How Filipinos look at foreigners

Balisidar
Posted
Posted (edited)

So I was just thinking that most topics here are from a foreigner point view, naturally.  I wanted to start a topic though, hopefully lighthearted, that will show many times what Filipinos think of Us.😂😁

So I'll relate a couple of stories just to get things started.

Back in 1984/85 when I was stationed at Clark AFB and was dating my wife, I asked her to marry me.  She said Yes (no wisecracks, please😁).  Then I asked her if we could visit her province (Batangas) so that I could meet her family and ask her Dad's permission.  She got kind of a shocked look on her face as this totally surprised her that I would want to do this but agreed.

So we went to her province, met her family and I asked her dad who told me "Hmmm.  So you want to marry my daughter huh?  Ok.  I let her marry you.  If she give you problem you tell me.". 

So we stayed a couple of days and I took my first bucket shower.  They had an outdoor pump so I figured I'd shower there and just wouldn't remove my shorts.  So I merrily asked my wife for some soap and asked her to pump the water for me.  In the meantime, I hadn't noticed that her oldest brother and brother-in-law had taken a seat nearby to watch this 22 year old 'kano take his first bucket shower.  So I was just blithely tossing the water over my back (missing myself half the time) and they were snorting hard not to laugh.  Years later they told me and just about burst themselves laughing.  I did too and my wife was laughing so hard she was crying.😂😂

Next story is quicker.  I was a pretty new Dad and my oldest son came down with a case of stomach worms.  We took him to the doctor and the doctor prescribed some pills.  The next morning my son threw up and I saw these worms, which I thought were Huge!  Well, I went in a rant about how this could happen and how I thought this was such a nasty country and rushed off to take the worms to the doctor, who calmly explained how this was a normal parasite here.  My wife's younger brother was staying with us at the time and after I had left to see the doctor, asked my wife what was all the fuss about? They're just worms.  My wife just shrugged and said        " You know how Americans are..."😂

Edited by Balisidar
Clarity, spelling.
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I think on the whole the Philippines is quite xenophobic, they like our money though, The generous visa allowances are really no more than a revenue stream. The poorer members of society can be jealous of our perceived wealth and the well off have very little to do with foreigners.

• Like 4

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I think on the whole the Philippines is quite xenophobic, they like our money though, The generous visa allowances are really no more than a revenue stream. The poorer members of society can be jealous of our perceived wealth and the well off have very little to do with foreigners.

I don't think your quite into the spirit of what I'm trying to discuss here.  I hope this doesn't develop into a bash session.  Definitely not my intention.😁😁

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Balisidar said:

I hope this doesn't develop into a bash session. 

bet you 5 pesos it will :hystery:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

My PH family here regards me I think with a sense of amusement.  Loving amusement.  Why does it take him so long to get his feet in the slippers, why does he eat his rice separate from his meat, why doesn't he know all these karaoke songs, etc.  On the other hand, they seem to think whatever I push to do must be a good idea, almost by default.  "So THAT's the way Puti does things...."  

• Like 3

Jack D
Posted
Posted

I found out that many Filipinos were brainwashed (probably by the Spaniards) to believe that they are inferior to Westerners. So, as a result, they will either look up to you as a superior or in some some cases, they will resent you, and there is very little (or nothing at all) that you can do to change their mindsets.

• Like 5

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I was a daytime janitor at a (now famous) Seattle tech firm, I had a young FOB (Fresh Off the Boat) Filipino guy  come on to take over part of the building.

We were talking one day and he asked me, "Why do you do this?"

"What do you mean?"

"I understand why I do this and I understand why the blacks do this but you're white. Why are you a janitor?" :huh:

Edited by JDDavao
  • Haha 3

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Cell phones and the internet have definitely changed their view.... 40 years ago they thought most were rich... now... not so impressed.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...