Is it really Cheese?

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I love the Australian imported cheeses - Bega and several others

Those are tasty! At SM there's also a California cheese, I think it's called, which is a white cheddar. I've been buying Joseph Farms Cheese at S&R. The Pepper Jack has just the right ratio of jalapenos in it. The Medium cheddar is also good.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Ha! I remember this!

https://www.history.com/news/government-cheese-dairy-farmers-reagan

If you’ve ever tasted what’s known as “government cheese,” you won’t soon forget it. Its flavor was described as somewhere between Velveeta and American cheese and smacked of humiliation or gratitude for the people who couldn’t afford not to eat it.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, JDDavao said:

Those are tasty! At SM there's also a California cheese, I think it's called, which is a white cheddar. I've been buying Joseph Farms Cheese at S&R. The Pepper Jack has just the right ratio of jalapenos in it. The Medium cheddar is also good.

Interestingly, L does not like the Joseph Farms cheddar so much - she claims it is too mild and I have to agree with her. She prefers the bite of the Ozzie cheeses. But the pepper jack is always a winner here! I used to love Tillamook cheese years ago but now find it is bland compared to the Ozzie or Kiwi cheeses.

I like to use the Extra Tasty sometimes but it is actually a bit too sharp. It goes well instead of Parmesan or Romano - which are not always easy to find and tend to be a bit pricey.

Just be careful who you are around when you cut the cheese, JD....:hystery:

• Haha 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Ha! I remember this!

Yeah... when I was in university and usually broke, I bailed out for Velveeta and American cheese. But what do you do when you have only $2 in your pocket and you want cheese?...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jack D said:

Do most Expats eat Eden Cheese?

Only when nothing else is available. It's not that bad once you get used to it!:smile:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JDDavao said:

I had some of that when I was in my early 20's tasted good at the time. But then again most food tastes good after a six pack or so of beer has been had.:tongue:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JDDavao said:

We have the California cheeses at Royal here.  I like the pepper jack on top of a burger patty for a keto meal.  Royal also has two other lines of U.S. cheese that are good and the price is not too bad.

S&R has one I really like.  It is a bacon cheddar and it also goes really well on a burger patty.  It might be Joseph Farms or another brand they carry.

I don't eat the Eden cheese, with one exception that usually involves beer.  Sometimes my wife or family make the "Shanghai" rolls without the "Shanghai", but with Eden cheese.  Or with Eden and peppers.  Love those piping hot with cold beer!

Here is what I picked up just now at Royal, for my keto days.

ar.jpg  jack.jpg

better.jpg  gar.jpg

Bacon.jpg  turkey.jpg

• Like 4

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Eden Cheese ?🤣🤣🤣🤣 sorry tried it but no !

I only buy Australian Chedder for my cheese on toast stil looking for Canadian chedder but no luck as of yet, weaned my wife off of eden well almost ! I think Filipinos are like us its what they are used to ! I miss several things from the UK ! especially Cider but san mig Apple is a good substitute.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Only when nothing else is available. It's not that bad once you get used to it!:smile:

Agreed.  It's not so different to the Dairylea Cheese triangles we had (have) in the UK - I used to love them!  

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I told my wife if butter or cheese do not need refrigeration... they are NOT butter or cheese!  :)

I buy cheddar, emmental, or colby/jack.  She likes Eden.  You like what you are used to. If I put spaghetti out at a fiesta, I know to put a small amount of parmesan, and a lot of Eden.  The foreigners use the parmesan, the locals use Eden (works for me because Eden is cheap) :tiphat:

• Haha 1