Knock on effect of the virus

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

On the other hand, the death rate so far seems to be only 3% or less. 

2% to 3% is what I've seen quoted too but that's across the entire population.  For people who are older and other conditions such as high BP, reduced lung capacity, heart disease etc the figures are definitely higher, what is unknown at this point is how much higher?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I don't doubt you, Snowy, but I would like to read your source of that first-hand? That is a very scary thought!

I'll see if I can track down the original source but it highlighted so called cured patients found to be carriers after their symptoms had gone away.  This article also highlights that some can be carriers without getting ill. https://www.sciencealert.com/researchers-confirmed-patients-can-transmit-the-coronavirus-without-showing-symptoms

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I'll see if I can track down the original source but it highlighted so called cured patients found to be carriers after their symptoms had gone away.  This article also highlights that some can be carriers without getting ill. https://www.sciencealert.com/researchers-confirmed-patients-can-transmit-the-coronavirus-without-showing-symptoms

So then, I wonder how the powers that be will handle those who are asymptomatic carriers? Or those who are "cured" but still contagious? And even more frightening are the determinations that the incubation period could be as high as 24 days? That would mean that the 14 day quarantines are nearly useless in the long run?

Yes....questions, questions, questions...

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

On the other hand, the death rate so far seems to be only 3% or less.

Statistics lie.

Of the 3 confirmed cases in the Philippines, one died due to severe pneumonia because of COVID-19, the disease caused by the new virus, while the other two have since recovered.

Link.https://www.rappler.com/nation/252687-suspected-novel-coronavirus-cases-per-region-philippines-february-25-2020  So this statistic is trying to tell us that only 3 people in the Philippines are confirmed to have the virus and one died.  33%??

Freebie
Posted
Posted

If you look at the coronavirus tracker from John Hopkins yes it also shows 3 cases only in Philippines.

Who were very quick to shut down flights from and to HK. which only has 86 cases

And yet South Korea has over 1100 and flights still landing in Philippines.

Makes you wonder whos in charge and by what yardstick they are measuring this.

Meanwhile, and yes I dont deny I have an element of racism there are far fewer chinese floating around Makati and this is definately a good thing.

( Disclaimer.. I lived and worked in China for ovre 8 years and have a very good idea of their morals manners ( lack pf maybe ????)  and how the chinese  have a very loose relationship to the truth.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Statistics lie.

Link.https://www.rappler.com/nation/252687-suspected-novel-coronavirus-cases-per-region-philippines-february-25-2020  So this statistic is trying to tell us that only 3 people in the Philippines are confirmed to have the virus and one died.  33%??

Yeah but...., the one that died had HIV.  And he was with one of the other two cases.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, GeoffH said:

2% to 3% is what I've seen quoted too but that's across the entire population.  For people who are older and other conditions such as high BP, reduced lung capacity, heart disease etc the figures are definitely higher, what is unknown at this point is how much higher?

80+ years old
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old    
no fatalities

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the link, I did visit your link and the age based figures are the average across the age group yes but the real kicker is the comorbidities figures which I've cut and pasted below.  If I use me as an example 60 to 69 years would suggest a fatality rate of 3.6% but cardivascular disease is 10.5% and hypertension is 6.4%.  I've got both cardiovascular disease and hypertension so I'm guessing my risk of dying if I caught the virus would be substantially higher than 3.6% (and given more than one comorbidity maybe even higher than the 10.5% quoted for cardiovascular disease).

Capture.JPG

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Fecked again.  The Duterte govenrment would not let us leave the country via Hong Kong and now they just announced they won't let us leave via South Korea. We are all checked in and ready to go in 24 hours.  Why do they give a feck?  We are not coming back.  Are they gonna give me my money back for the tickets.  I think not.  Feckers.  And people wonder why I want to leave this country.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

The genie has definitely got out of the bottle, Italy now has 11 deaths from 300 infected ,iran has a much higher percentage of deaths ,but this could be as a result of economic sanctions reducing their health 

It was debated in the UK parliament today and  also in the US , it was shown on tv that the guy in charge of homeland security could not guarantee that there were enough masks for everyone  in the USA 

Super carriers are what scares the medical profession, there was an Irish woman at the turn of last century who was incarcerated in isolation as she carried a killer disease but was unaffected herself ,malone was her surname 

• Sad 2