How's that retirement penson going?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 3/25/2020 at 8:45 AM, earthdome said:

My house sold and the closing was today. Just under the wire. Tomorrow at 8AM the city/county where I live is going into lockdown. It was supposed to close yesterday but the woman buying it for cash is a foreign international from china and the bank wouldn't release the funds. I was worried that we wouldn't reach close but she worked it out with her bank last night. That was close, I didn't want to get stuck holding on to it during all this economic turmoil. She came back after the inspection last week wanting a discount because of "problems" found during the inspection. She didn't ask for much so we just went with it instead of negotiating because the most important thing from my perspective was to get the sale closed.

Looks like I will be stuck with an empty house for at least a few months, until this gets resolved in Florida.  Terrible timing on my part.  I asked my realtor a few days ago, and he said their are still buyers and sellers, but definitely slower.  I'm sure I will have to accept a lower price for the house.

• Sad 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm sure I will have to accept a lower price for the house.

I've read articles talking about a 20% hit to property values, a lower price now could end up still being better than what you'd get later.

Of course only you an make that call.

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

I'd be selling my stocks now (if I had any:biggrin:) after the little rebound the last couple of days. 'Just' around 25% down now from their all time high, I'd be surprised if it doesn't go a lot lower than that.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

I'd be selling my stocks now (if I had any:biggrin:) after the little rebound the last couple of days. 'Just' around 25% down now from their all time high, I'd be surprised if it doesn't go a lot lower than that.

That's one of the reasons I don't invest in the stock market - I'd always be basing my +/- on the highest value it attained rather than simply looking at what I paid and its value now.  I'm not suited to investment in general. 

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Still on the up my shares , but any moment they could go down .

earthdome
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Looks like I will be stuck with an empty house for at least a few months, until this gets resolved in Florida.  Terrible timing on my part.  I asked my realtor a few days ago, and he said their are still buyers and sellers, but definitely slower.  I'm sure I will have to accept a lower price for the house.

Sorry to hear that. I verified that the money from the sale was in our account yesterday. We are so fortunate to have been able to get the sale done before the lockdown and without the buyer backing out due to the economic turmoil. Hope things settle down quickly and the markets recover some so you can get yours sold.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I've read articles talking about a 20% hit to property values, a lower price now could end up still being better than what you'd get later.

Of course only you an make that call.

Of course, it will be different in each market.  Going into selling I was always going to be flexible on my price because I didn't want selling to take forever.  Then my realtor actually suggested a higher starting price than I had been anticipating. Less than two years ago I had a contract with my tenant to buy it for almost 20% less than I am asking now.  He couldn't pull it off and prices went up a lot in the time since then.

So, I have a bit of wiggle room and have my fingers crossed that a buyer will be out there in the next few months.

• Like 3