Life as a expat

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

I was referring to family members killing other family members which I think Steve was alluding to rather than people being murdered by someone they know.  

Sadly it has been known for Expats to have been assassinated by family members and indeed in some cases their deaths being arranged by GF's or wife's!

Thank goodness not very often, hope that clears things up, perhaps time to drop the subject.......... Respectfully JB

• Sad 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Sadly it has been known for Expats to have been assassinated by family members and indeed in some cases their deaths being arranged by GF's or wife's!

Thank goodness not very often, hope that clears things up, perhaps time to drop the subject.......... Respectfully JB

You might be referring to the several cases that I read about that happened years ago in Angeles city. Trust me. No wife or GF. will have their husband assassinated while they are still drawing a pension.:laugh:

• Hmm thinking 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Trust me. No wife or GF. will have their husband assassinated while they are still drawing a pension.:laugh:

You'd be wrong on that.  A Filipina married to an American with 3 kids can live quite well with her "driver" and the money the US gives her for raising the kids.  No need for the old man to still hang around.

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 2

Jack D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

you will find the most joy in being a tourist and not an expat. 

Yeah, my Filipina wife always tells me that the fun.JPGslogan is directed at tourists and it doesn't always apply to expats. 

• Haha 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack D said:

Yeah, my Filipina wife always tells me that the fun.JPGslogan is directed at tourists and it doesn't always apply to expats. 

I wish this forum offered another choice for "like, laugh, sad, etc." Actually, maybe two or more additional choices. So That we could choose "laugh/cry" in one icon? Or "like/sad" in another?

There have been many times - such as this one - where I really want to say "laugh/sad" at the same time... So there... I guess I just said that here...

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

Steve, it could be that you will find the most joy in being a tourist and not an expat. 

Very true , there has to be so many changers that would be impossible to make from the family over in the Philippines plus they would not compromise on other things too, plus I would have to compromise too.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jack D said:

my Filipina wife always tells me that the fun.JPGslogan is directed at tourists and it doesn't always apply to expats. 

Yeah, especially the married ones who are monitored closely. :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You'd be wrong on that.  A Filipina married to an American with 3 kids can live quite well with her "driver" and the money the US gives her for raising the kids.  No need for the old man to still hang around.

Didn't think about that way. Makes sense.:mellow:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It would be more difficult with an Australian dead husband, the government doesn't give citizenship (or dual citizenship) to children of citizens born overseas automatically and hence payments wouldn't apply.  Citizenship by descent has to be applied for and it costs money, takes a while and isn't guaranteed in outcome.  And that's if an overseas ex wife even knew about the process which is online and a fairly complicated.

• Like 1