tricycle rant

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Ah, the tricycle, where did this bastard of a thing originate from? I was told China?

In previous posts it was mentioned that no respect given to them, so none from them in return, sounds fair enough.

So what about the drivers of the cars in this country, where in Daet the other day a motorist was driving against the flow of traffic, but she has her hazard lights flashing, so that's ok, but there is worse out there and as someone mentioned in another post, wait till the numbers multiply ten fold out in the provinces, I definitely will be staying home.

Still on subject, a couple of weekends ago my partner and I were having breakfast at the Golden arches and we noticed that there were police all over the place, handing out tickets to people illegally parking, so begged the question why all of a sudden is this happening?

My question was answered the other day from a friend who owns a restaurant, who got fined for overstaying, and it goes like this:-

There is a new chief of police in town and he has been directed to clean up the place, the cars and tricycles parking wherever they want and how long they want, and it just so happens coincides with DU2's policy of build, build, build and the local government has been given the amount required from them to help with this program, so you guessed it, what is the easiest way to earn revenue no matter what country you are from, apart from the smokers and the drinkers, of course the motorists.

As usual they are falling short in the common sense department of actually enforcing the road rules, or any hint of any road rules, the police just stand there on both sides of the road, pulling over motorcycles and tricycles and inspect their paperwork and of course if their not wearing a helmet. One always know when they are there because you see all these two wheeled and three wheeled things doing U TURNS all of a sudden and heading back to where they came from. So while they are busy doing this revenue raising all motorists speeding, overtaking on curves, overtaking on double lines, the list goes on, so I will stop it there.

I am heading out tomorrow for a break, I already have had a break for a couple of days in Puerto Gallera, where the people are more friendly than where I stay in Camarines Norte, and life is a bit more pleasant, I suppose because they have some money rather than the dirt poor people.

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted (edited)

Tommy had asked for a picture of a Tuk Tuk.  I gather these originated in Italy way back, made by Ape.  But at some point they were copied and produced in India, and I think are now the most common vehicle on earth (or some such claim).  The most common brand now seems to be Bajaj, which is incidentally the same brand motorcycle you see everywhere in PH.  

The "Bajaj RE" comes in several configurations.  You can get them with doors, or with a pickup bed, etc.  If I were in some position of authority, I'd look for ways to incentivize these little things to replace tricycles.  Cost is about 200K new, compared to 70K for a new tricycle.  I've seen the Tuk Tuk's used for under 100.  

tuk-tuk.jpg

Edited by Marvin Boggs

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Tommy had asked for a picture of a Tuk Tuk.  I gather these originated in Italy way back, made by Ape.  But at some point they were copied and produced in India, and I think are now the most common vehicle on earth (or some such claim).  The most common brand now seems to be Bajaj, which is incidentally the same brand motorcycle you see everywhere in PH.  

The "Bajaj RE" comes in several configurations.  You can get them with doors, or with a pickup bed, etc.  If I were in some position of authority, I'd look for ways to incentivize these little things to replace tricycles.  Cost is about 200K new, compared to 70K for a new tricycle.  I've seen the Tuk Tuk's used for under 100.  

Yup... These are exactly what predominates over in Davao Oriental. We were there a couple weeks ago and I would guess that 8 or even 9 out of ten 3-wheelers were these things from Mati almost to Tagum. They were everywhere and, Marvin, sorry to say, many of them were driving similar to how the tricycle drivers drive here in Davao slow in the left lane always, right turn from left lane, left turn from the rare times in the right lane, U-turns on the highway. And most were overloaded with 4 to six passengers (or more) plus belongings.

But they sure look like a good idea and more secure, safer and drier for passengers and driver than a regular tricycle. Also, many of them ran on the highway at 60-70km/hour or more - lots faster than the tricycles that can only make 20 km/hour because of bent frames, wobbly wheels, bad chassis (cheaply made) and other ailments.

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Also they are narrower, because the driver sits in the middle.  So theoretically in a jam packed little street, they should cause less congestion.  

Funny what you mention there about the bad manners persist:shooter:

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I think part of the problem is that until recently only the rich could afford cars here, in the 80's I remember there were very few cars, mostly taxis in Manila and that was it, the tariffs of 300% kept the middle class from buying. When Auto manufactures started putting plants here in the Phil. car prices went down and now we have a problem because a lot of people still rely on trikes and jeepneys, the infrastructure wasn't built with the car in mind. You take a look at the city of Olongapo which is like most cities here and people don't even have a space to park a car and they aren't living on a jeepney route so they rely on the trike. I think banning them on the highways is a good idea but it's never enforced when they do.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm in Iloilo.  I use taxis, jeepneys, tricycles and tricicads frequently as I don't drive in the mayhem.  

I consider driving in IloIlo a pleasure after Bacolod, Dumaguete and Cebu. 

Wonder if its just me, Dumaguete due to sheer number of kids on motor cycles is crazy.

• Like 2

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Dumaguete is indeed crazy for its size.  Iloilo city proper can be as choked as Bacolod at times, but the outer lying areas seem much better.  One thing I noticed in Cebu (as bad as it was), at least the Jeepney's there seem to be based on the little Suzuki kei-vans, aka Multicab.  These are a lot narrower than the full-width Jeepney's in Ilo and elsewhere, making them much easier to pass.  Must be awful to ride in though. 

RBM
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Dumaguete is indeed crazy for its size.  Iloilo city proper can be as choked as Bacolod at times, but the outer lying areas seem much better.  One thing I noticed in Cebu (as bad as it was), at least the Jeepney's there seem to be based on the little Suzuki kei-vans, aka Multicab.  These are a lot narrower than the full-width Jeepney's in Ilo and elsewhere, making them much easier to pass.  Must be awful to ride in though. 

Correct, these are my main problem in Bacolod, the jeepneys just don't a sh.....Pull out at any time anywhere, same when a passenger is spotted.  If these were removed driving would be quite enjoyable.

Very noticeable to us is the courtesy of drivers in IloIlo,  compared to Bacolod, personally experienced many slowing down and even stopping when people crossing on a pedestrian crossing.  This I experienced several times when walking , NEVER EVER in Bacolod.

My experience in IloIlo is most confined to the uptown area, guess different down town.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, RBM said:

I consider driving in IloIlo a pleasure after Bacolod, Dumaguete and Cebu. 

Wonder if its just me, Dumaguete due to sheer number of kids on motor cycles is crazy.

I agree, those kids on motorbikes make Dumaguete City feel like the Capital of motor scooters of the world. And trying to park your car is a nightmare for the bikes have parked in a place designated for cars. grrrrrr

jimeve
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Must be awful to ride in though. 

They are, rode in many before I got a car. I paid double to have a seat next to the driver as that seat was for two people and I took two seats :biggrin: 

• Haha 1