direct link to Facebook on this site.

I dont know how effective a silk mask would be to the virus  , but I do know that one if the secret weapons of the hords of Genghis Khan was to wear a silk shirt under their armour , when and arrow would strike and either pierce the armour or find a week spot , the silk shirt would wrap around the barbed head reducing the damage and making it a lot easier to extract the arrow 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/philippines-ill-prepared-grapples-coronavirus-threat-200218004321154.html

This reporter has no faith in the Philippine ability to control this virus.  Lets hope he is wrong

Spoiler

News 
AJ Impact
AJ Go
Documentaries 
Shows 
Investigations
Opinion
More 
Live

NEWS/HEALTH
Philippines 'ill-prepared' as it grapples with coronavirus threat
Overworked healthcare staff fear exposure to virus as government faces criticism over $197m cuts in budget for health.

by Ana P Santos 
18 Feb 2020
Staff at a hospital in Manila prepare the equipment of an isolation tent installed for patients who will manifest symptoms that could be investigated for coronavirus [Rolex dela Pena/EPA]
Staff at a hospital in Manila prepare the equipment of an isolation tent installed for patients who will manifest symptoms that could be investigated for coronavirus [Rolex dela Pena/EPA] 
MORE ON CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK
Sea of Red: US stocks hammered on coronovirus fears
today
President administration weighs emergency funds to combat coronavirus
today
China coronavirus outbreak: All the latest updates
today
Coronavirus: Which countries have confirmed cases?
today
Manila, Philippines - The coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, has now killed more than 1,800 people and infected more than 72,000 others since it was first detected in China's city of Wuhan in December.

In the Philippines, where the first death outside of China was reported, the government has faced intense criticism over its handling of the outbreak, and its decision to allow direct flights from China despite the lockdown in Hubei province, the epicentre of the epidemic.

More:
Prayers, fury after Philippines reports first coronavirus death
Face masks 'hot item' at London Fashion Week amid virus fears
Coronavirus: All you need to know about symptoms and risks
A jittery public erupted in anger after it was revealed that the 44-year-old Wuhan resident, who later died, and a female companion, visited three cities in the Philippines before they were both tested positive of the virus in the capital, Manila.

In a Senate hearing following the first confirmed death linked to the virus, legislators questioned Health Secretary Francisco Duque III over the government's system of identifying and tracking down people, who may have come in contact with the infected couple - a process known as contact tracing.

"I think it's not just a failure of communication. I think it's also a failure of leadership on the part of the health department," said opposition Senator Francis Pangilinan.

Coronavirus: WHO warns of grave risk to poorer countries (1:41)
As of Monday, February 17, there were three confirmed coronavirus cases in the country, including one death and one patient, who had returned to China before her infection was confirmed. At least 171 patients remain hospitalised and are under investigation, while 350 others were discharged.

At an infectious disease hospital, where the infected couple from Wuhan was admitted, medical staff told Al Jazeera the lack of transparency from health authorities, understaffing, and shortage of protective medical equipment expose the dire state of the country's public health system that is "ill-prepared" to manage the outbreak.

"When the health department said we are prepared for this (COVID19), I don't know if they are saying that because they want to prevent public panic or they want to lie," one staff nurse, who asked not to be identified, told Al Jazeera.

Panic at hospital
Another nurse recalled to Al Jazeera how medical staff grew anxious after the Chinese man's condition turned for the worse and he had to be intubated - a medical procedure employed when a patient can no longer breathe on his own without assistance.

Then panic and chaos ensued at the Manila-based public hospital when the patient died of the infection.

The healthcare workers, who had been treating the two infected patients from Wuhan, had to be quarantined themselves, forcing other medical staff to work overtime.Some of the health workers simply broke down in tears due to exhaustion and anxiety over the spread of the virus, they told Al Jazeera.

Another nurse at the same hospital said there are standard protocols for the handling of new and emerging diseases. But quick turnaround of health workers, who seek higher-paying jobs in other hospitals or outside the country, makes it difficult to implement the policy.

"Health authorities also need to take the emotional and psychological preparedness of health workers into consideration," said the staff nurse.

'Surgical masks as thin as tissue paper'
At another public hospital in Manila, two nurses in the general admission ward are assigned to take care of about 100 patients during their shift. The hospital is also preparing one of its wards to be a quarantine area.

Their supervisor showed to Al Jazeera a mask that they use as protective gear from the virus.

"It's as thin as tissue paper. It can probably only mask bad breath," she scoffed. "But we don't have a choice, this is all we have. We wear two masks at a time."

Coronavirus - Philippines
Despite criticisms, the Philippine government has assured the public that is is prepared to deal with the coronavirus outbreak [Aaron Favila/AP]
"The DOH is prepared. But what we are seeing is the virus is infecting people faster. Despite the challenges, the overstretched workforce of health workers and limited resources, we have contained the infections and prevented any cases of local transmissions," said Alethea De Guzman of the Department of Health's Epidemiology Bureau.

According to estimates the doctor-to-patient ratio in the Philippines is one doctor per 33,000 patients, and one hospital bed is available to every 1,121 Filipino patients.

"We understand the anxiety that our health workers are feeling. But we also have to consider that there is a shortage of personal protective equipment worldwide because of the global epidemic outbreak," de Guzman said, adding that the government is trying to secure more supplies and protective equipment despite a global shortage.

