Allergies

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 2/23/2020 at 3:27 PM, GeoffH said:

I use Visine that I buy in Australia (I'm here every few months), I'm not sure if it's available in the Philippines but there may be a product with similar ingredients?  It works fairly well but it does sting a bit when you first put the drops in.  I don't use it a lot so a couple of bottles does me a while.

visine.jpg

On 4/1/2020 at 11:57 AM, Ginger said:

Hi. I came here after trying to google what on earth might be causing my allergic conjunctivitis for the past 3 weeks. I live not far south of Manila, working at an international grad school. Eyes are terribly itchy, puffy/wrinkled, and watery. Doc on campus thought it might be the Narra trees, which are in bloom now. Maybe so, but I can't find much online that indicates that they cause what I'm experiencing. 

I'm currently taking Zyrtec and Zantac, and opatidine (antihistamine) eyedrops as well. Not having any side effects from the meds, but they also don't seem to give a lot of relief. 

Thanks for what you all have posted here. Not sure what else I can do, but I thought I'd add to the discussion, along with a sad photo of the eyes, which don't usually sport wrinkles or bags in any notable measure. I've thought of contacting my doc back in California, but am not sure if she could shed any further light on the topic, especially as the Philippines may or may not have similar meds to those in the U.S.

3A4C6254-6287-4D31-99E4-01FC82690F4B_1_201_a.jpeg

I have been having itchy/watery eyes again now for about 2 weeks. I wake up with sticky goo in my eyes from them oozing over night. So I have been using my allergy eye drops again.

I haven't run out of my USA stash, but it is getting low. So, today while out shopping for us, L picked up a bottle of some eye drops at Watsons.

Eye Drops.jpg

This has one of the two ingredients listed on my USA drops and also what is listed on Geoff's Ozzie drops, namely: naphazolene hydrochloride. But this does NOT contain the other ingredient called pheneramine maleate.

I have not tried it yet, but may do tomorrow to see how it compares to the current stuff. It is a tiny bottle (like so many meds here) and runs P230 @ Watson's. I am sure someone can find a better deal somewhere else or online. And I think Mike J also mentioned he ships a load of eye drops here too? Anyway...just thought I'd pass it on.

• Thanks 1

Ginger
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Tommy. So far a prescription for Avamys seemed to work the best, supplemented by antihistamine eyedrops. But... I finally got it was as the Narra trees were starting to be done blooming, so who's to know if the Avamys worked, or the irritants died down.. And the trees are totally done with their bloom now, but I'm still having some lesser eye irritation with darkened skin, wrinkles, and some itchiness. So maybe I've been blaming the wrong thing. We're all spending a lot more time online--particularly in jobs like mine with meetings and teaching--and it's possible all the screen time exacerbates it, but I still don't think that's the culprit.

Once I can travel back to the U.S. with a guarantee that I can get back into the Philippines, I'll head over there on my [delayed] annual leave, and consult with my optometrist.

Really appreciate the help from everyone in this forum.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I use Visine that I buy in Australia (I'm here every few months), I'm not sure if it's available in the Philippines but there may be a product with similar ingredients?  It works fairly well but it does sting a bit when you first put the drops in.  I don't use it a lot so a couple of bottles does me a while.

I tried the Philippine eye drops last night and today and they seem to do the job okay. Interestingly, they don't sting when first applied nearly as much as the USA drops. I wonder if it is because of the one missing active ingredient?

Anyway... thought I would give you a report. I will continue with this new stuff when the old is done.

18 hours ago, Ginger said:

consult with my optometrist.

Always the best plan.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I tried the Philippine eye drops last night and today and they seem to do the job okay. Interestingly, they don't sting when first applied nearly as much as the USA drops. I wonder if it is because of the one missing active ingredient?

No its because of the added water :mocking:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2