tricycle rant

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It would amaze me if the tricycles stayed in that lane and the other traffic stayed out of it.  Miracles happen I guess.  In cities like Dumaguete there are no taxis or Grabs available so if you have no car and want to go shopping for more than one grocery bag full then the ONLY choice is to take a tricycle.  I am glad I will not be here when and if that fiasco starts.

It's true Dave.. I wasn't even aware that bicyclists already had a desigated lane!?  Sometimes when driving in to the city on a sunday, there are so many bicyclists that often at times attempt to join the main lane. I know that they're just trying to get some exercise, but they can be a hazard too. So little space for vehicles of every size and ilk and all going at different speeds.. Sometimes I feel like we're in a Mad Max movie.:shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

In Ilo, the tricycles for hire are supposedly restricted to their barangays.  But that leaves personal tricycles as a hazard everywhere else, even on the national road and circumference road.  Recently there is a traffic enforcement crackdown along one of our major corridors, Diversion Road.  It has been pointed out that some tricycles have permits for various roads from back when they were just city streets, and that some of the major roads must be crossed when traveling between barangays.

I would be happy if they impounded every tricycle without functional lights / turn signals, but I doubt that will ever happen.  It would also be an improvement if they were limited to the side access roads when available, but that would be too logical. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It would amaze me if the tricycles stayed in that lane and the other traffic stayed out of it.  Miracles happen I guess.  In cities like Dumaguete there are no taxis or Grabs available so if you have no car and want to go shopping for more than one grocery bag full then the ONLY choice is to take a tricycle.  I am glad I will not be here when and if that fiasco starts.

Why no taxis? :89:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I have been told it is due to the "tricycle mafia" so it they could be eliminated we might see taxis.  I wonder

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Marvin Boggs said:

In Ilo, the tricycles for hire are supposedly restricted to their barangays.  But that leaves personal tricycles as a hazard everywhere else, even on the national road and circumference road.  Recently there is a traffic enforcement crackdown along one of our major corridors, Diversion Road.  It has been pointed out that some tricycles have permits for various roads from back when they were just city streets, and that some of the major roads must be crossed when traveling between barangays.

I would be happy if they impounded every tricycle without functional lights / turn signals, but I doubt that will ever happen.  It would also be an improvement if they were limited to the side access roads when available, but that would be too logical. 

I'm in Iloilo.  I use taxis, jeepneys, tricycles and tricicads frequently as I don't drive in the mayhem.  Anything which is done to reign them in will result in issues elsewhere.  They provide an invaluable service to the community and are no better/worse in terms of road behaviour than any other road users, including pedestrians and cars.  In simple terms, the law of the jungle applies on the road, with the hierarchy based on size. The smaller beasts have to use whatever means they have to balance up the fight. 

• Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

In CDO where our house is there are taxis but you have to take a tricycle (unless you drive or ride a motorbike there, it's too far to walk) going through the subdivisions to the taxi rank and jeepney terminal at the main highway.

On the other hand If you fly into Labo airport (Ozamiz City Airport) where a lot of SWMBO family live then you're either picked up by someone who owns a car or you take a tricycle, there aren't really any other options.  The 3rd class city (population about 130,000) has no taxis and the few jeepneys are strictly used for travel between outlying areas and the main city.

The franchise of tricycles there is a big deal and without taxis the riders can actually make a living (not a big wage but by the standards of the area an ok living), taxis trying to push into that would get a lot of resistence from the locals I reckon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

'In my bubble I will do whatever I want, whenever I want. It is your problem to deal with it.'

Situationally unaware. Spatially challenged. Bubblefied. Brain dead. I'm building a theasarus.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
Just now, JDDavao said:

Situationally unaware. Spatially challenged. Bubblefied. Brain dead. I'm building a theasarus.

Directionally challenged :mocking:

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

No respect given, none returned.

I disagree. I believe it's a cultural mindset. Many of us, I know Americans at least, had to study manuals before getting a license to drive. Those manuals - and the filmstrips in Driver's Education classes in school - emphasized driver courtesy. "Get along to get there," type stuff.

I don't know if there's a manual here but if courtesy is mentioned in it, it goes about as far as the rest of the driving laws do. It's probably more complicated than just that, having to do with operating in a bubble, being "first", and more.

I mean, driving on the topic's shoulder here ( :huh: ), I was cut off walking into the mall two days ago. As a gentleman trained from birth, I always let my wife walk into buildings before me. This girl actually sped up and cut between my wife and I to get into the mall. I wanted to smack her in the back of the head and shout, "What'samattayou!?" But we can't do that. :smile: I now return the conversation to the roadway under sober direction.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, scott h said:

In my view, and how I keep my sanity at times I just try to keep in mind that the priority of individual Filipinos. Self, family, batchmates, work batchmates, work and then society as a whole. 

Scott, you did not mention "money." I think oft times they put that above everything except self?:whistling:

• Haha 1