Where do you live

sinsinbad
Posted
Posted

I lived on SBMA around 2005, and traffic was regulated then.  I even saw a radar gun being used there.  Someone said that the Navy left it there.

I wouldn't bike except in very light traffic areas.  That is why I was looking at Clark.  Clark is big, and there are some area with very little traffic or use to have when I was there.

Motorcycling I also prefer areas with light traffic.  I have another post on modern cities with nearby beaches without heavy traffic, to get input where I might live when I do return.

Heeb
Posted
Posted
On 6/23/2021 at 2:39 AM, sinsinbad said:

For Heeb, I can't PM, but I wanted to comment about bicycle riding in the PI.

Whenever travel resumes, I plan to return to the PI to live full time.  I say return because I left in 2011 after spending over 5 years in places like SBMA, Dumaguete, and Angeles.

I enjoy bike riding--both motorcycle and bicycle, but the PI is dangerous for both, but more so for bicycles IMO.  I am undecided about where I will live when I return, but Angeles from everything I see on Youtube is becoming an up and coming first class city.  New terminal at airport, trains that will run between Angeles and Manila and also to Subic.  There is also a lot of new construction on Clark and in Angeles itse

That said, Clark might be more safer to ride a bicycle.  I would like to bring mine, but not sure how hard or expensive it would be.

I brought a bike back with me when I traveled last year. Most airlines will allow you to bring a bike and it’s counted as one piece of luggage. I went to REI and asked them for a bicycle box and they gave me one but it was pretty big so I decided in the end to buy a bicycle travel case. It was expensive but worth it when I was rolling it around LAX waiting for my flight. I had no problem with United or PAL.

I sent a pic of the case.

image.jpeg

Heeb
Posted
Posted
On 6/23/2021 at 2:39 AM, sinsinbad said:

I enjoy bike riding--both motorcycle and bicycle, but the PI is dangerous for both, but more so for bicycles IMO.  

When I went through base indoctrination in Cubi Pt many years ago when I first got stationed here they covered driving in the Philippines. They discouraged it but said however if you do there’s really only one motor law in the Philippines, it’s “the law of gross tonnage” whoever has the biggest vehicle has the right if way. If you’re on a bike you almost don’t exist, your a fly to be swat if you get in the way. I’ve had some close calls but i’ve learned to mitigate them by just giving way even when I have the right of way and hugging the shoulder, unfortunately I get my share of flats because there’s lot’s of road waste. My biggest problem on the motorcycle is actually other motorcycles, those little Honda’s and scooters sneak up on your blind side and you have to be careful to keep your position in your own lane, they have no fear.

• Like 1