Moving from Thailand

PeterB
Posted
Posted

Hi i,m from the UK and lived in Thailand 13 years and wish to move somewhere in the Phillipines.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i know nothing about the country.

At the moment i live in Udon Thani in the NE of the country which is a reasonable size city with all the

facilities ie: bars restaurants etc.

I would like to move within the next 2 months if possible, i have 2 suggestions from friends at the moment Davao and Cebu but i am open to any more suggestions

Regards Peter

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Udon Thani

Welcome Udon Thani.  Hopefully some members can give you good suggestions.

boyee
Posted
Posted

Welcome Peter B.  If you don't mind me asking.  Why are you moving from Thailand after so many years?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome Peter.

Have you visited Philippines in the past?

The places you mentioned are a good starting point. Strongly suggest you visit for a few weeks before you actually move ensure you are okay living there 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi i,m from the UK and lived in Thailand 13 years and wish to move somewhere in the Phillipines.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i know nothing about the country.

At the moment i live in Udon Thani in the NE of the country which is a reasonable size city with all the

facilities ie: bars restaurants etc.

I would like to move within the next 2 months if possible, i have 2 suggestions from friends at the moment Davao and Cebu but i am open to any more suggestions

Regards Peter

I'll throw in another just to give you another option - Iloilo. 

But, your question is a bit like asking what we recommend you eat for dinner - more detail would help us pinpoint somewhere that meets your needs.  

PeterB
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your replies in answer to some of the queries:

Because of changes in my Gov. Pension come April 6th i will be considerably worse off due to Thailand having no agreement with them where as the Phillipines as.

I have contacted the pension people in the UK and was told if i live there my pension would be similar to what i am presently receiving and would also get the % increases.

My needs are simple a place that as a decent night life and a few bars and restaurants not expensive as i,m living on a fixed income an apt would meet my needs i dont know the costs etc but at the moment i am paying 7000 baht  a month so anything in that region

By the sea would be ideal but am open to elsewhere.

I have never been to the Phillipines before as one person mentioned.

My ideal would be to come and find an apartment to live in and provide an address to inform the pension people so i could get my pension sorted and move between there and Udon where i presently live .

Regards  Peter

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, PeterB said:

Davao and Cebu

Good places both. At least that's what members say. I dropped anchor here in Cavite in 2002 and haven't regretted it. I'm not a bar guy though. Close to Manila if you like going out to restaurants. Traffic is getting crazy everywhere around here. If you can't visit first..just throw a dart at the map and go wherever it lands. Don't like it? Move somewhere till you do.:wave:

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

7000 baht is just over 11000 pesos. Keeping away from the main centres you should get something reasonable. Maybe not beach front.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Thanks for your replies in answer to some of the queries:

Because of changes in my Gov. Pension come April 6th i will be considerably worse off due to Thailand having no agreement with them where as the Phillipines as.

I have contacted the pension people in the UK and was told if i live there my pension would be similar to what i am presently receiving and would also get the % increases.

My needs are simple a place that as a decent night life and a few bars and restaurants not expensive as i,m living on a fixed income an apt would meet my needs i dont know the costs etc but at the moment i am paying 7000 baht  a month so anything in that region

By the sea would be ideal but am open to elsewhere.

I have never been to the Phillipines before as one person mentioned.

My ideal would be to come and find an apartment to live in and provide an address to inform the pension people so i could get my pension sorted and move between there and Udon where i presently live .

Regards  Peter

You are right in that you would be better off pension wise here as you would get the annual increases each year but as Thailand and the UK have no reciprocal agreement you wouldn't there.  

But...be careful about living in 2 places as the DfWP may be interested to know if you really live in the Philippines if you spend time in the Philippines and in Thailand.