Where do you live

RBM
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

They, and I, consider it normal background noise. We get used to it, like cock-crows, occasional drum group practices and videoke rentals.

Interesting comments, wonder if you have experienced the wolf type howling at 2am.....one starts and soon after seems like a hundred, I would challenge you strongly to state this is just back ground noise. Its the mail reason i am spending less time in the big luxury house and more time in the condo...peace reigns in Condo.

Sorry Jim getting off topic, wish you a speedy recovery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:
19 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

They, and I, consider it normal background noise. We get used to it, like cock-crows, occasional drum group practices and videoke rentals.

Interesting comments, wonder if you have experienced the wolf type howling at 2am.....one starts and soon after seems like a hundred, I would challenge you strongly to state this is just back ground noise. Its the mail reason i am spending less time in the big luxury house and more time in the condo...peace reigns in Condo.

Sorry Jim getting off topic, wish you a speedy recovery

Thank you for the kind health wishes, RBM.

I do sympathize with your personal circumstances in the matter and realize that we all have different thresholds for life's various irritant's. Especially in the PI where we find the type that we've managed to control or eliminate in our home countries.

Driven from your home of choice by circumstances beyond your control is indeed, a misery I wouldn't wish on any soul. But I am glad you at least have another, more tranquil refuge to retreat to. I do also for the six months I live back in the Far North, which might be why my toleration level is higher while living here. 

I would guess that in most of the places we live there  is a mixture of privately owned and stray/street dogs. Few wealthy locals obedience train their dogs to keep quiet, and they seem to be the noisier ones. Street dogs I always see are only that.... seen but not heard. Quiet and furtive as  they forage for scraps, they set off a din when near the well-fed, kept dogs defending their territory. At least in the local neighborhoods I have lived in here .

Late at night the kept dogs vocally socialize it seems. Maybe they're bored, since they are pack animals. When one howls, it seems to set off a chain reaction, with all in earshot announcing their existence. I don't know the doggie dynamics, but it seems that each wants to get in  the last howl, bark or bay.... so it goes on until they tire of their little game. Kinda like some forum posters.... ha-ha.

Practically all of my ex-pat friends whinge about it. I doubt that many Pinoy do. They seem to accept it as normal and natural and wonder why cranky foreigners get their noses bent out of shape over it.

Case in point.... where I left off about my 80 yr. old Bavarian friend. He shows up at one of our beach front watering holes last week.  Everyone listens sympathetically and I just keep my trap shut don't argue against his sense of aggrieved injustice.  Seems at 2 am, an oddball street dog starts a yapping for whatever reason. My friend is awaken and his ire rises as the dog continues for quiet awhile. Finally he goes out onto the street to throw rocks and he loudly cusses up a 'scheise' storm of verbiage aimed at the dog and maybe anyone else who may be at fault for allowing this auditory assault on his innocent senses.

He goes back in. A short time later he hears a loud  'BANG !'  He gets up again and goes outside his place to find a very large rock beside his metal gate. The gate bears a new dent.

The next morn a tanod (local barangay policeman) is at his house. The neighbors were deeply disturbed by his night time disturbance of the peace and filed a complaint against him. He has to report to the barangay captain.  He is dumbfounded and tries to explain about the disturbing dog,  but is told that the dog is not at fault because it is only doing what dogs do and following its nature. He, on the other hand, can control his actions and nature.... and is therefore responsible for disturbing the peace.

So it goes.....  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

.. but is told that the dog is not at fault because it is only doing what dogs do and following its nature. He, on the other hand, can control his actions and nature.... and is therefore responsible for disturbing the peace.

I'll be controversial - I agree with the above view.  On one hand, I sympathise but people cannot go around throwing rocks etc in the dead of night without some repercussions.  

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted (edited)

Maybe he should have not thrown a rock, but a nice piece of chicken fillet instead, with something inside to shut the dog up, once and for all time.

Edited by Onemore52
  • Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 2

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

Thank you for the kind health wishes, RBM.

I do sympathize with your personal circumstances in the matter and realize that we all have different thresholds for life's various irritant's. Especially in the PI where we find the type that we've managed to control or eliminate in our home countries.

Driven from your home of choice by circumstances beyond your control is indeed, a misery I wouldn't wish on any soul. But I am glad you at least have another, more tranquil refuge to retreat to. I do also for the six months I live back in the Far North, which might be why my toleration level is higher while living here. 

