Knock on effect of the virus

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

My humble apologies for saying a few weeks ago that the Coronavirus would not be a serious problem, or words to that effect.

I now believe the situation may well (poor word choice) become quite serious. I have told the wife to get an emergency stock of food in case widespread quarantines disrupt supply chains.

The President fired the entire pandemic response team at the CDC.

Edited by Old55
deleted the political hate
  • Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

I now believe the situation may well (poor word choice) become quite serious. I have told the wife to get an emergency stock of food in case widespread quarantines disrupt supply chains.

I concur. I have heard reports that 40% of factories are shutdown in china. When those things in the supply chain run out there will be shortages. Probably a good idea to stock up on those consumable items you normally use and keep some extra non perishable food stuffs at the house. We are in the US so I am not as concerned about food shortages but we plan on stocking up so that if the virus spreads we don't have to make many trips to the store to help reduce our chances of getting exposed by staying home most of the time.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

In addition to the above (which is good advice) some of the things that people can do are -:

Buying a stock of normal household bleech, it doesn't have to be scented... just the cheapest bleech you can find and use it diluted to sanitize things like counter tops and household items. 

Practice proper hand washing, front of hands 5 seconds, back of hands 5 seconds (use the palm to wash the back of the other hand), wash between fingers interlaced and pay particular attention to the finger nails.  Wash every time before and after you eat and use the CR and avoid touching your eyes, mouth, nose or preferably your face with your hands as much as possible.  Convince other people in the house to do the same.

Keep a supply of simple anti-fever medication like ibuprofun and/or acetaminophen (Paracetamol) and make sure your first aid kit is stocked and up to date.  

Lay in a few weeks supply of your regular medications, you don't want to have to go to a doctor or hospital to get a prescription/supply if the virus is already in your area.

Practice self isolation once cases start appearing near by.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Keep a supply of simple anti-fever medication like ibuprofun and/or acetaminophen (Paracetamol) and make sure your first aid kit is stocked and up to date.  

One thing to note is that a fever, which indicates an elevated body temperature, is one of the ways your body fights off bacterial or viral infections. So you might consider holding off on treating the fever unless it gets too high.

https://www.healthpages.org/health-a-z/fever-adults/

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Have Corona Virus parties!

I remember when my kids were young.  Their mother invited all their friends over for a chicken pox party.  The theory was, if you are gonna get it anyway then you may as well all get it together and get it over with.  "Experts' suggest that getting this kind of virus at a young age gives a better chance of recovery and future immunity.  We can hope they are right.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I remember when my kids were young.  Their mother invited all their friends over for a chicken pox party.  The theory was, if you are gonna get it anyway then you may as well all get it together and get it over with.  "Experts' suggest that getting this kind of virus at a young age gives a better chance of recovery and future immunity.  We can hope they are right.

Just don't invite the grand parents. :9436:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted

I will say this.... Filipino's are a tough lot.... I'd say conservatively 50% in our town don't have any plans on what they are going to eat the next day, let alone think about stockpiling. The reaction I've seen here wrt corona virus is similar the hype around the 1979 Skylab falling out of the sky.... I'm half expecting t-shirts saying "I survived COVID-19" to pop up.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Actually Dave, that may not be such a good idea. I just read an article yesterday about a woman who had the virus, recovered, then got infected a second time, all in the matter of a few weeks. So there is serious concern that any acquired immunity may be extremely short lived... This virus is getting scarier and scarier to me...

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Guy F. said:

My humble apologies for saying a few weeks ago that the Coronavirus would not be a serious problem, or words to that effect.

The President fired the entire pandemic response team at the CDC.

Gary although I agreed with what you said I deleted some of the political content.

And who could know it would spread like it has lets all hope it will quickly pass. 

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

Gary although I agreed with what you said I deleted some of the political content.

And who could know it would spread like it has lets all hope it will quickly pass. 

I not saying this is divine retribution, but it's starting to look a little like divine retribution.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1