Where do you live

stevewool
Posted
Posted

You have found the love of your life now it’s finding the place you both would like to call home, so have you moved to the place your partner was born or has live in for so many years and has got to know the area well, or have you both moved to a new place far away from anything she new before but are still in the Philippines and have both worked hard to make the new place home .

Was there any teething problems like a new language, don’t know any people/friends, missing the old neighbourhood for your partner and maybe for you too.

• Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

SWMBO prefers to be in Bisaya speaking areas and somewhere where some of her family are near.  In her case that means Ozamiz (in the red area so don't really want to live there) or several hours drive south of Cebu (which is pretty but the towns are small and lack good hospitals and no malls) or Cagayan De Oro (which isn't perfect by any means and it is in the yellow area) but it does have a few decent hospitals, a few large malls, a reasonable airport with regular flights and shops with most things available.   I get along with most of the family in CDO too and the ones here almost all work which isn't necessarily the case in the other two areas.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

We live in Iloilo, my wife is from Antique (the other side of the mountains). I tried out in the province and could not make it there. Total boredom, way too loud, and a 2 hour bus ride to the nearest grocery store.  Here in Iloilo we are on a family compound, with aunts, uncles, and cousins. She is ok with it, but has made it clear that when I am dead (no hurry on my part) she will go back to the family land in the province. Makes it easy, because there is no reason to buy a place or build anything large. Neither one us speaks Ilonggo, but that is not a big problem (she speaks a little, I speak just enough to ride a jeepney).

Five years ago my old job wanted me to come back and I offered her to move to the US for a while. She could get a job to send money back if she wanted, could get into the Social Security system, and get a nice American passport. She had no interest in that, so we stayed here (which I preferred anyway).

Edited by Tukaram (Tim)
  • Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

My wife is a bit of a Heinz 47. Her father was in the military and when she was born was stationed in General Trias Cavite. Her farther and his family are from the Dumageute area where she was brought up but her mother is from Baybay Leyte. The family moved back to Luzon about 30 years ago to live on the grandfather's land. That's basically where we live with the mother in law and siblings. Negros would be out if the question as they woukd be the family from hell. Leyte I've visted a couple of time but not a likely option. UK, she spent 23 years there and we plan to spend the summers there.

• Like 3

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Gary D said:

My wife is a bit of a Heinz 47

What happened to the other 10? 

:89:

• Haha 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

We live in Daet, Camarines Norte, the birthplace of my partner and her 7 other siblings, of which 4 are still there.

I would never even think for a minute of taking her out of the country, as she like others in the Philippines are very family orientated, life is family to them.

I thought I would adjust very easily into living in the Philippines as being ex military and then working offshore I thought I could adapt to anything, anywhere, how gnikcuf wrong was I.

Currently I am back in Australia for some medicals from the governments purse, and have been driving around heavy traffic in Melbourne for the last week, and doing a lot of walking in the streets to get to different appointments. So anyone reading this would probably realise how I feel at the end of the day of doing these appointments

I don't have to rush inside where I am staying and drink half a dozen beers to settle my nerves, don't have to update my will and don't kick the dog.

Imagine a place where there is not one tricycle, where drivers stop for you when crossing the road at a zebra crossing, I could go on and on and on, but I wont. Yes I dekcuF up big time.

• Like 3