Filipinas traveling via Hong Kong

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Facts needed about air travel to Canada that includes a stop and plane change in Hong Kong. (Happening before the end of Feb).  There has been so much conflicting info on the news I want to know where I can find some current facts.

I, Canadian and my Filipina  Partner, (New Permanent Resident Canada), want to travel to Canada from the Philippines. The flights that change planes in Hong Kong are currently SOOOOO much cheaper than a direct flight.  That may be because people are reluctant to travel via Hong Kong or it may be because they cannot legally do it.  Changing planes in Hong Kong and never leaving the secure (airside) area would be my choice, pricewise.

So I want to know if the Philippines have any current, arbitrary rules that would prohibit a Filipina from getting on a plane to Hong Kong in this circumstance.  Its not like she would be coming back to spread a virus here.

Anyone who has done it this month, or who has a link to the rules on this would be most welcome to comment

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Here are links to PAL and Cathay.  Both airlines say they are not flying Philippine citizens to Hong Kong.  Apparently they have relaxed the travel rule but only for OFW who work in Hong Kong.

https://www.philippineairlines.com/AboutUs/newsandevents/pal-extends-cancellation-feb102020

PAL ADVISORY #11 / February 10, 2020

Philippine Airlines has extended until March 28, 2020 the cancellation of flights between Manila and the following points in greater China: BEIJING, HONG KONG, GUANGZHOU, SHANGHAI, XIAMEN, QUANZHOU (JINJIANG) and MACAU.

We are compelled to cancel these flights until March 28 in view of the continuing travel restrictions imposed by the Philippine Government as a public health and safety measure, related to the novel coronavirus situation. The travel restrictions:
 - ban the entry into the Philippines of any persons, except Filipino citizens and holders of Permanent Resident Visa issued by the Philippine Government, who come directly from mainland China and its Special Administrative Regions (SARs), or who had been to China and its SARs within 14 days prior to their arrival in the Philippines.
 - ban Filipinos from traveling to mainland China and its SARs.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_BE/travel-information/travel-preparation/travel-advisories/flights-to-and-from-the-philippines.html

For Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon flights from Manila, Clark, Davao and Cebu to Hong Kong:

Under a temporary travel restriction, Philippine citizens are not permitted to travel to Mainland China, Hong Kong or Macao. This includes Philippine citizens with Hong Kong as their destination, and those travelling with onward connections.
Non-Philippine citizens may continue to travel from the Philippines as normal.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/philippine-workers-travel-hong-kong-macau-coronavirus-fear-12447220

MANILA: The Philippines on Tuesday (Feb 18) allowed Filipino workers to travel to Hong Kong and Macau, relaxing the travel ban it imposed on China and its special administrative regions to control the spread of the coronavirus.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

Here are links

Thanks Mike.  Hard to find the current info as the Internet never erases anything.  It looks like that is the reason the prices via Hong Kong are dirt cheap.  The Philippine governement babysitting their citizens.  Even the emigrants trying to get out of this place are controlled "for their own good"

Frustration at its finest.

Just to put my own opinion on this.  I believe there is more chance catching this virus from someone on a plane (or a cruise ship) than there is going from going gate to gate in the secure area of Hong Kong airport.  From what the news is saying, the virus is present in Taiwan, Korea, and Japan too so there is no "safe" way.  And that is the reason Philippine Airlines is able to smile wide and put the direct to Canada flights at a high price (for now)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Thanks Mike.  Hard to find the current info as the Internet never erases anything.  It looks like that is the reason the prices via Hong Kong are dirt cheap.  The Philippine governement babysitting their citizens.  Even the emigrants trying to get out of this place are controlled "for their own good"

Frustration at its finest.

Just to put my own opinion on this.  I believe there is more chance catching this virus from someone on a plane (or a cruise ship) than there is going from going gate to gate in the secure area of Hong Kong airport.  From what the news is saying, the virus is present in Taiwan, Korea, and Japan too so there is no "safe" way.  And that is the reason Philippine Airlines is able to smile wide and put the direct to Canada flights at a high price (for now)

I was looking at Manila - Los Angeles and Manila - Honolulu yesterday, and the fares are very high.  Over $1000.  I think you are right.  They can temporarily demand higher prices.

How about via Korea?  Last time I went to LAX I used Asiana due to the low price.  They probably fly to the major cities in Canada.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

How about via Korea?

Its an option we are looking at. But they have the virus there too so could be shut down by Duterte at any minute.

https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-21-20-intl-hnk/index.html

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its an option we are looking at. But they have the virus there too so could be shut down by Duterte at any minute.

Dave... I made this comment in another current thread, but will repeat it here in case you missed it.

Unless your journey back to Canada is truly urgent, I suggest you consider just waiting a while until all this virus contagion danger is done and passed? It appears that it spreads quickly and quietly and know one yet understands how exactly. Again, if it were me, I would hunker down and just wait it out...

Just my thoughts to you...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

You didn't say where in Canada.  But if it is east coast of north america, you may find a flight heading west with about the same travel time.  Have flown the route from here to Dubai to Washington DC before.  Recently we connected to a flight in Istanbul, others have mentioned Doha, etc.  It could be a more virus-free option. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  We are currently in the middle of a booking (email says they are confirming with the airlines and will send final booking within hours)

It occurs to me that there are so many things about Canada that I used to hate and now I respect.  For example:

Canada:  You cannot bring your kid on your lap on your motorcycle because there is a danger they might get hurt.
Philippines:  Sure, bring 10 kids on your motorcycle if you can get them to fit but do not let an adult or child emigrate though Hong Kong as maybe they get sick.

As you can tell, I am tired of the Philippine BS and it is time for me to go home.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

As you can tell, I am tired of the Philippine BS and it is time for me to go home.

Yeah... I can sense that... Just be careful, Dave, and don't endanger yourself or family any more than necessary...

• Thanks 1