tricycle rant

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

These days I beep the hell out of that horn, even if someone just LOOKS like they are thinking of doing something crazy.  

Then maybe you should just put a siren on your car because they always look like they are about to do something crazy.:hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Then maybe you should just put a siren on your car because they always look like they are about to do something crazy.:hystery:

Years ago we had a member who added lights and siren to his car. :omg:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Old55 said:

So that begs the question: "Did it work?" Actually also a second question: "Did he survive?"

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I would appreciate some insight into the mind of the tricyclist

15 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

They are  1) often vastly slower, 2) often have old ladies or children inside, and 3) can be seen to exercise risky behavior like turning left from the right lane, or doing a U-turn with no turn signal.

Marvin, IMHO you have put your finger on the main problem in Filipino society as a whole. 

This is a very, very friendly nation with very, very friendly people. As long as something does not inconvenience them.  Then its every man for himself.

If a trike or pedicab wants to turn left, they will travel for kilometers in the fast lane because it is a pain to change lanes or wait for a break in traffic. Speeding in a counter flow lane to beat a red light instead of waiting the 90 seconds for the next green light. 

The examples of selfish personal behavior are endless on the forum. 

In my view, and how I keep my sanity at times I just try to keep in mind that the priority of individual Filipinos. Self, family, batchmates, work batchmates, work and then society as a whole. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

So that begs the question: "Did it work?" Actually also a second question: "Did he survive?"

As I remember it he passed away some time ago.

I doubt it was very effective. You've seen how Filipinos react to emergency vehicles. I think it was more of an ego thing for him.

• Sad 1

BC57
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Heeb said:

I think a lot of people take a trike when the destination is well within walking distance, people here don't like to walk.

It's simple, the police for the most part don't enforce anything and everyone knows this so they don't care about following the laws/rules, and or safety.

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

That's illegal to have now.:smile:

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

There has been a recent move with the local government in Cebu, to ban tricycles from main public highways..  They are deemed unsafe for passengers and a traffic hazard and slowdown it has been determined.  Yet to be ironed out, but in the works I guess.  I read that tricycle and tricycad drivers had not been allowed to ply public roads, but the drivers could just not make a living from the fares on the secondary roads. Time will tell.

Today the National Federation of Tricycle Drivers Association of the Philippines states that their drivers want a designated lane on the outer right side on both lanes. Complaints about bicyclists' getting their own lane, and a better preference on main roads were expressed.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

FIL is a tricycle owner and I have to shut my eyes when I go with him, it’s amazing how he just seems to go and next minute eyes open and we are there, it can be fun sometimes but fumes , bent double to get in and sometimes getting out is worst , I would rather walk .

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

National Federation of Tricycle Drivers Association of the Philippines states that their drivers want a designated lane on the outer right side on both lanes.

It would amaze me if the tricycles stayed in that lane and the other traffic stayed out of it.  Miracles happen I guess.  In cities like Dumaguete there are no taxis or Grabs available so if you have no car and want to go shopping for more than one grocery bag full then the ONLY choice is to take a tricycle.  I am glad I will not be here when and if that fiasco starts.

• Like 4