How's that retirement penson going?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I told my self DON"T open those investment plan emails.

But no.... I had to look. :Caught::boohoo:

Hope you all are doing Okay.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I told myself not to look.  So far I have not looked. :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

It'll probably recover in a few months. My retirement account is our house in the PI which is unlikely to lose value.The Little Woman's retirement account doesn't gain as much as most in a bull market, but it's hedged every which way and has an ironclad guaranteed return.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I don't have an investment pension plan as such.  I have the UK state pension so it is what it is, and 4 personal pensions - 3 are so-called defined benefit schemes so should be OK as long as the companies make up any shortfall (out of my control) and 1 defined contribution which is directly affected by the markets.  Honestly speaking, the state pension is the one I'm banking on to put food on the table and the others are a bonus.  

• Like 5

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Me and the wife each have our UK state pensions ( hers based on my contributions )

I have 2 private pensions one pays a fixed amount each month and the other pays out once a year infact it pays out every march 🤣

And the wife has her own gsis pension each month.

Overrall we are financially ok our home we built and paid for our only large payment is our car which has one more year to go.. life is good

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Patience is a great teacher as far as markets are concerned. Panic is the opposite of patience.

Algorithms all say sell so everyone sells... then the reverse is true. Economies generally were all in good shape before and will be again.

There are some brilliant opportunites in the airline , hospitality companies areas plus restaurants, supply chain companies etc. Its going to be like Christmas.. the only problem is it might not be financial Christmas, till perhaps Christmas.

Watch, wait, plan and smile when the upswing comes. As it will.  The financial world has dealt with far bigger problems than this virus, but due to our interconnected world one problem in one country manifests itself as a larger problem in another and so on.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Patience is a great teacher as far as markets are concerned. Panic is the opposite of patience.

Algorithms all say sell so everyone sells... then the reverse is true. Economies generally were all in good shape before and will be again.

There are some brilliant opportunites in the airline , hospitality companies areas plus restaurants, supply chain companies etc. Its going to be like Christmas.. the only problem is it might not be financial Christmas, till perhaps Christmas.

Watch, wait, plan and smile when the upswing comes. As it will.  The financial world has dealt with far bigger problems than this virus, but due to our interconnected world one problem in one country manifests itself as a larger problem in another and so on.

"Buy the rumour, sell the fact" and "The trend is your friend" were a couple of favourites often used by an investor guy I used to teach English to in Hong Kong.  I have to say, if it was as simple as that I doubt he'd have needed to study English as he'd be rich enough to hire minions to look after such trivial stuff!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

It is very rare for a money manager to beat the market even before he/she takes out their fees.  Diversify with no load (or small fee) index funds that mirror the markets.  Why pay a manager AND get a lower return?:sad:  Over the long haul the market is almost certain to outperform a money manager.

• Like 5