Current Flu season numbers

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

This is in the US, I didn't dig around to find other countries:

Although the media are focused on the coronavirus and the two fatalities that have taken place in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), influenza and related pneumonia are widespread across the country.

“CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 32 million flu illnesses, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths from flu,” the CDC’s weekly Influenza Surveillance Report said as of February 22, 2020.

“The percentage of death attributed to pneumonia and influenza is 6.9 percent, below the epidemic threshold of 7.3 percent,” the CDC reported.

Among the deaths are more than 100 children.

“Twenty influenza-associated pediatric deaths occurring during the 2019-2020 season were reported this week,” the CDC reported. “The total for the season is 125.”

“This number [of pediatric deaths] is higher for the same time period than in every season since reporting began in 2004-05, except for the 2009 pandemic,” the CDC reported.

But overall, flu activity was down, according to the CDC.

“Key indicators that track flu activity remain high but decreased for the second week in a row,” the CDC reported. “Severity indicators (hospitalizations and deaths) remain moderate to low overall, but hospitalization rates differ by age group, with high rates among children and young adults.”

The CDC also released information on the effectiveness of this year’s vaccines.

Interim estimates of 2019-2020 flu vaccine effectiveness were released last week,” the CDC reported. “So far this season, flu vaccines are reducing doctor’s visits for flu illness by 45 percent overall and 55 percent in children.”

A CDC map shows that every state and U.S. territories have reported cases of the flu, with the District of Columbia and Idaho with low levels and Florida and the U.S. Virgin Islands with minimal levels.  

Jack D
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Although the media are focused on the coronavirus and the two fatalities that have taken place in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), influenza and related pneumonia are widespread across the country.

It wouldn't be as bad if people would get their Flu Shots .... So, Why do so many people avoid getting the Seasonal Flu Vaccination?

Over Half of Unvaccinated Adults Cited Negative Perceptions About Vaccines

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB9572.html

• Hmm thinking 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I've had influenza once.  It's not a head cold, it's not the sniffles, if you have influenza, you know all about it.  I was basically bed-ridden for two weeks barely able to move to eat.  High fever, headaches, aching all over, lots of snot and coughing, secondary issues due to the resultant compromised immune system.  

I've had my flu shot every year since.  No it's not 100% effective against the multiple strains out there but it's something. 

• Like 5

RBM
Posted
Posted

Kinda puts it in perspective.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Flu Vaccine not in stock here, won't be available until May.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Sad 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Flu Vaccine not in stock here, won't be available until May.

That's because it's too late for this year and May is getting ready for next winters flu season.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The company I worked for would hire a nurse for two days each year to come to the office and give flu shots to our employees and their families.   The  employees who took advantage of the free shots were always grateful and I was surprised that more did not take part.

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

I won't advise anyone to skip getting shots if they think they need it. 

I only did 4 years in the military, and the annual flu shots would make me sick every time.  So I have not taken them since.  I did get throwing-up sick one time back in the early 00's, probably was the flu I guess.  Ex wife stayed in the Air Guard for a whole career, and she still got sick numerous times.  

I have taken travel-related vaccines at different times, depending on where I was going and what was recommended.  I look at vaccines like you have to do what works best for you. 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

In the UK our supermarkets with an in house dispensary do them, you often hear a call go out over the tanoy for Doris on the tills to go to the dispensary :Caught: Beats waiting 3 weeks to get in to the loca! surgery.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

I won't advise anyone to skip getting shots if they think they need it. 

I only did 4 years in the military, and the annual flu shots would make me sick every time.  So I have not taken them since.  I did get throwing-up sick one time back in the early 00's, probably was the flu I guess.  Ex wife stayed in the Air Guard for a whole career, and she still got sick numerous times.  

I have taken travel-related vaccines at different times, depending on where I was going and what was recommended.  I look at vaccines like you have to do what works best for you. 

I have only had one flu shot. I was 19 in US Navy bootcamp. They asked before the shot if you were allergic to eggs/chicken. I stated I had been as a child. They still gave me the flu shot. A few hours later I was having an allergic reaction. My hands and feet got numb. My hands were so numb I couldn't untie my shoes. The most common flu vaccine is produced using eggs in a way that concentrates whatever I was allergic to as a child. I have never taken a flu shot since then and would get the sniffles/cough maybe once a year but only had a bad case of the flu a few times.

• Sad 1