Where do you live

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Pedestrian crossings, double lines painted on the road, road signs, they are all just a waste of good paint.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

My mom once said to me "son you're bloody superman" ...and she wasn't referring to my physical prowess. I've been living here in Subic Freeport for almost 5 months now with my 90lbs of kryptonite, who I've been married to for 30 years. It's nice enough here but not like when I was stationed here in the 80's, no softball or basketball leagues, the baseball fields and bball gyms are all gone replaced with hotels and Korean storefronts, we moved here for the familiarity and the proximity to the ocean but it costs around 600p per head to go to the beach here, what used to be free, if it wasn't free though I imagine they would be trashed. I'm tired of lager beer, I drank the hell out of SM when I was young and was happy with it but my beer tastes have evolved with the beer scene in Washington so vast with choices, I like my hoppy ales or the occasional bourbon barrel aged stout if I feel like it, nothing but lagers here. I have a batch of homebrew in the fermentor, I brought enough grain for four 5 gallon batches. I think maybe Angeles might have been a better choice as I think they have a few places that serve craft beer and maybe a couple of breweries, this is definitely a good place here in Subic for a family I think. I miss my friends for sure, miss the motorcycle rides, I bought one here but have nowhere to go and no one to ride with, and how do I put my foot down and tell the wife I'm flying back stateside for a motorcycle trip to Nova Scotia with my friends, why am I afraid of her, am I P' whipped AZ?

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I live in the jungle amongst the biggest Mozzies on this planet got bite loads of times despite covering my body with off. Over 3 years here now diagnosed with Dengue into day 3 feeling loss of appetite and the bloody dogs barking all night. I really need to sell up or rent out this house and live in a quieter place, suppose they will be mozzies everywhere over here.

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I live in the jungle amongst the biggest Mozzies on this planet got bite loads of times despite covering my body with off. Over 3 years here now diagnosed with Dengue into day 3 feeling loss of appetite and the bloody dogs barking all night. I really need to sell up or rent out this house and live in a quieter place, suppose they will be mozzies everywhere over here.

Do you mean you have Dengue now, Jim? That's nasty! I had a mate in Hong Kong who caught it and he was advised that if he were to catch it a 2nd time it could be much more problematic to treat.  

As for mozzies, yep, they are probably everywhere but less so in some areas than others.  My wife's family are out in the sticks and there are a fair few there whereas I'm in a less rural place and we have a few but nothing like as many.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Do you mean you have Dengue now, Jim? That's nasty! I had a mate in Hong Kong who caught it and he was advised that if he were to catch it a 2nd time it could be much more problematic to treat.  

I may be wrong about this, HK, but my understanding is that once someone contracts dengue, that person then carries immunity. However, there are several versions of dengue out there and the individual would only be immune to the version he got.

I had it once and it was a bit nasty but not so bad... mainly rashes and skin irritation accompanied with fever and headache.

The one to be most wary about is the type that mainly attacks the brain and is considered to be a type of hemorrhagic fever and can be deadly.

49 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Sounds to me like it's time to move soon after you are healed Jim... Sorry that the noise and mozzies are driving you away. But, if you check around, there are places with fewer than others. I guess you might need to cruise around and test-drive a few different areas - especially after dark when it is mozzie-o'clock. Supposedly it is the mozzie that hangs around indoors during the days that carry the dengue? So perhaps they get in your home to hang out and annoy you?

At any rate, good luck to you and hope you find a better venue and soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

Jim, I reckon that the OFF mosquito repellant is shite, that we need something with DEET as part of the recipe of it, something that works rather than just smells nice. I have tried to get something with DEET in it but there is nothing I can find, so I always bring back military grade repellant from Australia and heaps of it.

Just saying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

We chose Philippines for the same family reason as many of you.  I figured, I'm older and I can take being away from my family if I need to.  But to add to that, I was becoming quite disillusioned with politics and the police state back home.  A subject for other discussions.  Living here has its numerous challenges, made more difficult by the fact we cannot afford to travel much and have not been able to get a US visa.  

I can tell my wife quickly gets used to modern amenities, the western standards such that I am able to provide.  Especially when we stay in nice hotels or travel business class, etc.  Would she be able to adapt to another country?  That is the question.  Staying with me in China for a month she got pretty homesick with no other Pinays around.  What would it be like in the US I wonder?  Her english is outstanding, so there is no issue with language.  But being so far from home may be another matter.  Personally, I think she could do it for a stretch of years, especially if we could visit back to PH once or twice a year. 

roddavis
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I may be wrong about this, HK, but my understanding is that once someone contracts dengue, that person then carries immunity. However, there are several versions of dengue out there and the individual would only be immune to the version he got.

I had it once and it was a bit nasty but not so bad... mainly rashes and skin irritation accompanied with fever and headache.

The one to be most wary about is the type that mainly attacks the brain and is considered to be a type of hemorrhagic fever and can be deadly.

Sounds to me like it's time to move soon after you are healed Jim... Sorry that the noise and mozzies are driving you away. But, if you check around, there are places with fewer than others. I guess you might need to cruise around and test-drive a few different areas - especially after dark when it is mozzie-o'clock. Supposedly it is the mozzie that hangs around indoors during the days that carry the dengue? So perhaps they get in your home to hang out and annoy you?

At any rate, good luck to you and hope you find a better venue and soon!

Thats the one I had(hemorrhagic fever) last Apr 15th. Before the day I passed out, I noticed a red spot on my finger. Didn't look like a Mozzie bite. Well I was out for 2 weeks. Just had bits and pieces of memories. I'm usually a really mellow person. Asawa said I turned into the devil, cursing her out and trying to bite her fingers. I do remember waking up in the hospital fighting with the Dr. They had me tied down to the bed cuz kept pulling the IV's out. I thought I had been kidnapped! Then out again!

Took 4 litres of blood during the bout. Then I woke up and was watching the news and heard today is Apr 30th. So I had lost 2 weeks and $8000.00! My Awawa. what a woman! Wouldn't leave my bedroom. and slept on the floor!  Luckily she knew to call my sisters in the States to arrange finances. So Dengue of that type I guess you usually die from! I had great support! :SugarwareZ-037:

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Yes, Got tested positive at the local Hospital, The Dr said I need to go back every day to monitor my blood, my blood platelets are the same but white blood cells are down. Could take a few weeks to fight this off.

Edit it's day 2 now.

Edited by jimeve
info
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 3/2/2020 at 4:27 PM, GeoffH said:

SWMBO prefers to be in Bisaya speaking areas and somewhere where some of her family are near.  In her case that means Ozamiz (in the red area so don't really want to live there) or several hours drive south of Cebu (which is pretty but the towns are small and lack good hospitals and no malls) or Cagayan De Oro (which isn't perfect by any means and it is in the yellow area) but it does have a few decent hospitals, a few large malls, a reasonable airport with regular flights and shops with most things available.   I get along with most of the family in CDO too and the ones here almost all work which isn't necessarily the case in the other two areas.

Sounds like you found a great place that you feel comfortable with. Good for you. Similar to my situation. Relatives don't ask for anything but I usually give just because I know that they need it.:smile:

• Like 1