Earlier this month, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte announced that 2.25 billion Philippine pesos ($44.5m) would be allocated to buy protective gear, which will include goggles, N95 masks, gloves, headgear for front line health workers.

Ana P. Santos
@iamAnaSantos
A health worker in a public hospital in Manila shows the mask they use. “It’s as thin as tissue paper...just enough to mask bad breathe.” 

Public health workers say the COVID-19 virus is weighing heavily on the battered public health system. My report on @AJEnglish coming up.

View image on Twitter
2:07 AM - Feb 17, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Ana P. Santos's other Tweets
Budget cut for healthcare
But the additional budget allocation came on the heels of the health department's 2020 budget being cut by 10 billion Philippine pesos ($197m).

Several legislators criticised the move saying that the country is already struggling to cope with the recent successive outbreaks of dengue and measles and the resurgence of polio.

In a statement, opposition lawmaker Senator Risa Hontiveros called the budget cut "illogical, counterproductive and even criminal."

Coronavirus recovery rates (2:00)
Jocelyn Santos-Andamo, the secretary-general of Filipino Nurses United (FNU), a national union of nurses, said in general, the government does not treat health as a priority.

"The already low health budget was further cut resulting in less medical supplies, poorly maintained medical equipment and understaffing. Even before COVID-19, the public health systems was already deteriorating," she said.

FNU and the Alliance of Health Workers, a union of government and private health workers, have been holding protests demanding for adequate protective gear for nurses and an increase in their minimum monthly salary currently pegged at 16,000 Philippine pesos ($320).

The World Health Organization (WHO) said that the Philippines has improved its healthcare capacity over the years.

Explainer: Battle against coronavirus (1:26)
"We can see that by how they have successfully contained three individual cases of COVID-19 and prevented it from infecting others," said Dr Rabi Abeyasinghe, WHO Representative for the Philippines.

"Looking at the global trend, we need to prepare for a possible large scale community outbreak" where the virus is transmitted from person to person," Abeyasinghe added.

But the staff nurse at the infectious diseases hospital shrugged her shoulders and sighed at the news.

"I don't know anymore. Times like this the only thing you can do is pray - and I'm not even a religious person."

SOURCE: AL JAZEERA NEWS

Coronavirus outbreak
Health
Philippines
China
Have your say.Give us feedback.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Al Jazeera
Facebook
Twitter
RSS
Podcast
YouTube
About
About Us
Code of Ethics
Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Cookie Policy
Cookie Preferences
Community Guidelines
Work for us
HR Quality
Connect
Contact Us
Apps
Social
Channel Finder
TV Schedule
Podcasts
Newsletter
Submit a Tip
Directory
Our Channels
Al Jazeera Arabic
Al Jazeera English
Al Jazeera Mubasher
Al Jazeera Documentary
Al Jazeera Balkans
AJ+
Our Network
Jetty
Al Jazeera Centre for Studies
Al Jazeera Media Institute
Learn Arabic
Al Jazeera Centre for Public Liberties & Human Rights
Al Jazeera Forum
Al Jazeera Film Festival
Al Jazeera Hotel Partners
© 2020 Al Jazeera Media Network

I put the entire page in a spoiler but it reads better if you go to the link . .  if you are interested

• Sad 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted

I have no problem with Chinese people, but I'm staying away from Chinese restaurants right now.

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/philippines-ill-prepared-grapples-coronavirus-threat-200218004321154.html

This reporter has no faith in the Philippine ability to control this virus.  Lets hope he is wrong

Last I checked, the Philippine situation seems to be improving, even while other countries are getting worse.  Now I worry about them lifting some of the flight restrictions too soon.  Also starting to hear that the virus may 'recur' after several weeks.

One thing going for Philippines is the many islands and remote mountain areas.  I have no doubt they would institute their own quarantine policies against outsiders, in fact some already did that near where we are.   

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It's certainly the virus that keeps on giving.  More and more patients that were given the all clear after recovering fully have now been shown to be super carriers. It's looking a bit like herpes where you can be a carrier without ever having symptoms. Very dangerous if that is the case. 

• Sad 3

Jack D
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This reporter has no faith in the Philippine ability to control this virus.  

It's not just the Philippines, since the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the US has issued a risk assessment for controlling the coronavirus, and it looks bleak.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/summary.html#risk-assessment

Here's a snip:

What May Happen

More cases are likely to be identified in the coming days, including more cases in the United States. It’s also likely that person-to-person spread will continue to occur, including in the United States. Widespread transmission of COVID-19 in the United States would translate into large numbers of people needing medical care at the same time.

Schools, childcare centers, workplaces, and other places for mass gatherings may experience more absenteeism. Public health and healthcare systems may become overloaded, with elevated rates of hospitalizations and deaths. Other critical infrastructure, such as law enforcement, emergency medical services, and transportation industry may also be affected.

Health care providers and hospitals may be overwhelmed. At this time, there is no vaccine to protect against COVID-19 and no medications approved to treat it. Nonpharmaceutical interventions would be the most important response strategy.

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

More and more patients that were given the all clear after recovering fully have now been shown to be super carriers.

I don't doubt you, Snowy, but I would like to read your source of that first-hand? That is a very scary thought!

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

On the other hand, the death rate so far seems to be only 3% or less.  I hold that number with an asterisk, as the recovery rate is still not really known.  So maybe a lot of infected people haven't died yet.  Or the infection comes and goes, as others are wondering.