Allergies

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

It works fairly well but it does sting a bit when you first put the drops in.

I just read that label and compared to my bottle here - same exact formula, so it's a keeper. I will look for it next time I'm in a pharmacy. Lot's of people have allergies here so I would bet they have this or equivalent. Thanks!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I just bought some Zyrtec at Mercury.  I didn't realized they sell it in those packages they keep on the counter.  Buy 8 get two free for 232.75, so it works out to 23.275 per tab.

When do you take it?  I think I will try taking it before bed time.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I tend to take it with my morning medicine because I'm more likely to be outside and exposed to allergins.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I just bought some Zyrtec at Mercury.  I didn't realized they sell it in those packages they keep on the counter.  Buy 8 get two free for 232.75, so it works out to 23.275 per tab.

Available at Generic Pharmacy as cetirizine.   Next time I buy some will check the exact price but I know it is much cheaper than 20+ peso per tab.  I take mine before bed.  Some people are leery of buying at Generic Pharmacy but everything I purchase there has been just as effective as the branded stuff.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

It's good for 24 hours so I don't know if it really matters so much when you take it. It does take effect in about an hour or so depending on if you have eaten or not.

Do be aware that L does experience a bit of drowsiness that will last for most of a day and tiredness too, but she is rather prone to that. I experience no side effects. If it does make you drowsy, it is nothing like the old antihistamines, just slight.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

It's good for 24 hours so I don't know if it really matters so much when you take it. It does take effect in about an hour or so depending on if you have eaten or not.

Do be aware that L does experience a bit of drowsiness that will last for most of a day and tiredness too, but she is rather prone to that. I experience no side effects. If it does make you drowsy, it is nothing like the old antihistamines, just slight.

I think I also have the drowsiness, which is why I stopped taking it.  I'm going to try again.  

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I think I also have the drowsiness, which is why I stopped taking it.  I'm going to try again.  

Maybe try taking it at night time before bed rather than in the morning?

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 2/23/2020 at 8:54 AM, Tommy T. said:

I thought I would fire up a new topic on allergies since there seems to be some interest in these and not clog up the Corona Virus thread. Some of the same information I am giving here is also in another thread about health and home care from several months ago...

I have suffered through allergies my whole life. Fortunately I grew out of many of them but some still persist. They were part of the reason I left Seattle. Some of the weed and tree pollen and year around moldiness made me miserable at certain times of the year and gave me a lot of discomfort all year.

Here in Davao I experience periods of allergic reactions - sometimes stronger than others. They usually last several days. I am guessing it is some type of plant pollen that is released but really do not know.

A world class allergist and fellow sailor met with L and I for several hours a couple years ago and discussed allergies.

He also recommended Zyrtec and it works well. My eyes get watery often on the bad days and make me look like I am crying - I hate that. I have some anti-allergy eye drops for those days but my supply is running low. I have not checked to see if they have it here: Naphcon A.

I also use a nose spray sometimes called Nasonex which is a brand name of Mometasone Hydrate. This works wonders by acting similar to a steroid and desensitizes the sinus tissues.It is not addictive and not a steroid - just acts like one. I used to need this or a similar medicine twice daily in Seattle. Now I use it a few times per week.

But, as already suggested, the best advice is to find an allergist. They may run tests on you or just offer some meds for the symptoms. It will be up to your budget and situation.

I get allergies about 2 times per year. I don't know if it's something in the air or what. Each one lasts about 3 days. So bad that I feel like cutting my nose off. Then it goes away and everything is fine. 

• Like 2

Howard
Posted
Posted
On 2/23/2020 at 9:51 AM, Tommy T. said:

I just realized I did not give you price for the Verlix (Zyrtec). They run about P27-29 each.

I been taking the Zyrtec off and on for many years too Tom. Back in Pennsylvania I knew exactly what was going to trigger the allergies, pine trees, Spring time and tree pollen. Here it's a lot better and sometimes, like recently I don't have to take the Zyrtec for months. I really don't know what triggers my allergies here though, but I'm guessing it's the smog and exhaust of Metro Manila because if we get out and about for an all day trip I seem to have issues for a couple days after. Couple years back we went to Baguio and as much as the cool weather was nice I couldn't wait to get out of there. If you are close to Watson's you can get their generic ceterizine which I've been using here for years for a lot less, it's P10 per pill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Sorry you are a fellow sufferer, Howard. But thanks for the heads up on ceterizine. I will tell L about that and we will pick some up.

I take it occasionally for the times when the nose spray doesn't do the job, but L takes it more often and mostly for body allergies.

Normally I hate Watsons... It seems like most times I go there - and it doesn't seem to matter which store here - whatever I seek I get the, "Oh sorry.... Out of stock," with first the patented sad face followed by happy face when I walk away... But sometimes they surprise me in a good way and actually have what I seek. So this is good news.

Anyway, there are at least six for me to choose from within 2-3 kms of here and two are almost walking distance (when I don't feel lazy).

• Like 2