8 days in Siargao Island

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 2/29/2020 at 5:42 PM, Arizona Kid said:

Looks like the locals took good care of you. That's what they are paid to do. Open your eyes if you can and see that what you experienced is not reality. You were being entertained..that's all. You had a good time. It's not reality though. If you think for a moment that it's normal..better think again. :sad:  

Trash is a serious problem. Thinking that the locals are friendly because they are being paid to be illustrates a bitter and distorted outlook.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Possibly Tommy--I'm not sure. I'm not sure how much conservation is taught in local schools over time.

My wife and I were allowed to do a 1/2 day presentation at one of the local schools on recycling, composting,  and protecting the environment.   I showed them slides of the US and it had changed from the early fifties until now.  The students concluded the event by digging two pits for composting and cleanup of the entire campus area.  They did a great job of collecting recyclable containers, putting trimmings, leaves etc in the compost pits,  and LEFT THE LITTER AND GARBAGE ON THE GROUND!  I did not know whether to laugh or cry.  Maybe a bit of both.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Well--the little that we do in our little area might make only a small impact, but you never know what one child might take away fro the experience.:smile:  In the past we've had neighbor children planting a few mangrove seedlings too. Some have washed away, but others have held.:smile: Sometimes when you encounter something discouraging, it's an option to try to change it in even a small way..

My own opinion is, change here can only come from the kids, well done Queenie and you well continue on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

Personally I avoid hanging out with locals having a drinking session, from my experience it can turn ugly really fast, sorry if that's a negative outlook but every time I walk by them and they call me over my spidey senses are in full alert, no thanks.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Well AK that may or may not be the case, but we're just doing a little towards local awareness, and getting a minuscule amount of trash out of the sea nearby. Reaching the generation before is a tough call. You know that saying--light a candle instead of cursing the darkness.:no:

Very true..well said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Heeb said:

Personally I avoid hanging out with locals having a drinking session, from my experience it can turn ugly really fast, sorry if that's a negative outlook but every time I walk by them and they call me over my spidey senses are in full alert, no thanks.

I wish that more foreigners had the spidey sense that you have. :laugh: 

• Like 1

RichieR
Posted
Posted

I just like to make a positive about Philippines.

I was in Oslob , I came out of a complex, I needed throw some trash, I walked 30 metres down the street and put it in a trash can, as is normal for me.  A trike driver nearby, yelled at me ' thank you sir, well done! '  I went to chat to him, he said that they were trying to keep the streets clean , I then noticed that there wasn't litter in the area, so its good some people are aware of the problem.

• Like 5

bob1965
Posted
Posted
On 2/28/2020 at 5:45 PM, -A- said:

And then a few started doing that dance you see and they wanted me to join them. Which I did and I did my best to copy that style of dancing I think it even has a name?

Look on YouTube. bisayanghilaw channel....

BUDOTS DANCE COMPILATION

• Like 1