From US: Should I apply for a 60 day visa before going or just extend when I’m there?

Connor94
Posted
Posted

I plan on staying in the Philippines for a long time but I am not sure which is easier/less of a hassle. Should I just by a 1 month round trip ticket and extend it each month for as long as I see fit in the Philippines? Can I do that? Or do I need to enter the country with a tourist visa from US before being able to extend my trip like that? 

I know that I can extend to just about 2 years, I learned that on this forum. But what I do not know is how other Americans here typically started their long stay. With a 1 month ticket or a 59 day visa? 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Connor94 said:

I plan on staying in the Philippines for a long time but I am not sure which is easier/less of a hassle. Should I just by a 1 month round trip ticket and extend it each month for as long as I see fit in the Philippines? Can I do that? Or do I need to enter the country with a tourist visa from US before being able to extend my trip like that? 

I know that I can extend to just about 2 years, I learned that on this forum. But what I do not know is how other Americans here typically started their long stay. With a 1 month ticket or a 59 day visa? 

Welcome to the forum

Personally I dont think you read anything here as the information is there and has not changed much for a long time.

First you do not need a return ticket but you do need an onward ticket which can be to anywhere. Work out what is cheaper for you and also known as a throw away ticket.

As a US citizen you just enter without a visa.

It's not 2 years but it as of this date been 3 years for a long time which you can start again when you leave before 3 years and  come back perhaps the next day and start again. 

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Connor94 said:

You’ll need your return or onward ticket before leaving the USA - the airline will ask for it when you check in at your primary point of departure. 

You automatically get a 30 day visa upon entry into the Philippines, but you can get a 59 day (technically it’s a 29 day extension) at both Manila and Cebu airports. It’s the easiest way and very fast. You will need pesos to pay for it - about 3k (every time I get one the price seems to vary by a few pesos). Search the forum again as detailed instructions for getting the extension at the airport have been posted in the past by others as well as by me. 

Welcome to the forum, good luck and safe travels. 

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Have a look at AirAsia to Kota Kinabalu ( sabah Malaysia )..they have usually been the cheapest throwaway tickets. .although KK itself is a reasonable town, and its cheap to stay there,  so you may want to use ticket some time