Sanity Check - Labor Cost

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Several of us contributed to a car aircon issue topic back in August. Perhaps if you reviewed that it might help you to understand the components of your system and all the possible things that could be wrong?

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/30817-car-aircon-service/?tab=comments#comment-262922

After reading this post, it could be a number of things. Possibly the radiator got plugged up with ash and is reducing air flow? That would be my guess if it is related to your visit to Taal. Is your engine temperature looking a bit too high also? If so, then that might point to the issue. That may not be the whole problem, but possibly a contributing factor?

Regardless, I would suggest your mechanic examine your radiator(s) anyway to see if those small air passages might be clogged up and carefully clean them out if that is even a remote possibility. If done carefully and properly, it won't hurt anything and will only enhance the efficiency...

Thanks, I read the other thread.

I may have over emphasized the dust problem when we went to Sta. Rosa.  You would encounter just as much dust with a bit of off roading.  As far as I can see, the radiator and engine don't have excessive dust accumulated.

On my Trailblazer, there is a separate little mini-radiator for the air con.  I'm sure he will be checking it today.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I may have over emphasized the dust problem when we went to Sta. Rosa.  You would encounter just as much dust with a bit of off roading.  As far as I can see, the radiator and engine don't have excessive dust accumulated.

On my Trailblazer, there is a separate little mini-radiator for the air con.  I'm sure he will be checking it today.

Yeah... that's the case with many cars - two radiators and two fans. I'm glad the dust is not an apparent issue - volcanic ash is challenging to remove sometimes and nasty to breathe.

As you then read in the other thread, a qualified air/con guy will just methodically check the various systems one at a time to verify the different components are operating correctly. Low gas volume is a frequent - and cheap and easy - thing needing attention. I had a gas "sniffer" on the yacht that I sold and now wish I never had. I don't have any problems now, but one of those can sometimes locate a leak if used correctly and the leak is big enough. But if your system ran for five years before losing gas, I would not be concerned - if that is the only issue. Over time, the seals and gaskets and compressor slowly wear out (sort of like us?).

Your mechanic should check the sight glass for bubbles. Does he have a gauge set? That will tell the tale...

I hope it works out for you as a cheap and easy fix!:cheersty:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

He just sent me a video of where one of the AC pipes is leaking, so I will have him do a complete service.

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Another thing I will probably do is air con service.  Air con is almost not working and I probably have a leak.  He quoted me p8500 for a complete air con service.  Is this in the ballpark?

Sounds way to high unless the condenser needs to be replaced. They are the most expensive part. Not an unreasonable price if that's the case. It never hurts to get a second or third opinion. Good luck.:shades:  

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Does he have a gauge set?

If they don't have a gauge set..drive away right after you say..maybe next time.:laugh:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Joey G said:

On the AIRCON... if you are still pushing some cold air, you might just need to top off the refrigerant (R-134 probably).... not uncommon after 5 years... thats pretty easy to do... not sure how much the R-134 goes for but not hat much.  Wondering what more he does for 8500 without knowing if parts are required?

So on the air con, he sub-contracts to a local A/C guy he trusts and has all the equipment.  There was a noticeable leak at one of the pipe junctions, so I had them do everything.  Cleaned the entire system out, new freon and oil, fix the leaking o-ring.  Not sure if they replaced all the o-rings in the pipes.  Total was p6500.  Should be good to go for a long time, except....  he said my blower fan motor is probably going to go, so I need to order a new one.

The front end work was as quoted, except he said I need new rack ends, so he could not do the alignment.  So I need to order those.

Total bill was p12,250 and he let me use my U.S. credit card with no surcharge.  His counter girl indicated they usually have a credit card surcharge.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

So on the air con, he sub-contracts to a local A/C guy he trusts and has all the equipment.  There was a noticeable leak at one of the pipe junctions, so I had them do everything.  Cleaned the entire system out, new freon and oil, fix the leaking o-ring.  Not sure if they replaced all the o-rings in the pipes.  Total was p6500.  Should be good to go for a long time, except....  he said my blower fan motor is probably going to go, so I need to order a new one.

From what you are writing, it sounds like his guy knows his stuff... I guess you will find out over time how well he did. His costs do not sound out of line to me if he is doing the quality repairs that are required.

RBM
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The front end work was as quoted, except he said I need new rack ends, so he could not do the alignment.  So I need to order those.

Total bill was p12,250 and he let me use my U.S. credit card with no surcharge.  His counter girl indicated they usually have a credit card surcharge.

What surprises me, if if I remember correctly your unit has done just 80,000 KM  My Chevi Spin is close to this and apart from  the air con filter being replaced zero problems,

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, RBM said:

What surprises me, if if I remember correctly your unit has done just 80,000 KM  My Chevi Spin is close to this and apart from  the air con filter being replaced zero problems,

76k.  I don't know what could cause the leak.  It was on a pipe joint down on the right side of the engine and not really in a place where it might get easily bumped or knocked.  Just the O-ring going bad?

Have you heard about Chevy Thailand ?  And Chevy (Holden) Austrailia?  And others?  Shutting down.  Chevy Philippines has to be next as it would not be cost effective to import vehicles from the U.S.  I'm wondering about the parts supply chain for the Philippines.  I was thinking it might be worthwhile to stock up on some things.

Have you replaced your timing belt?  Recommended on the Trailblazer at 60k.

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

A few words about aircon systems, to help illustrate the problems one might encounter getting it repaired here:

Air conditioners are a sealed system under vacuum pressure, relying on the heat exchange capabilities of the R134 gas inside.  A lot of components make up the system, and each joint is potential for a leak.  External factors like inadequate airflow can also be a problem of course.  

The issue I experienced when getting it repaired here, is the 'frugal' nature of the repairman, who also expects a frugal customer.  So he may re-use a rubber o-ring instead of fitting a new one.  He may re-use or re-braze a joint instead of bending a new one.  He may cap off old lines instead of replacing them, or add new oil instead of flushing it, etc.  

Without new parts, the right tools, and a clean working environment, the repair stands a high chance of failure in the end.  So if you find a good shop, who knows what they are doing, and who has the right tools, by all means pay whatever you need to pay!