Allergies

jimeve
Posted
Posted

A little off topic, I was cutting back the branches of a tree 'Talisay' and throwing the leaves and branches. I noticed my skin was itching and small lumps appeared, also noticed on my skin looked like a tic.

All night I was itching still itching now, bought some Zinc Oxide  Calamine lotion. Next time I will let the locals cut the trees.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
On 2/23/2020 at 11:00 AM, Heeb said:

is kicking my restless leg syndrome into overdrive.

That's something I also suffer from Heeb, drives me crazy at times.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

That's something I also suffer from Heeb, drives me crazy at times.

It really bothers me on long flights.

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I find in Makati where I live I have no issues at all but EVERY time i travel to provinces I end of sneezing endlessly... hapened on many trips.. not sure if its unclean aircons, fans blowing, or just a lot more dust in the air. I take Neozep and if that doesnt work then Zytec but I wish I could find a less chemical way of stopping this. Just back from 4 weeks in Bantayan and probably spent 10 days out of 28 sneezing sneezing. Using a touch of vaseline in the nose seems to help but doesnt entirely stop the sneezing.

• Like 2

Howard
Posted
Posted

I usually try the Vicks inhaler before resorting to the Zyrtec. Most of the time it will unclog my sinuses and I won't take the med's.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Ginger
Posted
Posted

Hi. I came here after trying to google what on earth might be causing my allergic conjunctivitis for the past 3 weeks. I live not far south of Manila, working at an international grad school. Eyes are terribly itchy, puffy/wrinkled, and watery. Doc on campus thought it might be the Narra trees, which are in bloom now. Maybe so, but I can't find much online that indicates that they cause what I'm experiencing. 

I'm currently taking Zyrtec and Zantac, and opatidine (antihistamine) eyedrops as well. Not having any side effects from the meds, but they also don't seem to give a lot of relief. 

Thanks for what you all have posted here. Not sure what else I can do, but I thought I'd add to the discussion, along with a sad photo of the eyes, which don't usually sport wrinkles or bags in any notable measure. I've thought of contacting my doc back in California, but am not sure if she could shed any further light on the topic, especially as the Philippines may or may not have similar meds to those in the U.S.

3A4C6254-6287-4D31-99E4-01FC82690F4B_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I don't want to worry you but non-responsive conjunctivitis has been identified as a potential COVID-19 symptom, do you have other cold or flu like symptoms?

https://www.aao.org/headline/alert-important-coronavirus-context

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ginger said:

Hi. I came here after trying to google what on earth might be causing my allergic conjunctivitis for the past 3 weeks. I live not far south of Manila, working at an international grad school. Eyes are terribly itchy, puffy/wrinkled, and watery. Doc on campus thought it might be the Narra trees, which are in bloom now. Maybe so, but I can't find much online that indicates that they cause what I'm experiencing. 

I'm currently taking Zyrtec and Zantac, and opatidine (antihistamine) eyedrops as well. Not having any side effects from the meds, but they also don't seem to give a lot of relief. 

Thanks for what you all have posted here. Not sure what else I can do, but I thought I'd add to the discussion, along with a sad photo of the eyes, which don't usually sport wrinkles or bags in any notable measure. I've thought of contacting my doc back in California, but am not sure if she could shed any further light on the topic, especially as the Philippines may or may not have similar meds to those in the U.S.

I've had the same problem, I was rubbing my eyes with my fingers constantly which only made it worse but I couldn't stop, it started in January. I did a round of antibiotics which seemed to get rid of it for awhile but it came back, my wife has some allergy drops (Olopatadine) but they didn't work for me, Zyrtec and Clariton didn't work either but they do help with the sneezing and runny nose, I bought some Avamys spray (Fluticasone furoate) at mercury drugs which is the same as Flonase stateside and it helps a lot.

Avamys6002PPS0.JPG

Edited by Heeb
  • Like 1

Ginger
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I don't want to worry you but non-responsive conjunctivitis has been identified as a potential COVID-19 symptom, do you have other cold or flu like symptoms?

https://www.aao.org/headline/alert-important-coronavirus-context

Thanks, Geoff. Very interesting. I've not had a shred of any other symptom, no respiratory issues, no headaches, no fever. You had me worried for a minute there, as I would hate to be a carrier. However, your website seems to indicate that at least the respiratory difficulties and fever would accompany conjunctivitis with COVID-19. And I've had this steadily for 3 weeks, with the eye itchiness worsening when I'm outside walking near flowering trees, so it's acting like an allergic reaction.

• Like 2

Ginger
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Heeb said:

I've had the same problem, I was rubbing my eyes with my fingers constantly which only made it worse but I couldn't stop, it started in January. I did a round of antibiotics which seemed to get rid of it for awhile but it came back, my wife has some allergy drops (Olopatadine) but they didn't work for me, Zyrtec and Clariton didn't work either but they do help with the sneezing and runny nose, I bought some Avamys spray (Fluticasone furoate) at mercury drugs which is the same as Flonase stateside and it helps a lot.

Thanks for that tip and the photo of the meds, Heeb. I'll see if I might be able to procure some of this spray and give it a try. I expect to live in the Philippines for around 10 years, so I'd like to figure out how to get through these times of tree blooming on our campus in a less dramatic way. Input much appreciated.