I would guess that in most of the places we live there  is a mixture of privately owned and stray/street dogs. Few wealthy locals obedience train their dogs to keep quiet, and they seem to be the noisier ones. Street dogs I always see are only that.... seen but not heard. Quiet and furtive as  they forage for scraps, they set off a din when near the well-fed, kept dogs defending their territory. At least in the local neighborhoods I have lived in here .

Late at night the kept dogs vocally socialize it seems. Maybe they're bored, since they are pack animals. When one howls, it seems to set off a chain reaction, with all in earshot announcing their existence. I don't know the doggie dynamics, but it seems that each wants to get in  the last howl, bark or bay.... so it goes on until they tire of their little game. Kinda like some forum posters.... ha-ha.

Practically all of my ex-pat friends whinge about it. I doubt that many Pinoy do. They seem to accept it as normal and natural and wonder why cranky foreigners get their noses bent out of shape over it.

Case in point.... where I left off about my 80 yr. old Bavarian friend. He shows up at one of our beach front watering holes last week.  Everyone listens sympathetically and I just keep my trap shut don't argue against his sense of aggrieved injustice.  Seems at 2 am, an oddball street dog starts a yapping for whatever reason. My friend is awaken and his ire rises as the dog continues for quiet awhile. Finally he goes out onto the street to throw rocks and he loudly cusses up a 'scheise' storm of verbiage aimed at the dog and maybe anyone else who may be at fault for allowing this auditory assault on his innocent senses.

He goes back in. A short time later he hears a loud  'BANG !'  He gets up again and goes outside his place to find a very large rock beside his metal gate. The gate bears a new dent.

The next morn a tanod (local barangay policeman) is at his house. The neighbors were deeply disturbed by his night time disturbance of the peace and filed a complaint against him. He has to report to the barangay captain.  He is dumbfounded and tries to explain about the disturbing dog,  but is told that the dog is not at fault because it is only doing what dogs do and following its nature. He, on the other hand, can control his actions and nature.... and is therefore responsible for disturbing the peace.

So it goes.....  

If he threw a rock at my dogs or anywhere near them he'd have a lot more to worry about than a barangay captain:biggrin:.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 3/5/2020 at 11:54 AM, manofthecoldland said:

So it goes.....  

In a way I sympathise with the locals.  I've got a Western neighbour that likes a few beers and live in an area where there are a few dogs.  Every now and then they do their barking and he comes out and screams at the top of his voice for them to shut up.  I accept I've moved to a country with annoying habits for a Westerner but I moved here, they never came to me. I think I've tuned my ears into the Filipino channel. I also think most Filipinos have hearing problems through listening to videoke at full volume all day. 

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Apart from the videoke, I reckon they are deaf from power tools, I offered some ear muffs to some workers at our place, they declined saying they were uncomfortable, at least I tried.

I reckon the dog owners in Australia are the same, they just don’t hear their barking dogs.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

We get one or two dogs kicking off occasionally but when we stayed in an airbnb near he airport in Dumageute just after Christmas there were packs of strays roaming around at night making a hell of a noise. Even the house owner told us to keep the gates shut because of the dog problem. Mind you her little dog was probably the loudest of them all.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Right at this moment, it sounds like a dog kennel here. I can identify at least four different dogs barking incessantly. There's also a rooster or two crowing, but I hardly notice that now.

When in university, I rented a very cheap little cabin about 3 miles off campus - in rural Indiana in the middle of a corn field. It was also located close to a four lane highway - US 30 - and there were train tracks on the other side of the highway. After a while,  I didn't notice the vehicle traffic - except when the biggest trucks passing made my sensitive turntable jump. Trains didn't bother me. But there also were no barking dogs. I can handle continuous noise but it's the intermittent noises that sometimes irritate me. The cop who lived nearby sometimes fired his handgun... now THAT bothered me!

But, as previously said, I chose to live here and can't and don't expect to even suggest that locals change their habits. I will live with it and the new home really is in a - for the time being - quiet area.

And.... now bliss.... all the dogs went quiet... just one rooster and the bozo down the street honking his car horn... so he must be horny?:laugh:

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

I have little respect for fat old blokes who use their dogs as some sort of extension of their worn out macho-man tattoos, to try to intimidate the rest of us mere mortals.   :rolleyes:

Selfish, ignorant, ant-social, and stupid.  

Not impressed. 

• Like 2