Where do you live

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, roddavis said:

Thats the one I had(hemorrhagic fever) last Apr 15th. Before the day I passed out, I noticed a red spot on my finger. Didn't look like a Mozzie bite. Well I was out for 2 weeks. Just had bits and pieces of memories. I'm usually a really mellow person. Asawa said I turned into the devil, cursing her out and trying to bite her fingers. I do remember waking up in the hospital fighting with the Dr. They had me tied down to the bed cuz kept pulling the IV's out. I thought I had been kidnapped! Then out again!

Took 4 litres of blood during the bout. Then I woke up and was watching the news and heard today is Apr 30th. So I had lost 2 weeks and $8000.00! My Awawa. what a woman! Wouldn't leave my bedroom. and slept on the floor!  Luckily she knew to call my sisters in the States to arrange finances. So Dengue of that type I guess you usually die from! I had great support! :SugarwareZ-037:

I don't know what type of Dengue it is but it gave me a splitting headache and a fever like flu virus. I remember the Dr saying it could enlarge the Liver and I must keep hydrated drink electrolyte.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I may be wrong about this, HK, but my understanding is that once someone contracts dengue, that person then carries immunity. However, there are several versions of dengue out there and the individual would only be immune to the version he got.

There are 4 types of Dengue, Tom.  You are correct in saying that immunity to that particular type will occur after infection, but not to the other 3.  If you were to catch it again, but a different type, then you would not be immune to the effects and that is where the higher risk comes - the treatment will be less effective than for the 1st bout.    

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, roddavis said:

My Awawa. what a woman! Wouldn't leave my bedroom. and slept on the floor!  Luckily she knew to call my sisters in the States to arrange finances. So Dengue of that type I guess you usually die from! I had great support! 

That's so good you had your woman to support you. I am sure that made a difference in your recovery. And actually lucky that you survived at all with everything (mind-wise) intact. Intense fevers make me delirious also and even sunburn can do that to me. I have had intense situations like yours with just simple, but high fevers... Hopefully, now you will be immune to another occurrence of that very nasty bug!:smile: 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Jim, I reckon that the OFF mosquito repellant is shite, that we need something with DEET as part of the recipe of it, something that works rather than just smells nice. I have tried to get something with DEET in it but there is nothing I can find, so I always bring back military grade repellant from Australia and heaps of it.

I actually have some 100% DEET lotion that I learned a few years ago should not be used because it would be absorbed through the skin. So I sometimes used it mixed with a bit of baby lotion. It seemed to work okay and I smelled so nice too...hahaha!

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, jimeve said:

I live in the jungle amongst the biggest Mozzies on this planet got bite loads of times despite covering my body with off. Over 3 years here now diagnosed with Dengue into day 3 feeling loss of appetite and the bloody dogs barking all night. I really need to sell up or rent out this house and live in a quieter place, suppose they will be mozzies everywhere over here.

Understand as have been through same. How ever you will bounce back and be all the stronger for it, rest well, keep hydrated.

Dogs  have always been an issue for me as well, where I was spending most time the sub division was obsessed with them, huge noisy animals on short chains day and night.  To complain, well in my case made the situation worse, either ear pugs or move as I have done.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to why it seemingly has no effect on the locals....i mean loud barking day an night?

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, RBM said:

Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to why it seemingly has no effect on the locals....i mean loud barking day an night?

They can turn a blind eye to anything and obviously a deaf ear as well!

Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil...

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

They, and I, consider it normal background noise. We get used to it, like cock-crows, occasional drum group practices and videoke rentals. Most  it gets mentally downgraded and ignored by the nervous system as non-threatening and standard for the environment. Same for the neighbors' radios. After you adapt, it becomes like distant traffic din, playing children, etc.

My sentry dogs always sound off when stray cats, stranger dogs, unknown people are outside the wall/fence. That's why my wife has them and how they earn their keep. Sometimes they join in the neighborhood canine choral baying group in the wee hours, and she stirs awake enough to shout at them by name to shut up,  Her raucous scolds are more injurious to my poor ears than their barks because she is, of course, right beside me in bed. 

No one says its right, good, or desirable to endure the ubiquitous noise pollution here, but you control what you can and just endure or come to accept what you can't. If you can't relocate or buffer the irritations with jungle growth, ear plugs, etc. you'll  just have to adapt and accept..... which is what the locals do. 

We tell outsiders the same thing when they come to the Arctic towns and villages and complain about the dog teams' dog yards.

Last week my 80 year old, German ex-pat beer meet up pal came to whinge about the damn street dog.... continued later.... time for another afternoon beer meet-up. sorry.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

They, and I, consider it normal background noise. We get used to it, like cock-crows, occasional drum group practices and videoke rentals. Most  it gets mentally downgraded and ignored by the nervous system as non-threatening and standard for the environment. Same for the neighbors' radios. After you adapt, it becomes like distant traffic din, playing children, etc.

How long did it take for you to get use to the noise? I suppose if the noise is of a certain dB. I have got used to the Videoke but not the dogs.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

My sentry dogs always sound off when stray cats, stranger dogs, unknown people are outside the wall/fence. That's why my wife has them and how they earn their keep. Sometimes they join in the neighborhood canine choral baying group in the wee hours, and she stirs awake enough to shout at them by name to shut up,  Her raucous scolds are more injurious to my poor ears than their barks because she is, of course, right beside me in bed. 

No one says its right, good, or desirable to endure the ubiquitous noise pollution here, but you control what you can and just endure or come to accept what you can't. If you can't relocate or buffer the irritations with jungle growth, ear plugs, etc. you'll  just have to adapt and accept..... which is what the locals do. 

We tell outsiders the same thing when they come to the Arctic towns and villages and complain about the dog teams' dog yards.

Last week my 80 year old, German ex-pat beer meet up pal came to whinge about the damn street dog.... continued later.... time for another afternoon beer meet-up. sorry.  

I've got a white noise type of thing going. I have a 150 w fan blowing on me at night..almost like a level 1 Typhoon. The sound of the fan is constant and drowns out the rooster sounds and most of the barking dog sounds. It's at the part of my bed where my head is.. maybe an inch away. Best sleep I ever had when I started doing this.:Happy:

• Like 4

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Living on Dauis Panglao Island, Bohol for 2months each year. When the Little Woman joins me in retirement that will be 5 months each year. I think of it as DP Island. Another thing DP can stand for is Double Penetration. :6:

I live in a relatively quiet neighborhood and my top quality house keeps noise out. It's 10 minutes to the important places- nearest mall, beach, and hospital. Life is good. I have more friends here than I do in the US.

This locale is particularly Dengue-prone so one needs to be careful. I try to be inside when the mosquitoes come out at 6PM. A 20% DEET spray works fairly well when I need to be outside very long. The mosquitoes here are smaller than in the US and are nearly impossible to feel before they are finished biting. The bites have nastier itching too.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 4