Sanity Check - Labor Cost

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Have you heard about Chevy Thailand ?  And Chevy (Holden) Austrailia?  And others?  Shutting down.  Chevy Philippines has to be next as it would not be cost effective to import vehicles from the U.S. 

GM are getting our of Right Hand Drive manufacture, their Right Hand Drive manufacturing plant in Thailand has been sold to Great Wall.

That's why GM (chevy) Thailand, GM Australia (Holden), GM New Zealand (Holden) are being shuttered.

In Theory that shouldn't mean that GM (Chevy) Philippines also closes because the Philippines is a Left Hand Drive country (although it might effect the cost and availability of some parts that were common to both LHD and RHD models that were made in Thailand).  They had already exited the UK in 2015 and no longer have any ownership of Opel or Vauxaul etc and recently also closed a plant in India. 

I'm not sure where GM Philippines source their cars from but I doubt it was Thailand, as far as I knew that was RHD only manufacture?  Maybe Mexico?

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1127140_gm-axes-holden-in-global-exit-from-right-hand-drive-markets

Edited by GeoffH

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

GM are getting our of Right Hand Drive manufacture, their Right Hand Drive manufacturing plant in Thailand has been sold to Great Wall.

That's why GM (chevy) Thailand, GM Australia (Holden), GM New Zealand (Holden) are being shuttered.

In Theory that shouldn't mean that GM (Chevy) Philippines also closes because the Philippines is a Left Hand Drive country (although it might effect the cost and availability of some parts that were common to both LHD and RHD models that were made in Thailand).  They had already exited the UK in 2015 and no longer have any ownership of Opel or Vauxaul etc and recently also closed a plant in India. 

I'm not sure where GM Philippines source their cars from but I doubt it was Thailand, as far as I knew that was RHD only manufacture?  Maybe Mexico?

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1127140_gm-axes-holden-in-global-exit-from-right-hand-drive-markets

Just kidding now, Geoff... but maybe it's time for NZ, Oz, Japan and GB to consider learning how to drive on the "right" side of the road? :whistling: Just saying...

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

No, it was Thailand.  My Trailblazer was built in Thailand and most of the GM parts I buy are from there.  They also build them in Brazil.

Isuzu MUX, same platform as the Trailblazer, was also built there, and may be impacted the sale of the plant.

• Hmm thinking 1